Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-14-2014, 07:29 AM

Default Grizzly Question

Hey all,
found a spot West of Rocky Mountain House that is easily accessible from town and doesn't seem to be (don't want to hex myself) over run by quads. I have had trail cameras set up for atleast a month now and moving them around a bit to monitor for higher traffic areas. I found one crossing that seems quite popular having caught everything from some does, younger bucks and a couple (to me) decent white tail bucks, and even a couple moose so I set up a couple ground blinds a while ago, thinned some lines of sight and a couple good shooting lanes (invested) and set cameras up on the blinds....well I then caught three wolves on one occasion, but luckily the deer kept travelling through. Now here starts my issue...last week I caught a mother big grizzly on my camera (in between camera and blind...about 10 yds from blind)...some guys say I should just pack it up and get the hell outa there...what's all your guy's thoughts/experiences???? I am quite invested into this area for my bow hunt, and because I managed to be lucky enough to catch some cool pictures of a grizzly, I question living and hunting west of Rocky, simply because guys don't get pictures or sightings of grizzlies doesn't mean they're still not around. Like I said I am quite invested and feel confident with this spot so I am a little bias, so I thought I would throw it out to all you for some impartial feedback. thanks.
Old 08-14-2014, 07:58 AM

Well for starters... PICS OR IT NEVER HAPPENED.

As for the grizzly... If it were me, I'd go ahead and hunt there. But I would definitely keep a weary eye out for those bears. Make sure to have mace and such as a deterrent in case its needed. I'm sure there's lots of people here who know better than myself about this situation so hopefully they comment. Bears can travel a long ways in even 1 day so theres a good chance she's not in the area anymore too. Again, JMHO... I could be wrong
Old 08-14-2014, 08:05 AM

I bowhunted for 20 years just South of you near Swan lake, it was hot...tons of moose and one of the best elk herds east of the mountains...

Then SunPine Pulp moved thru...very quickly ...within a year the predators moved in...Wolves, Cougars and even Grizzlys...

It was crazy...from a stand we could see a half dozen wolves chasing moose thru...cougar were a common sight...five a week and three in one night...couple buddys got stalked...saw Grizzly on trail to stand...let it have it that night...

Couple of the gang had cougars come in sit under the stand and scream...

Would get successful on a moose ..over 40 punture marks in hocks from wolves...cougar or bear claw marks on neck/shoulder area....still have that salted hide somewhere...then one year we saw 50 cow moose not one calf....than moose went down so low thats when they put them on draw...

The Elk population went so low they simply dissapeared from the area...
deer populations went up with the predator population...

So to answer question...there is likely a lot of big game animals in the area...or its dwindling to lower populations and over run by predators...

I will guarentee you ...you will see cougars also...

In one night in stand I had a P&Y black bear come in...1/2 later a huge book cougar...and later a book whitetail that was on coil springs it was so wound up...
At sundown wolves howled in the distance...

Walking out in the dark that night ...I was like the whitetail...walking on coil springs...I was crossing a muskeg spring when at head height a Ruffy Grouse that was roosting the night...took off like a bulldozer thru the trees...
I think I soiled my fancys and went straight up in the air...running before I hit ground

So it can be a errie feeling at dark when leaving stands...a very bright flashlight is a good idea...as is bear spray in that area...

It is what it is...I say hunt it but just keep your guard up and dont get careless...prepare with bear spray, flashlights, CELL PH...etc...

If area is scrace on big game due to preadtors...then move...but that whole foot hill region is wayyyy over populated with predators...

I Love the area , love bow hunting so I would be out there every chance I could get..

Neil
Old 08-14-2014, 09:13 AM

Default Griz pics

Thanks guys...I will transfer pics to bucket and try to load...have to disregard the date/time stamps..too lazy to adjust each time. And you're right Neil, I was only a few miles from this spot last year when I had a couger cross under me when in a tree stand....probably a week and a half later I was able to catch the pack half of em on one of my cameras. I do love the area and feel lucky to hunt it...I do carry, but with no excuse do carry bear spray...*will get some and start ;-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Trail cam July 17-29 further up wet north trail (2 strips) 004.jpg (127.8 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg bear.jpg (140.6 KB, 256 views)

Last edited by waterboy; 08-14-2014 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Adding pics
Old 08-14-2014, 10:01 AM

Got any more pics? It looks like a brown phase black bear to me.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
No way, I'd say grizz from the visible hump on the back in pic #2
Old 08-14-2014, 10:19 AM

You hunt in an area that has things that can hunt u.

It's a much more interesting game now.

Be careful and have fun.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 08-14-2014, 10:24 AM

Ya saw your pic on other trail cam post...its a biggun too!!!...they can have a 50 square mile territory so you may never see it again...OR time it just right...lol

I knew bowhunters that were so spooked, like the bowhunters that had cougars scream at them..[even saw the pics] and the ones that were stalked in plain view..one guy was both.

Anyway they actually carried shotguns for a couple years...legal as there is a bear season...but "controversial"...but they felt safe...
I carried bear spray with a quick holster...felt a little better...lol

Neil
Old 08-14-2014, 12:21 PM

I actually got a handful of pics from this time, but some aren't too clear. I wish it was a black bear...be a nice rug! If you look really close you can just barely see my blind/window in the far right edge of the picture. I will hunt it Neil...as I said I do carry, but bear spray can't hurt and is on the list...hopefully won't need it ;-)
Old 08-15-2014, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Color looks right, but look at the hump and small ears on pic 2.

OP: absolutely get bear spray, and equally important, a way to deploy it from your chest. I've seen lots of fancy holsters, but I always use something like this:

Two cans means 28 seconds of spray time. I wear it in front of my chest just above my pack's waist band. Never had to use it yet, but have had some close encounters where I got it ready. Very easy and fast to deploy, and a lot easier to aim a cloud than a slug.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:12 PM

Thanks W.S., I picked up a cannister last night from Canadian Tire and they didn't have a pouch, so I will have to try to find something like you got....where did you get it?
Old 08-15-2014, 05:19 PM

MEC, I'm afraid. Guessing there's no such granola factories in your neck of the woods. Maybe they deliver? Otherwise you may have to wait for your next trip to Red Deer. There should be some kind of runner's store there.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:24 PM

WOW

That would certainly get the adrenaline going whilst sitting in the blind. (best take some poo tickets)

We have nothing like that here, the odd pack of wild dogs, Tiger Snakes, Brown Snakes, Black Snakes (and a few others) and big pigs but they won't hunt you, Crocs will hunt you, but ya need to put yourself near water for that to happen.

What are the legal options to defend against a bear in that sort of country?
Old 08-15-2014, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wastednights View Post
What are the legal options to defend against a bear in that sort of country?
They're protected from hunting, but if one comes for you, you can shoot it. They'll investigate, but it's easy to see grizzly tracks running toward a big pile of empty 12 gauge hulls and know what happened.
Old 08-15-2014, 09:12 PM

Agreed...I am a little aprehensive/conscious going in now to switch cards and do carry, but my biggest thought/concern now is the night kill and dealing with it and getting it out in the dark....was never a supporter of night lights until now. lol. All jokes aside, more cautious is better than nieve I guess...bow season still can't come soon enough!!
Old 08-15-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy View Post
Agreed...I am a little aprehensive/conscious going in now to switch cards and do carry, but my biggest thought/concern now is the night kill and dealing with it and getting it out in the dark....was never a supporter of night lights until now. lol. All jokes aside, more cautious is better than nieve I guess...bow season still can't come soon enough!!
You're not alone in the grizz category ,we have em out here on the prairie and this falls bow season is gonna be a little hairy where I'd like to go .Saw a large sow and 2 big cubs there last night and the thought of bumping into them out here in the flat lands doesn't thrill me .I'm getting a little tired of hearing the part about bears being prairie animals way back when , it still is unnerving seeing them out here where the nearest tree is in a farmers windbreak . Stay safe and hope you have success .
Old 08-15-2014, 09:52 PM
Banned

Default nope

I wouldn't be hunting in a ground blind is all ...
Old 08-15-2014, 10:06 PM
Banned

Quote:
That's definitely a griz.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:10 PM

Still gotta hunt it but be Bear Aware, it's a sow can't quite tell on the phone if there is a cub. If there is , her primary concern is to protect the cub. In this instance scent control is not a help to you, introducing a scent that tells her to stay away but not deer or elk could be tough. Maybe wolf urine on your route from the truck for a 100 yrds or so. Pack Bear spray for sure . If the sow gets a feeling it s not safe she will move on, but if you surprise her all hell could break loose... Play it safe .

Last edited by super7mag; 08-15-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.O.S.T.Arrow View Post

Walking out in the dark that night ...I was like the whitetail...walking on coil springs...I was crossing a muskeg spring when at head height a Ruffy Grouse that was roosting the night...took off like a bulldozer thru the trees...
I think I soiled my fancys and went straight up in the air...running before I hit ground

Neil
Hahaha, good times, still remember your face when you got back to camp....

As others have said hunt it, just be careful and have backup, bear spray, shotgun or both....easily accessible....