Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-05-2014, 05:21 PM

Default Shrink Fletchings

Has anyone tried the Bohning Blazer Shrink Fletch Vanes from cabelas? I have heard good things about the quick fletch but I don't think cabela's carries them.

I have a half dozen arrows where the fletching was hitting my rest as I was told to orientate it with the white fletching up, but down is the only way as it will not hit anything with the drop away rest. So a few fletchings have a bit of a wave to them, and I'd rather not use the arrow in case it puts unwanted drag forces on the arrow.
I know I could just replace the one vane, but I'd rather have a clean job instead of glue all over the place.
Any thoughts on the shrink vanes are appreciated.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2014, 08:37 AM

They work great... havent heard any bad reports if done right...older ones were iffy in super cold weather..

the heat shrink with Quick spin vanes were chewing up Ugly Cookies...but they should have known that and switched to the blazers..

BTW any wavey vane can be straightened like new...clean with soap and fine steel wool....dry and than use a hair dryer to heat vane ...dont over heat but get it warm to the touch....it will look worse while heating them...let cool and they magically straighten out like new...

Neil
Old 08-06-2014, 08:08 PM

Thanks, I might try to straighten them out first. Cheers
Old 08-06-2014, 08:52 PM

i shot the quick fletch type blazers for awhile. they are alright but do have a different flight path then my same arrows without them.

i also noticed that any little nick in the shrink tubing amd you might as well strip them off amd put a new one on. they will come apart real quick once there is a nick in them.

i have gone back to normal blazers glued to the arrows. my buddy has fletched them for me and my arrows are grouping really well.
Old 08-10-2014, 02:11 PM

You should have a look at Starrfilght F.O.B.'s. They can be installed in seconds and shoot well even when damaged and there is no waiting for glue to dry or glue mess after install..... cause they don't use any. Can also make real quick repairs in camp if needed. They can also be index to your broad-heads easily vs indexing your broad-head to your fletchings. You can check out on You Tube