Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-09-2014, 01:45 PM

Default First round of firearms act reforms are a done deal!!

This is good news i am surprised i have not seen a thread or 4 on it yet.
One of the next reforms they are pushing for now is getting most restricted rifles off the list.among others.
Baby steps but i'll take it.
Old 08-09-2014, 02:19 PM

I urge you to at least sign the petition for the next round of reforms if you have not done so already.
When they completly get rid of the restricted classification and mag capacity b.s we can stop to celebrate.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:10 PM

What has changed?
Old 08-09-2014, 03:14 PM

There was a thread about the proposed amendments, but I haven't seen anything on the news about those amendments being passed into law. Do you have a link?
Old 08-09-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
What has changed?
1.The decision to reclassify the swiss arms and cz-858 has been rescinded.
2.There will be a grace period at the end of 5 yr licence.
3.The p.o.l is merged with the p.a.l
4.a.t.t is merged with restricted license.
5.chief firearms officers will be reined in.

I would like some specifics hopefully they will be short coming.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There was a thread about the proposed amendments, but I haven't seen anything on the news about those amendments being passed into law. Do you have a link?
Just the email i got from the conservatives.Anyone who signed the petition should of been notified directly of the good news.
Sorry but im about 96% tech illiterate and also on my cell or i would post it.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:51 PM

Is this what you are referring to?

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/sunnews...23-125833.html

The reclassifications were not actually rescinded, but an amnesty was granted until 2016, where the owners can use the firearms, but can't sell them. It's a far cry from rescinding the reclassification.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 08-09-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:56 PM

The day I can bring a handgun into the bush is the day ill get my restricted. Not really impressed with those changes. Still a pain in the arse to shoot a restricted weapon.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:17 PM

Quote:

The reclassifications were not actually rescinded, but an amnesty was granted until 2016, where the owners can use the firearms, but can't sell them. It's a far cry from rescinding the reclassification.
Mmmmmmm ......in the info they sent me it says word for word..

The decision to reclassify the swiss arms and cz-858 rifles has been rescinded.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:

And use means on an approved range, even the non-restricted version.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:27 PM

Keep in mind merging the att with the rpal will not give us the right to store a restricted firearm in the trunk.

Colin.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:29 PM

But I am curious if I still require an associate membership (ala shooting edge) or if I can transport as a walk in.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:32 PM

Default Message from Rob Anders

I think he is referring to this message sent out by Rob Anders soliciting funds for another campaign. The following text is copied from that message.

You did it. You signed my petition to reform the firearms act and we got the reforms we wanted from the government.

Here is a list of the common sense reforms in the firearms act:

The decision to reclassify the Swiss Arms and CZ-858 rifles has been rescinded.
There will be a grace period at the end of the five-year licence.
The possession only licence (POL) will be merged with the possession and acquisition licence (PAL).
The Authorization to Transport certificate will be merged with a restricted licence.
Chief Firearms Officers will be reined in.

Do these reforms sound familiar?

They should because it was petitions and efforts to contact your representatives that made these changes happen.

We were able to spread petitions far and wide in my last campaign.

We need representatives who listen and are able to make reforms in Ottawa. I know you share my enthusiasm for reforms to the firearms act and there is more to do.

Sign my new petition to make further reforms to the firearms act.

You see, when I was first elected I stood up against the liberals who passed the gun registry and wanted to take guns away from responsible owners.

Now, we're facing a challenge from Justin Trudeau in the next election.

That's why I'm running for the nomination in Bow River.

If Justin Trudeau and his band of liberals win the next federal election they'll bring back the long-gun registry, restrict semi-automatic rifles, and get rid of hand guns altogether.

Justin Trudeau's policy plan is to take firearms from gun owners on a massive scale and hand over rim-fire rifles, pump shotguns, and registered target shooting pistols to the RCMP.

Together, you and I can save Canada from another liberal government that wants to punish responsible gun owners rather than violent criminals.

In the last few months I've pushed the government on your behalf to make common sense reforms to the firearms act.

A contribution to my nomination campaign can keep these common sense reforms on the government agenda.

We can't stop here -

That's why I'm proposing we make the government push the envelope further by:

Encouraging more public ranges so more citizens can safely enjoy the shooting sports.
Removing the restricted classification on rifles arbitrarily classified as restricted.
Lowering the waiting period for a licence from 28 days to 14 days.
Increasing the term of a licence from 5 years to 10.
Enshrining the right to defend your home.

We worked together to make the last changes happen. Now we can work together again to put our issues on the government agenda once more.

I'm asking for your continued support because we're witnessing what happens when you take action.

That's why I need you to take action once more, sign the new firearms petition, and make a donation of $25 so we can push the government to make more of the changes we like to see.

Yours truly,
Rob Anders
http://www.voteanders.ca/
Rob Anders - Bow River · 176 W Creek Close, Chestermere, AB T1X 1M3, Canada
This email was sent to goodallb@nucleus.com. To stop receiving emails, click here.
You can also keep up with Rob Anders on Twitter.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKG View Post
I think he is referring to this message sent out by Rob Anders soliciting funds for another campaign. The following text is copied from that message.

You did it. You signed my petition to reform the firearms act and we got the reforms we wanted from the government.

Here is a list of the common sense reforms in the firearms act:

The decision to reclassify the Swiss Arms and CZ-858 rifles has been rescinded.
There will be a grace period at the end of the five-year licence.
The possession only licence (POL) will be merged with the possession and acquisition licence (PAL).
The Authorization to Transport certificate will be merged with a restricted licence.
Chief Firearms Officers will be reined in.

Do these reforms sound familiar?

They should because it was petitions and efforts to contact your representatives that made these changes happen.

We were able to spread petitions far and wide in my last campaign.

We need representatives who listen and are able to make reforms in Ottawa. I know you share my enthusiasm for reforms to the firearms act and there is more to do.

Sign my new petition to make further reforms to the firearms act.

You see, when I was first elected I stood up against the liberals who passed the gun registry and wanted to take guns away from responsible owners.

Now, we're facing a challenge from Justin Trudeau in the next election.

That's why I'm running for the nomination in Bow River.

If Justin Trudeau and his band of liberals win the next federal election they'll bring back the long-gun registry, restrict semi-automatic rifles, and get rid of hand guns altogether.

Justin Trudeau's policy plan is to take firearms from gun owners on a massive scale and hand over rim-fire rifles, pump shotguns, and registered target shooting pistols to the RCMP.

Together, you and I can save Canada from another liberal government that wants to punish responsible gun owners rather than violent criminals.

In the last few months I've pushed the government on your behalf to make common sense reforms to the firearms act.

A contribution to my nomination campaign can keep these common sense reforms on the government agenda.

We can't stop here -

That's why I'm proposing we make the government push the envelope further by:

Encouraging more public ranges so more citizens can safely enjoy the shooting sports.
Removing the restricted classification on rifles arbitrarily classified as restricted.
Lowering the waiting period for a licence from 28 days to 14 days.
Increasing the term of a licence from 5 years to 10.
Enshrining the right to defend your home.

We worked together to make the last changes happen. Now we can work together again to put our issues on the government agenda once more.

I'm asking for your continued support because we're witnessing what happens when you take action.

That's why I need you to take action once more, sign the new firearms petition, and make a donation of $25 so we can push the government to make more of the changes we like to see.

Yours truly,
Rob Anders
http://www.voteanders.ca/
Rob Anders - Bow River · 176 W Creek Close, Chestermere, AB T1X 1M3, Canada
This email was sent to goodallb@nucleus.com. To stop receiving emails, click here.
You can also keep up with Rob Anders on Twitter.
He used different wording than was in the news releases, and I have yet to see anything official about the proposals actually being enacted into law.
Old 08-09-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
He used different wording than was in the news releases, and I have yet to see anything official about the proposals actually being enacted into law.
That is because it hasn't been. The House of Commons is adjourned until Monday, September 15, 2014. Until such time as there is actual legislation tabled, all we have is propaganda and spin.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:12 AM

As for the POL and PAL merging, I wonder if POL cards will now be honoured to purchase now or if new ones will be issued. I suppose a new one with a hit of $50 or so.
Old 08-10-2014, 07:49 AM

17. b) Within the last two (2) years have you lived in a conjugal relationship other than with the person you may have referred to in question 17. a)?

The questions about your past relations need to come out. I have yet to find anywhere else that the government can collect information about your love life.

do not forget: "The signatures of your current or former conjugal partners is not legally required. However, if their signatures is not provided, the Chief Firearms Officer has a duty to notify them of your application for a firearms licence."
Old 08-10-2014, 08:01 AM

Well this contradicting info is lovely i wonder how many people have unknowingly commited "criminal" acts thanks to rob anders miss information if it is indeed wrong.
Old 08-10-2014, 09:02 AM

Default search AO for Anders

BANG, before signing Bob Anders' petition try searching his name in this forum, then decide whether the current survey is worth signing.

One thread to search for is "A Calgary Muslim leader says target promotes hatred"

Anders may mean well but he like a bull in a china shop. This time, he is spinning the government's proposed reforms to raise $ for his PC nomination bid. As pointed out above, Parliament has yet to vote in those reforms.