Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-08-2014, 03:58 PM

Default ts or sako

The a7 clip is not made to top load like the sako 75 or 85 ,also if trying to cycle a round in the a7 in the mags theirs is a lot of pressure on the 3 shot stacked in the magazine and when loaded with three shots sometimes in the mag the second round follows the third one and you end up with two shells trying to get into the chamber,not about the number of rounds ,it,s trying to get the first one in where the problem is,in the the mags if only two is in the clip less problems. I have owned 5 a7 and 15 or so 75 or 85s,the a7 is very accurate and fine rifle but it is not a sako 85 or 75 at all.I am talking about magnum calibers loaded with longer necked bullets like bergers and such.I have a ts in 223 and 270 and 22 50 they are just good as a sako 85or 75,also a7 in same cals know problems what so ever.BUY a sako in the 75 or 85 if your buying a magnum,you will not regret it.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:52 PM

I have the Tikka Superlite and my old man has a Sako Bavarian. Biggest down side to the tikka, IMO, is not being able to top load the magazine. Both guns shoot great.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:17 PM

I have owned both and will never own another 85. Buy the Tikka and take the extra $800 and put it into optics and you'll be further ahead.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc View Post
I have owned both and will never own another 85. Buy the Tikka and take the extra $800 and put it into optics and you'll be further ahead.
What problem did you have with the 85 if you don't mind me asking?
Old 08-08-2014, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
What problem did you have with the 85 if you don't mind me asking?
I made the mistake of buying one in a magnum caliber. I discovered very quickly that the gun had a pretty wicked jump and that the barrel was not made for any kind of target shooting. What I mean by that is if I took two shots a couple minutes apart I would get a good group but if I took a third my group would start to open up very fast. I did buy the gun to hunt with but was a little discouraged when I couldn't have very much fun at the range with it. I ended up taking mine to a gunsmith who said he gets a lot of 85 finnlights through his doors with the same complaints. I basically threw the stock and barrel away and went with aftermarket stock/barrel and kept the action. I now love the gun and should as I have a small fortune into it lol. In all seriousness if you are looking for a light sheep gun the 85 finnlight would probably be quite nice. If you want one that can double as a fun range gun then I would look at something else especially if you are looking at a mag caliber.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Tikka's shoot great however there are a few draw backs IMO. One the option to top load a rifle, while you can single shot load a Tikka to add more than one shell or to fill the magazine you have to remove from the rifle where as the Sako can be fully loaded from the top.
Tikka's have polymer where Sakos' have metal (magazine, trigger guard, bolt shroud, floor plate)
Sako's have three locking lugs on the bolt and also a three position safety where Tikka has two locking lug and a two position saftey.
Sako has a one piece bolt and Tikka uses a two piece bolt.
The stock on a Sako finnlight is nothing special but still much better than the Tikka.
The magazine on a Sako holds more shells than the Tikka also the Sako Magazine is flush with the floorplate/stock where the Tikka sticks out a good half inch.
All that said in the end the Sako is a better rifle with a overall better fit and finnish.

I shoot Sako!!
I think Mike has just about covered it.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:44 AM

Default sako or tikka

THE 85 comes in more models than a finnlight ,the 85L stainless is great shooter,even the a7 is good shooter,with an a7 in 7mm just out off the box with 50 rounds down it I shot 5 shots for a 6 inch group at 600 yards 'not on some bench either of the hood of the truck with bipods .Iknow guys that can't do that with 6000 dollar guns.sako is a fine rifle but like any rifle it only performs the best with the right loads and pressures .Guys make big mistakes when loading to heavy, slow it down 100 or even 150 ft per second in the finnlight mags or the t3 because it is a lighter rifle.Take it from 3000 to 2875 and it's like day and night.
Old 08-09-2014, 04:08 AM

If you want a mountain gun I say neither. The Finnlite is not actually very light, despite it's name. There are several rifles in the same price class or less that are way lighter. For less than a Finnlite you could get a Kimber Montana that has a way better stock, the stock on the Finnlight is shameful for the price of the rifle, and is a full pound lighter. Not to mention the Kimber is glass and pillar bedded from factory and has a better trigger.

The Tikka is a light and accurate gun at a good price. I personally think the mag pops out too easy and I hate the plastic bolt shroud and bottom metal. The stocks are also awful injection molded crap, but that is typical in the price range.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
I made the mistake of buying one in a magnum caliber. I discovered very quickly that the gun had a pretty wicked jump and that the barrel was not made for any kind of target shooting. What I mean by that is if I took two shots a couple minutes apart I would get a good group but if I took a third my group would start to open up very fast. I did buy the gun to hunt with but was a little discouraged when I couldn't have very much fun at the range with it. I ended up taking mine to a gunsmith who said he gets a lot of 85 finnlights through his doors with the same complaints. I basically threw the stock and barrel away and went with aftermarket stock/barrel and kept the action. I now love the gun and should as I have a small fortune into it lol. In all seriousness if you are looking for a light sheep gun the 85 finnlight would probably be quite nice. If you want one that can double as a fun range gun then I would look at something else especially if you are looking at a mag caliber.
Well it sounds like your taking a pick up to a drag race. If it's a bench rifle you wanted, the TRG would have been a better choice. Recoil is a matter of physics, any light rifle in a magnum caliber is going to give you a mule kick. It doesn't sound like there was anything wrong with your 85, maybe your expectations were a bit unrealistic.

It would be great to have a light weight, heavy barrel, magnum rifle with a silky smooth bolt and crisp trigger that doesn't kick, but physics says that's just not possible. I have a Finnlight in 300wsm that I have no problem putting 5 consecutive rounds in an inch. Being a 6lb 300 magnum it's not going to be my first choice to sit on the bench with for an afternoon of fun, but it is my first choice to pack on an elk hunt. It's much nicer to pack than a Weatherby Accumark or a Cooper Jackson Hunter, this I know from experience.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:58 PM

No I don't think my expectations were unrealistic and I never said I wanted a bench gun. What I did want was a gun that I could take more than two accurate consecutive shots from. A gun that I could hunt with and still have some fun with on the range. You say your 300 can handle 5 consecutive and still hold a group. If my 7mm would have done that then I wouldn't have thrown half of it in the garbage can and would have been more than content.
Old 08-09-2014, 10:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
No I don't think my expectations were unrealistic and I never said I wanted a bench gun. What I did want was a gun that I could take more than two accurate consecutive shots from. A gun that I could hunt with and still have some fun with on the range. You say your 300 can handle 5 consecutive and still hold a group. If my 7mm would have done that then I wouldn't have thrown half of it in the garbage can and would have been more than content.
My point is Sako has a 5 shot MOA guarantee, you didn't have to throw that barrel and stock in the garbage, you could have sent it back to Sako for warranty and a 6lb magnum isn't going to be fun on the bench for long no matter who builds it. Thinking it would be seems unrealistic to me. Sako had problems with the bedding blocks on the finnlight a few years back, if you had one of those they would have fixed it to fix your accuracy issue, but the only fix for recoil is more weight or less powder, that's all I'm saying.

I'm no fanboy of Sako by any means, I just bought my first 3 this past year. I've owned a few high(ish) end rifles and find the Finnlihht to be an outstanding hunting rifle. Not the most accurate rifles I have owned but plenty accurate for a light weight hunting rifle.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:12 PM

I've hunted with a Tikka T3 Featherlite chambered in 270win for 7 years now. It's a great rifle, accurate, light, smooth action, and tough. There is no need to worry about the polymer parts on the Tikka they will take a lot of abuse. I would buy another without another thought. My hunting partner has the identical rifle in 300wm (blued instead of the s/s mine is built from)and while it does recoil more than my 270 it is still pretty manageable. That said I would love to have the Sako Finnlight as well.