Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-31-2014, 10:32 AM

I have a 7-08 in an 85, and 257wby and soon a 22-250 in a 75. I also have a 30-06 in an AV which is pretty nice. Bolt is smoother in the older AV and finish is probably a little nicer.

Chuck Norris and Mr. T walked into a bar. The bar was instantly destroyed, as that level of awesome cannot be contained in one building
Old 07-31-2014, 10:48 AM

I have an A7, its a one hole gun with Berger's. I also own a battery of Tikka's, they are a poor mans Sako that are outstanding as well. They are so accurate its sick.

I think they are the best production guns on the market IMO.

The wood stocked ones are too heavy I believe though for carrying all day, etc.

Great weapons.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:15 PM

I have a sako in a 85 hunter, 6.5x55 I have never shot a better rifle. I have only been hunting about ten years but in that time I have never heard anything bad about a sako with the exception of the a7 some people don't think the quality is the same as other sako products but they are 100's less.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:45 PM

Default for years I have been saying

Bring me all your unwanted Sako rifles and I will give them a loving home. In all these years not a single one has been dropped off!!!
Dont even see that many of them used come up for sale so I am thinking those that have them keep them for a reason.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I guess the better question would be to ask, "How many of you regret buying a Sako rifle?"

Doubt you would get many people.

There are production guns that are as good, but I don't think you can early say that there are better production guns. That would be pretty subjective statement.

So did the OP buy one yet?
I don't know if I regret buying my Sako 85 Hunter but my experience has left me a bit gun shy (pun not intended!) of them.

I bought one in 300WSM about 7 years ago, beautiful wood, smooth action and I put a B&C Leupold on the top but when I took it to the range, it would group a couple nice and close and then the rest would wander off. I had friends shoot the rifle, and switched the scope to Zeiss with the same results. I finally tracked down someone who got the rifle shooting consistently but it took a bit of doing. And I believe that it was on this forum that some other folks were having the same issue.

It just seemed to me that if an individual spends that kind of money on a rifle that it should shoot better than it did. It has made me a bit leary of the product.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:33 AM

Default Sako convert

got my first Sako this year (finnlite model) and I am a convert. Was going to get A custom made until i cam across this gem.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:35 AM

Got my frist rifle ever a 2 years ago. Went Sako A7 7mm Rem Mag synthetic stainless. Love the rifle. Only regret would be to get it in 270 instead.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:42 PM
Banned

I love the stock fit of the 75 and 85. That is important when shooting a .338.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:11 PM

I guess it all depends on what you are going to do with the rifle. If you want an heirloom, yes this may be the rifle for you as the machining is second to no other production gun. I have a Sako 75 in .300wsm. It was my first purchase ever, and I can’t say I regret it, but it does have it downsides.

As a stock rifle it has a smooth action, and shot alright (Just over 1moa with factory ammo). It really was intended in my opinion to be a light weight, mountain rifle. Its flaws were all associated with the stock, which looks and feels great but doesn’t do a great job of holding the action, especially in the synthetic which I purchased. The recoil lug, if you want to call it that, on the 75 was small and not well fitted to the stock. After a bedding job it shot drastically better.

Even further to that, a muzzle break was a nice addition. It did nothing for the ballistics, but made the recoil more manageable with the light stock with a magnum. In the end I replaced the stock with a McMillian and can say it’s a really good platform. Aftermarket parts are few and far between, with Europe having a few items, but they are very hard to get in hand here.

Considering the price point though, I would really look at a tuned Savage 10 if you are wanting a rifle to actually walk through the bush to be honest. If you’re going after sheep, or want something to pass down to the kids it may be the way to go.
My $.02
B
Old 08-01-2014, 04:38 PM

Thumbs up

I have 3 Sakos now they are excellent. keepers.

85 in 375 h&h mag
finnbear in 30-06
trg 42 in 338 lapua mag
Old 08-02-2014, 07:39 AM

I have had sako, sold them and bought a couple M70's and low and behold I am back to Sako. They kind of spoil u. We have a couple 85 finnlights in 7-08 and a 25-06, one Sako AI .223.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor 49 View Post
I don't know if I regret buying my Sako 85 Hunter but my experience has left me a bit gun shy (pun not intended!) of them.

I bought one in 300WSM about 7 years ago, beautiful wood, smooth action and I put a B&C Leupold on the top but when I took it to the range, it would group a couple nice and close and then the rest would wander off. I had friends shoot the rifle, and switched the scope to Zeiss with the same results. I finally tracked down someone who got the rifle shooting consistently but it took a bit of doing. And I believe that it was on this forum that some other folks were having the same issue.

It just seemed to me that if an individual spends that kind of money on a rifle that it should shoot better than it did. It has made me a bit leary of the product.
Was it a problem with the bedding block? I know a few years ago they had a problem with the magnum calibers and the bedding block. Sako has addressed that issue and it's no longer a problem with the newer models.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Was it a problem with the bedding block? I know a few years ago they had a problem with the magnum calibers and the bedding block. Sako has addressed that issue and it's no longer a problem with the newer models.
I believe that it was something to do with the bedding block and as I said it was in 300 WSM. When I was looking on the forum it did seem that a few other folks were having a similar problem at the time.
Old 08-08-2014, 10:30 AM

Amazing guns, if you have the money for one you really can't make a mistake by buying one, if you dont have the money tikka's are the next best thing for a lot cheaper
Old 08-08-2014, 04:09 PM

Default sako

Just buy one,end of problems.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrteam View Post
Just buy one,end of problems.
yep
Old 08-08-2014, 09:39 PM

Smile

[QUOTE=Razor 49;2507529]I don't know if I regret buying my Sako 85 Hunter but my experience has left me a bit gun shy (pun not intended!) of them.

It just seemed to me that if an individual spends that kind of money on a rifle that it should shoot better than it did. It has made me a bit leary of the product.[/QU

I mounted a leupold 2-12 VX-6 with the Sako recommended Optilox mounts on a new Sako 85 Hunter and had the same problem. I had the same problem. The problem went away as soon as I replaced the Optilox mounts with Leupold mounts. Since then the gun is dead on, every shot.
Old 08-09-2014, 01:39 PM

Sako-maybe? High priced investment cast receivers and hammer forged barrels. Usually okay hunting rifles.

photo(59).jpg
Old 08-09-2014, 01:59 PM

Sako all the way.
I have several rifles and my 85 in 375 H&H and my old Ruger M77 in 280rem that I bought when I was 16 years old (first gun) are the only two that are never going to be sold.

Sako's action is like butter and it shoulder awesome. I also like the control feed rather than the push feed with the magnum action. The only thing I might change on her is the stock. I wanted a laminate but finding a unicorn would have been easier. I'm thinking a Boyd's is going to be on it before next years Africa trip.

Old 08-09-2014, 02:30 PM
Banned

Default Not my choice.

They are fine,if that is all that is available.