Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-31-2014, 01:52 PM

Default ReBluing

I'm wondering about Rebluing my old Ruger...I see there's do it yourself kits and products out there and I"m wondering if it's worth doing on your own or getting a pro to do it? Any experience or tips with this would be appreciated...Thanks
Old 07-31-2014, 10:17 PM

Totally depends on what you want done. If you want to do it yourself, some of the kits will give a decent finish. Preparation of the metal is all important to the quality of the job, be it home done or professionally.

Hot blue is far better than any of the cold blue methods, even the ones that are advertised a being professional quality kits.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:33 PM

Ya I'm more concerned with keeping the rust off then making it look real pretty. I seen there was some youtube video's of guys doing it. Any idea what it would cost to have it done? If it's pricey I think I'd give it a go on my own.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:24 PM

Last one I had done was a full rifle, stripped that I did all the polishing and prep on. Charge was $100. That was out in BC.

If you are basically looking at just putting a bit of a finish on it and really just doing the barrel and action, then the home brew kits might work out fine for you.

From what I understand from a gunsmith friend of mine on the coast the biggest cost is prep work. The more of that he has to do the higher the price for the bluing job, which only makes sense.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:35 PM

Hot blue is better than cold blue.

I believe Don Thompson at Holden Precision does hot bluing but I can't remember what he charges off hand.

Here's his number.
780-688-3425
Old 08-06-2014, 02:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash8 View Post
Hot blue is better than cold blue.

I believe Don Thompson at Holden Precision does hot bluing but I can't remember what he charges off hand.

Here's his number.
780-688-3425
Don't.

My Sako A1 barrel came out an interesting sky blue, not at all like the action, chamber cut about 0.006" over spec and bedding compound smeared all over the action except where he had scratched it and the bluing off. He re-profiled the barrel with a radius shoulder, after I had given him specific instructions as to how I wanted it done, making it too small to fit nicely in the barrel channel.

Made the mistake of taking it back to him to have the chamber done properly and barrel re-blued. Got it back with cold blue on barrel and smeared on to action. The headspace was fine but somehow he managed to polish the very back of the chamber out to about 0.004" over spec which is not nice on brass.

Rifle is at Down Range Precision, where I should have taken it in the first place, to see if there is enough radius shoulder to salvage the barrel by cutting and re-chambering.

I won't even tell you what he did to the barrel and stock on my CZ 527 Kevlar.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lclund1946 View Post
Don't.

My Sako A1 barrel came out an interesting sky blue, not at all like the action, chamber cut about 0.006" over spec and bedding compound smeared all over the action except where he had scratched it and the bluing off. He re-profiled the barrel with a radius shoulder, after I had given him specific instructions as to how I wanted it done, making it too small to fit nicely in the barrel channel.

Made the mistake of taking it back to him to have the chamber done properly and barrel re-blued. Got it back with cold blue on barrel and smeared on to action. The headspace was fine but somehow he managed to polish the very back of the chamber out to about 0.004" over spec which is not nice on brass.

Rifle is at Down Range Precision, where I should have taken it in the first place, to see if there is enough radius shoulder to salvage the barrel by cutting and re-chambering.

That is absolutely horrible. I'd recommend Bob Galloway @ Custom Gunworx in Rocky. But, be prepared to wait a bit as Bob is very busy, for good reasons. He's done work for me and it turns out gorgeous.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:11 AM
Precisionshooter

Check into cerakote. More durable then bluing. Nic industries has comparative information and testing on product as per various standards. Julian @ downrange is offering cerakote services. At present I only do my own builds as there just isn't enough time to do other jobs. Applicator skill and knowledge is important so be cautious of who is offering the service. As with most things, this is no different and I have seen some very shoddy work!
Old 08-07-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Don't.

Ouch, sorry to hear that. I've had some work done there in the past but it was always good.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precisionshooter View Post
Check into cerakote. More durable then bluing. Nic industries has comparative information and testing on product as per various standards. Julian @ downrange is offering cerakote services. At present I only do my own builds as there just isn't enough time to do other jobs. Applicator skill and knowledge is important so be cautious of who is offering the service. As with most things, this is no different and I have seen some very shoddy work!
X2. Not the best picture but customer is happy with this build that Julian did with cerakote in graphite black.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-07-2014, 10:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash8 View Post
Ouch, sorry to hear that. I've had some work done there in the past but it was always good.
Here are some pictures to illustrate the damage to the chamber:
Brass fired in Sako Chamber.
[IMG][/IMG]
Sized brass from Sako Chamber.
[IMG][/IMG]
Same brass fired in CZ chambered with the same reamer.
[IMG][/IMG]
Sized brass from CZ.
[IMG][/IMG]

I sent these pictures to Holden Precision via email and got no response.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:47 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone!
Old 08-07-2014, 11:01 AM

Brutal !!
Old 08-07-2014, 01:10 PM
Precisionshooter

Evidently Bob at custom gunworxs does cerakoting as well. Dick's gunsmithing does as well.
Old 08-07-2014, 01:21 PM

Given similar use my blueing will look better than your cerecote in 15 years.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-07-2014, 11:29 PM

Quote:
X2. Not the best picture but customer is happy with this build that Julian did with cerakote in graphite black.
[IMG][/IMG]
Hey! I've seen that gun before. Julien did a great job on it - just hope I can hold it straight enough to get a group. It now has a scope which should help a little with the grouping
Old 08-08-2014, 06:42 AM
Precisionshooter

Take a peek......I wonder if they did any comparisons with a good solid wax coating that is often applied to bluing and some of those stainless / cro mo bolt guns before heading out hunting in those wet weather hunts.

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/testing/

QUOTE=Precisionshooter;2511912]Check into cerakote. More durable then bluing. Nic industries has comparative information and testing on product as per various standards. Julian @ downrange is offering cerakote services. At present I only do my own builds as there just isn't enough time to do other jobs. Applicator skill and knowledge is important so be cautious of who is offering the service. As with most things, this is no different and I have seen some very shoddy work![/QUOTE]

This should be an informative read.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:45 AM

I' ve did a few with Arma-Coat,its easy to use but you need a sandblaster and spray gun.It seems really durable and comes in quite a few colors.
Old 08-08-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precisionshooter View Post
Take a peek......I wonder if they did any comparisons with a good solid wax coating that is often applied to bluing and some of those stainless / cro mo bolt guns before heading out hunting in those wet weather hunts.

http://www.cerakoteguncoatings.com/testing/

QUOTE=Precisionshooter;2511912]Check into cerakote. More durable then bluing. Nic industries has comparative information and testing on product as per various standards. Julian @ downrange is offering cerakote services. At present I only do my own builds as there just isn't enough time to do other jobs. Applicator skill and knowledge is important so be cautious of who is offering the service. As with most things, this is no different and I have seen some very shoddy work!
This should be an informative read.[/QUOTE]

What an endorsement. Cerecote says you need their product.

-Billy Molls
Old 08-08-2014, 08:47 AM

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...uct-evaluation

-Billy Molls