Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-31-2014, 11:48 PM

Default Hubris

Am I the only one who thinks that Alberta's current prosperity has created a lot of arrogant, ignorant fools in the work force. I have had to work with a few of 19 and 20 year olds lately and can't believe the heir of entitlement of the ones born here. We stopped at Macdonalds on the way back to the shop today, and were served by a lady, probably in her mid 40s, and they just kept saying how she must of made some bad choices to be working there at that age. A different one wanted me to goose the diesel off the line to smoke out one of those people who spins signs and points arrows on the street corner. Thing is I don't see the same attitudes from the ones born in other provinces. I grew up in a well to do family, yet have nothing but respect for those who show up to work everyday, regardless of what the job is. Seen too many who sit on welfare, or steal to get by. I have also met a lot of people who had it all and too many times have said there but for the grace of god go I. For full disclosure I am a BC boy so let the bashing begin, just saying what I see.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:29 AM

Talking

to Alberta

I've been here for over 40 years now, and truth be known, it's been much worse than this in the past. I've never really gotten completely used to it, but after a number of years, the numbness starts to set in

As I've said to many others here in the past ... if all else fails, we can always go back to where we came from.

Cheers,

Mac
Old 08-01-2014, 05:00 AM

Its not just Alberta youngster, its the generation. Dont think any province is exempt
Old 08-01-2014, 06:01 AM

I think it is natural to have a false sense of security and feel bulletproof-Until the bullets start flying!
Old 08-01-2014, 06:07 AM
Gone Fishing

It all boils down to what mommy/daddy provided to their brat and spoiled offspring! If you were raised as I was to earn what you get instead of your folks giving into every gimmick and whim item, then you stand a good chance of respecting what it takes to EARN something. A few good kicks in the arse didn't hurt neither.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:42 AM

Where else in the world can a young person with zero or very minimal education and possessing only two-feet and a heartbeat make coin like in western Canada??

Not surprising at all the d-baggedness, entitlement, and arrogance present in the subset.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:07 AM

Christ every boom cycle brings on a new wave of that BS and it ain't just the "kids" that were born here.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyd View Post
Its not just Alberta youngster, its the generation. Dont think any province is exempt
Exactly right. I have a crew house 2 doors down full of boys that age from Ontario. I can't even begin to tell about them without breaking some rules. Ignorant doesn't even begin to describe them. And it's not because of where they are from, it's because they make too much money and are that age, and seems like their daddy didn't take them to the woodshed when the occasion merited it.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 08-01-2014, 07:49 AM

When I was younger I heard the older adults complaining about the younger generations. I think that always will go on and the young people who are being discussed now will complain when they are in their 40's and older about the younger people.
From what I have experienced the younger generations are overall a pretty great group. We probably have some acid dropping hippies who aspired to live in communes and never want to work for "the man" who had no loyalty to anyone but themselves complaining here now......
Old 08-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Gone Hunting

"We probably have some acid dropping hippies who aspired to live in communes and never want to work for "the man" who had no loyalty to anyone but themselves complaining here now....."

Now there's a knowledge nugget. Right on Man, Right on!!!.
__________________+

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-01-2014, 12:10 PM

I'll just leave this link here, it's an interesting read.

It's not just the one generation. They exist across the whole spectrum.

http://www.thefreepress.ca/opinion/l...261253171.html

That was just after May Long this year, and all that media attention about Kookcanusa area.
Old 08-01-2014, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
And it's not because of where they are from, it's because they make too much money and are that age, and seems like their daddy didn't take them to the woodshed when the occasion merited it.
This is it. I relate it to young professional athletes that start making millions in their late teens or early twenties. Now, if they have the proper morals, values and work ethic instilled in them, they deal with it better but an ignorant ***** will always act like an ignorant ***** no matter how much money they have.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:24 PM

Funny, I turned out just fine...and without ever taking them out 'to the woodshed'.

I've also raised 3 children (and a 5 month old still at home) without ever raising a hand towards them.

Violence is not necessary in order to raise mature and responsible children. Seems to be common around here though
Old 08-01-2014, 03:28 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd View Post
Funny, I turned out just fine...and without ever taking them out 'to the woodshed'.

I've also raised 3 children (and a 5 month old still at home) without ever raising a hand towards them.

Violence is not necessary in order to raise mature and responsible children. Seems to be common around here though
Is there a difference between discipline and violence, or is it all the same?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 08-01-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Is there a difference between discipline and violence, or is it all the same?
To someone who has never been disciplined, I guess it would all look like violence. Brother......

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone