Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-18-2014, 12:43 PM

Default confused myself

Okay. I haven't hunted big game since I was a kid. This was the first year I've ever applied for a draw so naturally I got skunked. I can apply for an undersubcribed license. But to clarify, is there still general tags / licenses for wmus not requiring draws? I am just after a deer for meat, not a trophy. I've read the regs a few times through. Am I missing something? I'm just getting blank stares from the few people I've spoken to.

I'm thinking this thread might shed some light on the subject for all the newbies - or rusty enough to be newbies out there in Albertaland.

Thanks all
Colin.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:45 PM

In many WMU's you can hunt whitetail deer without a draw, just Go to the store and buy a whitetail tag.

What WMU are you looking to hunt in?
Old 07-18-2014, 12:45 PM

Yes, there are still all sorts of general tags you can just buy on line or over the counter, depending on where you want to hunt. Take a look in the 2014 Alberta hunting regulations. White tailed deer and antlered elk are common general tags. Good luck
Old 07-18-2014, 12:49 PM

You can still buy a general whitetail tag in a lot of wmu,s. Some zones will allow a doe or buck on a general tag,some will be buck only.
Snoop around through the regs again, all the info is there. Its just kinda confusing for a new hunter.
If you know a experienced hunter sit down with the regs with them and hopefully they can help clear up some of the confusion
Old 07-18-2014, 12:50 PM

I figured as much. I got into a fairly heated debate with a coworker today on the subject. He only draws for moose every year and insisted if I didn't see a wmu listed when I applied then that wmu is closed to hunters. Just didn't make sense considering the numbers of animals I'm seeing out there.

I'm guessing its the same for supplimental tags as well?

Colin.
Old 07-18-2014, 12:51 PM

... Thanks guys.
Old 07-18-2014, 01:09 PM

The regulations list all the General season licences available for Residents, the combinations of licences one person can purchase in a year, and the General hunting season information for each species by wmu.

Re-read the regulations several more times, and then read it again. That's not a derogatory comment, this information truly requires multiple reviews to be understood.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."