Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-17-2014, 01:46 PM

Default 444/446

After over a decade long wait I nailed it, 444/446 Trophy Sheep, couldn`t be happier!!

Checking results was a change this year and was followed by a couple "yippees" instead of "oh well maybe next year".

Not only did I draw 444/446 Trophy Sheep, I hit first season Suffield Elk and 526 Mulie Buck, gonna be a busy boy.

I am posting this to ask for a bit of assistance in accessing and hunting 444/446 from previous successful draw applicants or just hunters that know the area since they started mining again. I will be checking to see what info I can get from the company that is actively mining (Smoky Coal Company???) I have hunted the area a few times prior to it going on the draw system but other that getting my moose draw in 446 have had no reason to go back in.

When we did hunt, it was an awesome place to be with quad access to a lot of areas and some decent rams to say the least but since the mine re opened I know access is off BeaverDam Rd. only but from there not sure how to get back to where we used to hunt..

I am at 3/4 slam status (just need my Desert Sheep)so I have done a bit of sheep hunting and own enough gear to outfit 4 guys...literally, so gear and experience shouldn`t be an issue moving forward.

I do appreciate any input from you all and thanks in advance for any information you may feel kind enough to share. Also good luck and be safe this season.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:01 PM

My dad pulled this tag the first season it was offered. was a fun hunt, tons of game that year... Had pics of sheep 20 yrds from us, licking the truck. Was a blast.

Was up there 2 years ago working and was taking evenings to explore. The beaverdam road was washed out all to hell, passible with quads, not sure if its fixed yet. The mine itself would not allow access on their roads, not sure if this has changed.

i find that a lot of the bigger rams are in the timber not in the open areas. If it wasnt for the CO's, we wouldnt have know. Stop in at their office, they have lots of knowledge and used to be nice enough to share with a box tim hortons doughnuts slid acrss the counter.(no pun intended)
With A LOT of glassing i seen them in lower fingers of washouts up in Caw, as well up on Hammel in spots i wouldnt normally look, but with the amount of logging mining quad trails and single track trails that go everywhere i think the sheep are scattered to the wind. They are there im sure, just gonna work for it.

I love that area, prolly my favorite in the Province. Best of luck to you

Wade
Old 07-17-2014, 04:29 PM

Thanks Wade,

I went in last year and used up my 9 year priority on a moose and the road in was okay with my truck and enclosed trailer, it was November though. I'm getting in contact with the mining company and with a few scouting trips should be on some rams, appreciate the input.