Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 06-26-2014, 02:39 PM

Default Just picked up my tanned hides

Just picked up 5 coyotes and 4 fox from Western Fur and they seem pretty well done. There is one more fox there not finished yet for some reason but I am sure it will get done. Got quite a few people that want some done for next year as well. Got one buddy who wants me to catch him a lynx for a full mount so I am excited about that. Can't wait for the season to start!!

Old 06-26-2014, 04:31 PM

Nube, nice hides. Are those fox as pale as they appear in the picture?
Old 06-26-2014, 05:39 PM
Banned

Very nice! I'd be interested in knowing what it costs to tan a pelt if you wouldn't mind saying.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:22 PM

Great image Sir! That's a fine haul.
Old 06-26-2014, 06:48 PM

Nice pelts.

Could make a pretty nice snow suit for sledding, ice fishing and on the trapline. Two fox pelts would make a nice fur bikini for your sweetheart too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-26-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Very nice! I'd be interested in knowing what it costs to tan a pelt if you wouldn't mind saying.
Give Western Fur tannery a call in Edmonton. They will tell you their price and expected wait time. Or you could get a home tanning kit for 20 bucks and tan your own.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 06-26-2014, 09:01 PM

I think it ended up around $120 for a coyote. Way more than I thought. I had some guys that wanted to buy some and you ahve to have them tanned to legally sell them so I had no choice really.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:50 AM

I have that home tanner kit in the orange bottle. Was gonna do my nice cross fox and a beaver!! Anyone have experience with this

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 06-27-2014, 11:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
I have that home tanner kit in the orange bottle. Was gonna do my nice cross fox and a beaver!! Anyone have experience with this
I used that stuff with excellent success. About 5 years ago I shot a buck in the neck so I tanned the hide with the hair on. It's been sitting on the back of my couch and there's no hair slipping at all.

This year I tanned two XXXL beavers and two coyotes with one bottle. The beavers turned out excellent. I tanned them right on the board and I went over them with a wire wheel in my drill to make them supple.....very easy. I haven't re-hydrated the coyotes yet to turn them and do the same with them but for now they are preserved and the hair seems to be okay.

I'd suggest doing the beaver first as it'll be the easiest to do IMO. If you want to hold off a bit, I'll be finishing my coyotes in a couple of weeks and I can tell you of any problems that I had (ie. wire wheel tearing the hide, etc).

I'll post some pictures next week when I have more time.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:25 PM

Perfect thanks!! Don't want to ruin my cross fox

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 06-29-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
Foxes are prone to slipping. Especially in the ear areas. Be very careful to ensure that you get the tanning solution in those areas and make sure that they don't get warm for too long before getting fleshed and salted properly.
Old 06-29-2014, 03:38 PM

I just picked a few of mine up when I dropped off this years Bear. Any Ideas on what I should do with these ones? I made a pair of mitts last year, some might remember that post.

BMR
Old 06-29-2014, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmountainrider View Post
I just picked a few of mine up when I dropped off this years Bear. Any Ideas on what I should do with these ones? I made a pair of mitts last year, some might remember that post.

BMR
If you ride a horse or sled a nice set of winter leggings or chaps.

Mukluks that are like single leg hip waders that come to the top of the leg and hook onto your belt.

Nice fur hat to go with your mitts.
Old 06-29-2014, 04:50 PM

Tanned fur is gorgeous...but I don't recommend a coyote hat. I have one and it is TOO hot !!
Old 06-30-2014, 12:50 AM
Banned

great looking pelts nube and bigmtn. i will be trying to tan some pelts soon.
Old 07-10-2014, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I used that stuff with excellent success. About 5 years ago I shot a buck in the neck so I tanned the hide with the hair on. It's been sitting on the back of my couch and there's no hair slipping at all.

This year I tanned two XXXL beavers and two coyotes with one bottle. The beavers turned out excellent. I tanned them right on the board and I went over them with a wire wheel in my drill to make them supple.....very easy. I haven't re-hydrated the coyotes yet to turn them and do the same with them but for now they are preserved and the hair seems to be okay.

I'd suggest doing the beaver first as it'll be the easiest to do IMO. If you want to hold off a bit, I'll be finishing my coyotes in a couple of weeks and I can tell you of any problems that I had (ie. wire wheel tearing the hide, etc).

I'll post some pictures next week when I have more time.
Have you ever used this stuff on a bear hide? Would it work on a bear do you think?
Can you tell me the name of it or where i could get some more info on it, i would really like to give it a try.

Thanks
Old 07-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by APAShooter View Post
Have you ever used this stuff on a bear hide? Would it work on a bear do you think?
Can you tell me the name of it or where i could get some more info on it, i would really like to give it a try.

Thanks
It'll do a bear hide but you'll need numerous bottles of it. Halford's Hides carries the same product as what is shown in the enclosed link and is the same stuff that I use. I'm pretty sure that it cost closer to $20/bottle though. The instructions are also listed in the link.

http://www.pcsoutdoors.com/trappershidetanformula.aspx
Old 07-10-2014, 08:47 PM

Default Orange bottle

There is no comparison to accually getting it tanned the right way. It is just preserving it not accually putting a tann into the fibers in the hide. There are allot of steps in the tanning process. And I have used the orange bottle.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:01 AM

Going to tan any fox's I get this year $24 for a fox is not worth sending into the sale. Nice pair of mitts or a hanging hide would be a much better outcome.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:52 AM

I sol 5 foxes privately after tamed for the cost of the tanning and charged $50 a fox. That was a good deal for me
Old 07-11-2014, 01:09 PM
Banned

shood make some mocasins there brudders