Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-08-2014, 01:06 PM

Default Best fly line for a 4wt

Hi all,

I'd like to buy some new fly line for my 4wt tfo finesse that I use for dry fly stream fishing and was wondering what lines people suggest. Right now I'm thinking rio gold since I like how it casts with my 6wt but I don't know if the Trout LT makes more sense since I only use dries. I'm not set on RIO or anything. Does anyone have experience with LT? Does it take away a lot of the shooting ability for enhanced presentation?
Thanks!
Old 07-08-2014, 08:14 PM

Smile

I'd stick with either a Rio Gold or an Airflo Super-Dri Elite WF.

I heard that WS Sports has lines at 25% off. But that was earlier in the week. You might want to check and see if they still have a sale on. You may be able to pick up a line for a good price.
Old 07-08-2014, 08:44 PM

I fish the LT on a couple of my 4s and on a 2 wt. I find they consistently lay down dramatically better dry presentations than all round line like a gold. If you want it just for dries, and you dont have a super stiff rod that is hard to load go for the LT.
Old 07-08-2014, 09:14 PM
Banned

Varivas airs is not bad at all. Very easy to cast, high floating line.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:30 PM

For dry fly presentation I really like the RIO Selective Trout II but the newer Trout LT is also excellent. For small diameter the Cortland 444 SYLK is also good. I'm using these lines primarily on my bamboo rods these days. They should also work nice on graphite rods but you may need to move up a line weight on ultra-fast (STIFF) rods.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:30 AM

Thanks for the replies. Kingfisher, I'll check out wholesale tomorrow to see if the sale is still on. The finesse rod is fairly slow so I think it will load the LT nicely. I'll do some more research on these other lines I haven't heard of. I've been using a cheap SA floating line for the past 3 years so it will be a huge improvement. Although I have a blast with that line already.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:21 AM

I have a rio gold and a rio LT in a 5wt, using a st.croix legend elite fly rod. After a solid 2 years of experimenting with these 2 lines, there's no doubt in my mind that the rio LT is absolutely PERFECT for dry fly presentations. It just seems to float in the air for a split second longer than the rio gold, and it ever so gently kisses the water when you throw it out there. The rio gold is a nice all around line, throwing streamers, nymph rigs, and drys as well. But the LT just seems to do a bit better in a "spooky fish" way. They both cast a mile, and are very slick. The LT is also really good at performing singlehanded spey casts and roll casts. I've never used any manufacturer other than rio, so you can take my recommendation with a grain of salt
Good luck!
Old 07-09-2014, 10:52 AM

Thanks kpfishngame, I can't wait to see the difference and throw some delicate presentations this weekend!
Old 07-09-2014, 10:56 AM

Default Best fly line for a 4wt

Btw, the 25% off fishing line and 30% off reels and waders is on until the 13th at wholesale
Old 07-09-2014, 04:51 PM

Orvis lines are really nice as are some of the higher end scientific angler lines. Both are in the 70$ area. Good line makes a huge difference
Old 07-09-2014, 10:59 PM

Rio perception would perfect if youre only fishing dries