Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 06-14-2014, 02:39 PM

Default Lookin for a bear hide.

As the title says I'm looking for a bear hide. Non tanned. Quality of fur doesn't mean anything as it's for training dogs. So if you've got one you don't need or know someone that has one please let me know. Preferably within an hoursish of the Breton Warburg area. Thanks
"I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only is a target but as living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life,if I can with regrets as well as joy, with the sure knowledge that natures way of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate then I can bestow."- Fred Bear
Old 06-14-2014, 10:39 PM

Illegal…not happening unless it's tanned
Old 06-14-2014, 10:45 PM

What's illegal about it?? I know lots of people that use them all the time. If it is I would really like to know as I haven't used one yet.
"I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only is a target but as living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life,if I can with regrets as well as joy, with the sure knowledge that natures way of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate then I can bestow."- Fred Bear
Old 06-15-2014, 09:13 AM

I may be wrong on a bear hide but with fur bearers it must be tanned. Only licensed fur buyer can buy raw pelts
Old 06-15-2014, 09:18 AM

Default Bear hide

It would be legal if someone gave it to you free. Check with taxidermists as they cut off scraps when they rug mounts to shape the rug. They just toss these out and might give you enough for a drag to train your dogs.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperMike View Post
It would be legal if someone gave it to you free. Check with taxidermists as they cut off scraps when they rug mounts to shape the rug. They just toss these out and might give you enough for a drag to train your dogs.
Agreed , I'm sure it is legal to gift a hide , but selling it would be illegal ,unless tanned as Brian said .
Old 06-15-2014, 11:29 AM

Thanks fellas. That's kinda what I thought. I wasn't lookin to pay for one anyway. Just thought of someone had one that was rubbed out or had considerable ground shrinkage and didn't want to pay for tanning I could help them out.

Thanks again
Old 06-15-2014, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Bildson View Post
I may be wrong on a bear hide but with fur bearers it must be tanned. Only licensed fur buyer can buy raw pelts
You can sell bear hides brian but your not allowed to let them go to waste using them to train a dog might be considered letting them go to waste
Old 06-16-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose maniac View Post
You can sell bear hides brian but your not allowed to let them go to waste using them to train a dog might be considered letting them go to waste
X2, Bear hides are the exception. Can be sold un-tanned, if aquired legally. Can also be gifted. Check regs its pretty clear.

Z
Old 06-16-2014, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmountainrider View Post
X2, Bear hides are the exception. Can be sold un-tanned, if aquired legally. Can also be gifted. Check regs its pretty clear.

Z
If shot on private land no tag or salvage of hide is required.
Old 06-17-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
Can you post where in the regs that it states that?
Old 06-17-2014, 10:36 AM

Quote:
I think it says that on the "protection of livestock" page if I'm not mistaken. Same with coyotes wolves and cougars. You just have to report a cougar. And no dogs are allowed to be used.
Old 06-17-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battle Rat View Post
That is true
Old 06-17-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Under Big Game point 7, then click on the link for the exemption for wasting hides.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:50 PM

What kind of dogs do you have? I just got some dogs thid year and they are a lot of fun. When you want to try them on a real bear, let me know. I only used the dogs on wounded bear this year, but they were unreal. I will be using them again for bear next year. I plan on lynx and cougar this winter. I have a spare bear hide, but I would have to get an export permit for it as I now live in BC. It is salted, but not tanned. Let me know if you come up unsuccessful in finding one, and I should be able to get it to you somehow. My family all lives in alberta, so there are always trips back and forth. It would probably be easier to just let your dogs go on a bear with experienced dogs. Dogs always seem to train each other easier than we can.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:16 AM

I'm still training for cats. Most guys just use a bear hide and put whatever scent they want on it. (Lion, coon, lynx , bobcat , or more bear scent). It just looks more natural in the tree than a rag or those stupid scent pad things. Helps the locate a bit. And I sure as hell ain't using a deer, moose, elk or coyote hide!!! Lol