Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-23-2011, 08:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
a pack of reserve dogs killed a child on a reserve last year...
People are killed by dogs In the city as well
Old 06-25-2011, 07:03 PM
Banned

Just thought I'd share this but what was killing my herd of sheep has wiped out all my ewes 14 in under a week. I'm sending my dogs away for a couple days and bringing the poison in. Befor they get my rams
Old 06-25-2011, 07:25 PM

Default question

Are they eating the sheep that are killed. Sometimes by summer coyote/wolf bitches teach their pups to kill and sheep are the easiest target 'cause they stand around. Just curious...
Old 06-25-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin View Post
Just thought I'd share this but what was killing my herd of sheep has wiped out all my ewes 14 in under a week. I'm sending my dogs away for a couple days and bringing the poison in. Befor they get my rams
That's awful, man.

Can you set up a trail cam or something at the baited poison or can someone loan you one, so at least you have some answers?

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 06-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman99 View Post
Are they eating the sheep that are killed. Sometimes by summer coyote/wolf bitches teach their pups to kill and sheep are the easiest target 'cause they stand around. Just curious...
I believe you are correct they have only ate 2 the neighbour has been hauling the body's away. So I hope this poison works cause they have ****ed me off now
Old 06-25-2011, 09:06 PM

Huntin I really feel for you. I remember in the '80's when the eastern coyote established itself in NS. Many a sheep farmer was wiped out of 100's of head. I sincerly hope you manage to solve the problem asap. It does sound like wolves teaching the pups to hunt though. Good luck.
Old 05-16-2014, 06:51 PM
Banned

These guys?

Old 05-16-2014, 07:18 PM
Banned

Cool

That is hilarious. The subject is not . Look into the maremma breed . like nothing ive ever come across scooby doo with family and kids Hannibal lector on coyote's. An old fella gave a friend a tip . When the alpha female is out with pack, shoot a few of the pack ..mama wont come back . May be a wives tail but the Shepard swears by it.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
That is hilarious. The subject is not . Look into the maremma breed . like nothing ive ever come across scooby doo with family and kids Hannibal lector on coyote's. An old fella gave a friend a tip . When the alpha female is out with pack, shoot a few of the pack ..mama wont come back . May be a wives tail but the Shepard swears by it.
I lost all the sheep 3 years ago the wife said if I bought more she'd feed me to the wolves.
now we have horses the wolves haven't killed any of them yet
Old 05-21-2014, 09:25 PM

Default dogs or cats

Been involved in two sheep and llama killings all by domestic dogs, the two that killed the llama were the[ in denial] owners indoor Rotties with llama wool still stuck in their teeth one of the sheep killers was the neighbors Shepard cross... live snared him at the scene next night same thing wool in teeth... the coyotes are seen at the kills so they always get the blame[ just an opportunistic meal]. Dog or dogs for the most part are inefficient killers there may be sheep body's but tufts of wool scattered every where and usually a few cripples is a gimme for dog attacks , if there are small lambs involved it can be a slaughter just intoxicating killing i am sure... but nothing usually is taken the body's lie where they die... unless the yotes find them and can drag them off .. wolves i think[ no experience there] will kill quickly what they need and possible drag it out of sight and feed especially a lamb... but a big cat especially a young inexperienced one i would bet it would kill more than one... it would be like a Pac Man game for them, cats truly are lethal.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Check out a Fila Barizilero
There not for everyone , but a really cool dog
Old 05-21-2014, 10:31 PM
Banned

thanks guys but this thread is 3 years old I haven't had sheep in that long
Old 05-21-2014, 10:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntin View Post
thanks guys but this thread is 3 years old I haven't had sheep in that long
Alright, who's the wise guy.......BEEGUY!!!!

I was quite interested until now. Whatever happened anyway?
Old 05-21-2014, 11:02 PM

Haha on the age of the thread. I thought it was recent and was just going to comment that the sheep farmer would have to have a good old fashioned sheep dip. Dip 'em in kerosene and axle grease and the wolves or cats wouldn't touch them.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:15 AM

Default Also

If you go to the barber and get a box of human hair just sprinkle it along the fence line. Wolves and Coyotes won't cross.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:50 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
If you go to the barber and get a box of human hair just sprinkle it along the fence line. Wolves and Coyotes won't cross.
So if they feed on a human body, or a barber they eat everything except the hair?

I did not know that.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand