Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-22-2014, 11:29 AM

Default motor bike road test

I have my road test June 02/14 just wanting to talk to someone who recently took it and could pass on some of what they do and look for. thank you dave @ 780-910-6145
Old 05-22-2014, 12:04 PM

Default bike test

I had to go through a lot of uncontrolled intersections. Watch your timing on the lights
Old 05-22-2014, 12:14 PM
Banned

Cool

They look for riding with care and attention. Good lane discipline, lots of shoulder checking timely use of signals and brakes. Smooth gear changes and controlled use of the right hand. Be careful dress correctly good luck .
Old 05-22-2014, 12:59 PM

If you have someone to ride with, do so as much as you can between now and then. Preferrably in the area where you will take the test, as you'll be more used to your surroundings. If you don't have anyone to ride with, drive the area, looking for signage, and getting the feel of the area, so you're not surprised by anything.

Don't be nervous. Cancel turn signals after you turn. Have your eyes out for ALL signage (school zone....know hours of operation and speed), speed changes, etc. Do not get too close to the stop line in the road, and do NOT touch it with your front wheel. Practice starting on a hill. Look where you want to go. (if you look at what you don't want to crash into, you'll crash into it....if you get squirrely, just focus where you WANT to go, and your head/eyes/body will lead you there)

Make sure lights/horn/brake light are fully functional, or they'll cancel your test as your vehicle won't be deemed road-worthy.

Good luck!
Old 05-22-2014, 02:01 PM

Was a few uncontrolled intersections, a hill stop and start. Everything else was normal riding and following traffic rules..

Tip for signals always double push to cancel, helps me ensure im not cruising with a blinker on.

Also maybe some one else can chime in but I seem to remember Only one foot on the ground at any time, for stops and such. If you ever drop both legs its considered you do not have control of the motorcycle.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaDee View Post
Was a few uncontrolled intersections, a hill stop and start. Everything else was normal riding and following traffic rules..

Tip for signals always double push to cancel, helps me ensure im not cruising with a blinker on.

Also maybe some one else can chime in but I seem to remember Only one foot on the ground at any time, for stops and such. If you ever drop both legs its considered you do not have control of the motorcycle.
I think you may be right. I don't have time to check right now.

Only left foot down, and keep right foot on brake.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:27 PM
Banned

How does the test work? Is someone on the bike with you or following you in another vehicle?
Old 05-22-2014, 02:33 PM

Dont know about here but I failed my first test because I came to a complete stop at a stop sign... Did the whole count slowly to 3 with brakes locked on.... But didnt put a foot down on the pavement because my bike was so well balanced. Instant fail. Didnt count as a stop if that foot didnt touch.
Old 05-22-2014, 02:42 PM

Default road test

The person conducting the test give you a ear piece and he talks to you by radio following you in a car. One foot down only at the lights is true.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:01 PM

Uncontrolled intersections are a big one and they are tricky.

When coming to a complete stop, put the bike in 1st gear and place your left foot down on the street. DO NOT put your right foot down. It must remain on the peg for braking.

In Calgary at least, there are no 'parking lanes' along the side of the street unless marked specifically as such. What this means is that if you are riding along a wide street and taking a right turn, you must signal, move over into the right (curb) lane (even if there isn't a marked lane) and then make your right turn. Otherwise, you are making a wide right turn across an unmarked lane. I know this because I learned the hard way.

Check your mirrors regularly, don't stall or fumble with the clutch, watch for pedestrians, watch for playgrounds and school zones.

Oh, one last thing, watch your speed! I mean don't go too slow. This is a common problem and a bit counterintuitive. I was driving down a narrow residential street crowded with vehicles parked along both sides so I slowed to about 30 km/h in case someone opened a car door or whatever and I got a warning for going too slow.

relax and stay calm during your ride.