Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-02-2014, 04:49 PM

Default Any Mechanics Out there?

Having some car issues. I drive a 2003 Mazda protege 5. Just a couple of days ago my car starting making a kind of a rattling sound from the engine bay. Got the oil changed and coolant flushed yesterday. They (MR lube) told me that they suspect an engine leak.

Driving home from work today, the sound is getting worse, and the heat doesnt work in the car now, and there was smoke coming from my engine. Pretty sure that is not a good thing.

Any ideas? thoughts? Father in law is a mechanic, but is out of town. I live in Calgary he lives in Shepard... not sure if it would even be safe to drive the car out there (15-20 minutes from my house).
Old 05-02-2014, 04:56 PM

Forgot to mention that my dash display did not show any warning of overheating or anything like that. No lights or anything. Temp gauge was normal
Old 05-02-2014, 04:58 PM

I'm not a mechanic but:

Did the "smoke" smell sweet, and dissipate quickly?

If so, I'd say your radiator fan ate a hole in your radiator (came loose, whatever), and you lost all your coolant.

Driving the car anywhere would be a bad idea.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:04 PM

As a general rule, ignore what most lube shop guys give as advice, they're usually commission-based. If they were mechanics they'd be making better money actually working as mechanics.

From what you described there's too little detail to speculate on.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:06 PM

The smoke just smelled like something burning. Car has been parked for about 20 minutes. Still see some coming out from under the hood. Opened the hood when I got home and smoke was coming from the engine. Not from the rad. Seemed more from the bottom of the engine/side of engine.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:30 PM
Suspended User

Once cool check your oil, antifreeze in the radiator, and belts. Don't rush to do it. If you have problems with those then we need more information. Oil in the antifreeze shows up as a goo around the Rad fill. Pretty much the same if its reversed with antifreeze in the oil. It will be on the dipstick or oil fill spout. Look for loose parts or belts.
Also see if there is burnt oil on the dipstick. Will check this thread again in a bit, but I'm sure you will soon get a bunch of replies that might help.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stc77 View Post
The smoke just smelled like something burning. Car has been parked for about 20 minutes. Still see some coming out from under the hood. Opened the hood when I got home and smoke was coming from the engine. Not from the rad. Seemed more from the bottom of the engine/side of engine.
I suspect that's the scent of a lot of money leaving your pocket.
Old 05-02-2014, 06:18 PM

Lightbulb

Why can't the mechanic FIL come to you if he's only 15-20min away?
Also, what is an engine leak? I'd love to hear that one in person!
No heat probably either means heater core, or water pump, or no coolant. Very vague on your details, but because of the rattle, I'd suspect your water pump first, even though you said no guages went off. Guages might be bad, it overheated and cooked up some oil residue in the engine causing your smoke... More details are needed. Smoke from where? Color? Smell? Rattle from where? Low coolant or oil before change?

A Seized water pump pulley could smoke the belt, and if cool enough ambient temp with short, easy drive may not overheat the engine also

Last edited by bloopbloob; 05-02-2014 at 06:31 PM.