Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2014, 07:01 PM
Banned

Default Calgary to get new cycle track

Calgary will soon be more bike-friendly after city council voted Monday in favour of a downtown cycle track network.

Councillors voted 8-7 in favour of a cycle track network project shortly after 2 p.m. MT. The move comes after months of controversy and debate over the idea, with some councillors adamantly opposed and others strongly supporting the idea.

However, while councillors voted for the cycle track network, they also rejected the proposed routes and have been debating changes to the cycle track map.

The first suggestion for change came regarding First Street. Ward 10 Coun. Andre Chabot proposed an alternative to the First Street track, saying he would like to shorten it south of Ninth Avenue. Ward 12 Coun. Shane Keating said he can't support any track on First Street, but felt it was important for the well-being of the city that council go forward with some form of cycle track.

Ultimately, councillors voted against any cycle tracks on First Street S.E.

Ward 8 Coun. Evan Woolley suggested the 10th Avenue bike lane, which now exists in the afternoon peak commute hour, be removed in July and council approved.

Council is currently voting on ways to allow small scale private contractors to reduce the cost of maintenance of the cycle tracks.

And the cost is 9 million for this 1 year pilot project and if it is deemed good then another 9 million to make it permanent.So 9 million for a 1 year pilot project that will take 1 year to construct and then another 9 million to make it a permanent inconvenience to motorists if it is deemed worthy and all to make less than 1% of the population of Calgary happy and feeling safe cycling to work.Add in all of the costs for maintainence for the rest of existence such as snow removal on the cycle track as well as spring cleaning and it boggles the mind.All to pander to the smallest cross section of Calgarians.

As allways the idiots at Silly Hall are busy spending tax payer dollars like drunken sailors on shore leave in Bankok.

FTH
Old 04-28-2014, 07:13 PM

Yup. Not happy about it.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:18 PM

That's just fine the idiots at Silly Hall just raise your taxes when they need more money.
I'd like to see a user pay system where cyclists were funnelled through a sort of toll booth for say $1.00 per trip. No different that charging for the CTrain.
Then users pay for the bike lanes and their maintenance.
Old 04-28-2014, 07:34 PM

The Stephen Avenue Mall thing is the stupidest part of it. Pedestrians and cyclists do not mix. So, a bike runs down a pedestrian, severely injuring him, it's gonna happen. No registration to identify the cyclist and chances are he has no liability insurance for the victim to file a claim on.

Grizz
Old 04-28-2014, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
The Stephen Avenue Mall thing is the stupidest part of it. Pedestrians and cyclists do not mix. So, a bike runs down a pedestrian, severely injuring him, it's gonna happen. No registration to identify the cyclist and chances are he has no liability insurance for the victim to file a claim on.

Grizz
You hit it on the head with regards to Stephen Avenue.A majority of business owners spoke out against the cycle track with specific things about how it would affect thier business as well as the common sense about it and they were ignored.It came down to an 8-7 vote and you just know Nenshi was the deciding factor.

As for accidents with cyclists running into pedestrians and causing injuries....it is just a matter of time.The reason bike couriers HAVE to have bike licence plates is because of ONE specific BIKE courier who was riding on the sidewalk and he ran over a presiding court judge and his wife.....after he ran over them and caused them injury he grabbed his bike and flipped the finger to the guy and took off.

I imagine some pencil pusher at Silly Hall is salivating over the idea of "bike commuter licence plates" in the not so distant future...after all you have to tax and spend for the next stupid idea.

FTH
Old 04-28-2014, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Boy View Post
That's just fine the idiots at Silly Hall just raise your taxes when they need more money.
I'd like to see a user pay system where cyclists were funnelled through a sort of toll booth for say $1.00 per trip. No different that charging for the CTrain.
Then users pay for the bike lanes and their maintenance.
A cyclist is far more similar to a vehicle operator than pedestrian - therefore;

I think Davey Boy is on the right train of thought. Those of us who operate a licenced and registered motor vehicle are directly putting money into the public maintenance of the public roads and highways network. Also motorists must be insured to protect ourselves, fellow motorists, pedestrians, and cyclists. But what happens when the cyclist is at fault? (bound to happen when encouraging more of them onto roads and pathways)...

What is to happen when two cyclists bump into each other on one of these 'cycle tracks', causing one to tumble over the curb into traffic? If would be immeasurably unfair and selfish for cyclists interacting so closely with vehicular traffic to use existing and proposed new travelways without some form of insurance &/or registration. For their own and the protection of all roadway users.

And lastly, more strict enforcement of cyclist commuters obeying the "rules of the road". Too many times I have seen cyclists in traffic run LONG stale red lights and other traffic controls (while motorized traffic sits waiting) I cannot run red lights because MY TRUCK HAS A LICENCE PLATE & IS EASILY TRACKED. Unlike unlicenced human powered traffic.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:50 PM

But but but, think of the environment! $18million dollars worth of greenhouse gas spewing construction to make the granola crowd proud. Imagine the complaining when this track isn't plowed and sanded by 07:00. The environmental warriors won't be able to get to the office to oversee their oilsands operations. ROFLMAO!

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 04-29-2014, 01:17 PM

At the end of the day I personally believe bike commuters and couriers will still continue to ride anywhere and everywhere they want and break almost every traffic law possible in the process. Just my observation.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:14 PM

It is a great idea, it keeps bicycles in their own designated lanes, reduces traffic and reliance on public transit while promoting healthy living.

Many other countries have successful integrated bicycle infrastructure in cities much larger in population and size than Calgary. Holland is a great example.

Yes there will be collisions with cyclists and pedestrians, but there will be with or without a designated bicycle lanes.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:36 PM

I think everyone realizes there is a need for something like this, but the problem becomes, how can they justify it, when realistically there's maybe 4-5 months of possible riding weather. Sure there's the hard core guys that ride through the winter, but that's a VERY small number, probably less than 100. Hell. the bike lane on 10st is deserted in the winter (and most of the summer). Most people I know that bike commute, only ride once, maybe twice a week. And usually that is either just to work or home, not both.

Someone on another forum brought up a good idea, seasonal lanes. Except, instead of sharing with cars, use part of the sidewalks (ie, divided from pedestrians), that could be used as pedestrians in the winter.

This city council needs to get their heads out of their *****e$, and fix the transit issues, and then you'll see people stop driving to work.

#1 Get rid of the goddamn free fare zone, make it a gated system. Why? Because it keeps most of the drunks and transients off the train (ie, train stays cleaner).
#2 Make it reliable. for the life of me, I can't figure this one out.. The train is completely unreliable in both winter and summer.
#3, if (and when) and train breaks down, why don't they have switching stations between each lrt station? instead of the whole leg getting shutdown.. (I can't be the only person that has thought of this). Basically allow a train to go around another train in the same direction?

Oh yea, and build the SE LRT already, would you..
Old 04-29-2014, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
It is a great idea, it keeps bicycles in their own designated lanes, reduces traffic and reliance on public transit while promoting healthy living.

Many other countries have successful integrated bicycle infrastructure in cities much larger in population and size than Calgary. Holland is a great example.

Yes there will be collisions with cyclists and pedestrians, but there will be with or without a designated bicycle lanes.
I agree. The younger population is more and more likely to choose bikes as their mode of transport into the core. The old farts in Calgary can't understand it (and never will) but it doesn't matter as they will all be dead in a few years anyhow!
Old 04-29-2014, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
I think everyone realizes there is a need for something like this, but the problem becomes, how can they justify it, when realistically there's maybe 4-5 months of possible riding weather. Sure there's the hard core guys that ride through the winter, but that's a VERY small number, probably less than 100. Hell. the bike lane on 10st is deserted in the winter (and most of the summer). Most people I know that bike commute, only ride once, maybe twice a week. And usually that is either just to work or home, not both.

Someone on another forum brought up a good idea, seasonal lanes. Except, instead of sharing with cars, use part of the sidewalks (ie, divided from pedestrians), that could be used as pedestrians in the winter.

This city council needs to get their heads out of their *****e$, and fix the transit issues, and then you'll see people stop driving to work.

#1 Get rid of the goddamn free fare zone, make it a gated system. Why? Because it keeps most of the drunks and transients off the train (ie, train stays cleaner).
#2 Make it reliable. for the life of me, I can't figure this one out.. The train is completely unreliable in both winter and summer.
#3, if (and when) and train breaks down, why don't they have switching stations between each lrt station? instead of the whole leg getting shutdown.. (I can't be the only person that has thought of this). Basically allow a train to go around another train in the same direction?

Oh yea, and build the SE LRT already, would you..
They will be building the North Central line before that SE line, and the North Central is so far out that the SE line will probably be after all of us are done working.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:34 PM

Quote:

X2. One thing folks have to remember is that if even a few bikes get out of the way of traffic then the traffic that is still around will move a bit quicker, at least in the open lanes. There has been far too many folks hit by cars while riding bikes in traffic to not do something about this.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneckin View Post
They will be building the North Central line before that SE line, and the North Central is so far out that the SE line will probably be after all of us are done working.
http://www.calgarytransit.com/planning/green-line.php

LRT, you are correct, but the transitway will be built very quickly.

Quote:
The Green Line is an important piece of Calgary’s rapid transit network, connecting Southeast Calgary and North Central Calgary with high quality rapid transit service. The long-term goal is to build LRT in the Southeast and North Central corridors. In the interim, the goal is to build a transitway along the corridor to allow Calgarians to move quickly. To get a better understanding of the long-term result, you can view this project as having four sub projects: The North Central LRT alignment, the Southeast LRT alignment, the North Central transitway and the Southeast transitway.

On January 31 , 2014 City Council approved funding of $520 million over the next ten years for planning, design and construction of the Green Line.

The North Central LRT Alignment:
We are currently working on an alignment for the future North Central LRT. In 2013 we held several workshops with the various communities and received great feedback.

We are working towards finalizing an alignment to be presented to Council with an update report being presented to the SPC on T&T on March 12, 2014 and the final recommendation being presented to the SPC on T&T in December 2014. For more info please visit the project page.

The North Central Transitway:
The North Central Transitway project will begin after the North Central LRT alignment is approved by Council in December 2014.

The Southeast LRT Alignment:
A Council-approved alignment for Southeast LRT is in place from downtown to the new communities and the new South Hospital south of Marquis of Lorne Tr. The line will be over 26 kilometres long with 14 stations. CTrains operating on this line will be of a low floor design that will require minimal station platforms for better community integration.. The Southeast alignment was presented to the Standing Policy Committee on Transportation and Transit on December 12, 2012 and was approved by City Council on January 14, 2013.

The Southeast Transitway:
We are currently working on the preliminary design study for the Southeast Transitway, formally referred to as SETWAY. The Southeast Transitway will ultimately be part of Calgary Transit’s Green Line which will run from Seton in the southeast to Keystone in north central Calgary. To read more about this project please visit the project page
Old 04-29-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whammy View Post
I agree. The younger population is more and more likely to choose bikes as their mode of transport into the core. The old farts in Calgary can't understand it (and never will) but it doesn't matter as they will all be dead in a few years anyhow!
This old fart.............................................. ......loves his bike, and commutes as much as possible.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox red lab View Post
At the end of the day I personally believe bike commuters and couriers will still continue to ride anywhere and everywhere they want and break almost every traffic law possible in the process. Just my observation.
X2
Old 04-29-2014, 10:13 PM

Quote:

x2
I am one of those granola munching hippies that cycle to work and back.
I can't tell you how many times I have come within a ****-hair of being killed by a car on 10th ave.
I am a big supporter of the cycle track system.

Reduces traffic so that you grumpy old farts get to work sooner, with less hassle, allows people more opportunity for exercise, healthier people means less money spent on health care in the long run I see nothing but benefits to this.

Who needs punctuation...
Old 04-30-2014, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riden View Post
This old fart.............................................. ......loves his bike, and commutes as much as possible.
Well, maybe you'll last a bit longer then the rest.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:47 AM

Toronto west can let that pinko Nenshi tax them into oblivion. Next up unicorn lanes, high speed trains and rainbows for everybody.

Toronto west voters remove their brains when it comes time for municipal elections.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:41 AM

At least I hope the cyclist are helping to pay for this in some way. Shouldn't there be bike license fees or something that the users pay?
Old 04-30-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
At least I hope the cyclist are helping to pay for this in some way. Shouldn't there be bike license fees or something that the users pay?
Yup it's called municipal taxes.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneckin View Post
Yup it's called municipal taxes.
But only if they own property.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
But only if they own property.
Oh don't worry about that, even if they are renting they are paying the taxes on the property. With the rents we have in this town at the moment the bills are all being payed by them and landlords are making a bit more on top.