Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-28-2008, 08:14 PM

Default Sako 85

Hello everyone, just joined but I've been reading posts on here for quite some time. I've been searching for my next rifle for about a year now and to tell the truth, I haven't been very impressed with what I'm seeing on the shelves these days. Short of going the used custom route, I decided on a Sako, even though I still have yet to shoot one. I live in the states and 85's are readily available in Grey Wolf and Finnlite models but not the SS Syn. I'm leaning towards the Grey Wolf but would like to hear the pros and cons of the synthetics.

I'm going to top this rifle with a Zeiss 3.5x10 44 or 50mm using Optilocks unless there are cheaper quality mounts. Also, how is the availability of extra mags for the 85? BTW, looking at 7mmRM or maybe the 300WM.

Thanks

Last edited by JM59; 12-28-2008 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM59 View Post
Hello everyone, just joined but I've been reading posts on here for quite some time. I've been searching for my next rifle for about a year now and to tell the truth, I haven't been very impressed with what I'm seeing on the shelves these days. Short of going the used custom route, I decided on a Sako, even though I still have yet to shoot one. I live in the states and 85's are readily available in Grey Wolf and Finnlite models but not the SS Syn. I'm leaning towards the Grey Wolf but would like to hear the pros and cons of the synthetics.

I'm going to top this rifle with a Zeiss 3.5x10 44 or 50mm using Optilocks unless there are cheaper quality mounts. Also, how is the availability of extra mags for the 85? BTW, looking at 7mmRM or maybe the 300WM.

Thanks

I got 85 in 300wm in syn stainless and I love it big time. I topped it with leupold VX-7. Pretty light and dead accurate. I dropped a deer at 349 yards and a moose cow at 436 yards, both dropped dead. You can't go wrong with sako. I bought couple of extra magazines too but never used them because it is hard to loose magazine in 85.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:13 AM

Thats a new model scope you got here, does it gather alot of light during the early morning late afternoon hours? The syn stock is a good choice, better for the elements too, still deciding.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:03 AM

Shekaree, when your mag is loaded and in place do you notice excessive rattling of the cartridges? Read a post about this, especially with long action loads?

John
Old 12-29-2008, 10:19 AM

I use the 85 in the synthetic and the stock is pretty good, handles recoil really well...I have ordered a McMillian Edge stock however to replace it. The laminates I have seen are heavier, but if weight isn't a concern then go for it.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:49 AM

Default Sako Rifles

I bought my first new rifle in 1998 along with a buddy of mine...Sako m75ss 300WM topped with Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 scopes in the Optilok mounts. Great rifles...and I never looked back. Now I have 5 or 6 ...all in the model 75 either the SS or Greywolf models. I personally do not care for the stock design on the model 85, but the Sako m85 will be a great rifle to own.

Sounds like you chosen a great rifle package in the Sako m85ss (or Greywolf) with a Zeiss scope. I'm a 300WM fan and not a 7mmRM fan. Go with the new style Sako Optiloks rings as you will not need the bases with the new style of rings. Never heard the rattle of the ammo in the clip on my Sako rifles but I have on some other guys. Not a concern in my books. Only rattled when the loaded clip was not installed in the rifle.

ENJOY your new rifle.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:49 PM

Yea, I think the 7mm and 300 are still good choices today. I never really understood the attraction of the short magnums, not much to gain especially if you don't reload.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:25 AM

Default Reloads

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM59 View Post
Yea, I think the 7mm and 300 are still good choices today. I never really understood the attraction of the short magnums, not much to gain especially if you don't reload.

If you reload, then I would stick to the 300WM over the 300WSM if you want more performance in the 30 caliber.