Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-03-2014, 02:42 PM

Default Delayed theft (confiscation) is not the answer!

While I somewhat appreciate the CPC's move to provide amnesty for owners of Swiss Arms and CZ 858's this is only delayed confiscation aka theft. The confiscation of these firearms is a symptom of a act desperately need of full amendment. As firearms owners don't take the bait! Stand up for what really needs to happen, a full amendment of bill C-68.

I sent the following letter to all Conservative MP's, I encourage you to do something similar.

While I appreciate the CPC's move to provide amnesty for owners of
Swiss Arms and CZ 858's this is only delayed confiscation. The
confiscation of these firearms is a symptom of a act desperately need
of full amendment. As a long time Conservative Party member and donor
I strongly urge you to immediately redo Bill C-68 and stop the
persecution of law-abiding gun owners who have been subject to
unwarranted seizures, searches and abuse by the RCMP. To make this
clear 2,000,000 votes are riding on your response, in the next
election you may quickly find your conservative base has disappeared
if you refuse to respect those who put you in office!
Old 03-03-2014, 02:47 PM

My MP called right after leaving the Commons.
He assured me the amnesty is only step one.
The Minister is pizzed, and the RCMP, are gonna get a come uppins!
He a knowledges legislative changes will need to be done to ensure this doesn't happen again.
Standby
But keep pushing!
Merrifield said the Govt was shocked by the volume of calls, letters and emails they got over this.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-03-2014, 02:56 PM

The cynic in me sees this as another way for the CPC to raise money from legal gun owner for the next election.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:01 PM

http://www.sunnewsnetwork.ca/video/f.../3287037514001

Just a quick synopsis, with a quick bit showing Min. Blaney stating the amnesty.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:16 PM

Amnesty is a reasonable first step, but nowhere near enough!!

Now is the time to keep up the pressure... The letters, emails, and phone calls are having a positive effect... KEEP IT UP!!!
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 03-03-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
The cynic in me sees this as another way for the CPC to raise money from legal gun owner for the next election.
If they try, you should tell them to get stuffed. Just like the SA and CZ rifles could be reclassified with the stroke a pen, the government could reclassify most of the things that are on restricted/prohibited list if they wanted to. There is no need for changes to legislation, no debate in parliament. The only thing that needs to happen is the cabinet acting.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 03-03-2014, 04:54 PM

An amnesty on it's own is worthless. Amnesty is something that you receive , when you have done something wrong.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
If they try, you should tell them to get stuffed. Just like the SA and CZ rifles could be reclassified with the stroke a pen, the government could reclassify most of the things that are on restricted/prohibited list if they wanted to. There is no need for changes to legislation, no debate in parliament. The only thing that needs to happen is the cabinet acting.

ARG
No ARG, there is a definite need to change the legislation. The same legislation that allows the Minister to unilaterally change these firearms to a sane classification, can just as easily be used by another (non-firearms friendly) minister to prohibit any and all firearms that they decide are not appropriate for Canadian ownership.

At best, Order in Coucil changes would be a short term band aid solution, at worst, it would set a horrific precedence on the powers of the Minister.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:15 PM

wait? Amnesty?

Did someone do something illegal?

Nope. Didn't think so.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post
No ARG, there is a definite need to change the legislation. The same legislation that allows the Minister to unilaterally change these firearms to a sane classification, can just as easily be used by another (non-firearms friendly) minister to prohibit any and all firearms that they decide are not appropriate for Canadian ownership.
I agree that legislative changes are desirable, but we don't have to settle for the status quo while we work towards them.

Quote:
At best, Order in Coucil changes would be a short term band aid solution, at worst, it would set a horrific precedence on the powers of the Minister.
We already have the precedent; just look at the current list. I'm not suggesting the minister should reclassify everything as non-restricted tomorrow. But they could setup a review panel with clear criteria and an open process. I believe if they did that, the list of restricted and prohibited firearms would be much shorter.

It would also give firearms owners a reason to believe that the CPC is indeed supportive of firearms owners and thus a reason to write a donation cheque and a reason to vote for them.

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:44 PM

This is a nice breath of fresh air but it's not enough. Now that we have some attention start writing more letters and more letters and more letters. A hand written mailed letter is more personal than a mass email.. Let's keep up the fight until the entire firearms act is changed.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:19 PM

This move for amnesty is a rather clear indication that the government is not about to do anything major as regards the Firearms Act, the excessive freedom that the RCMP has as regards to firearms, nor rein in "the bureaucrats" who seem to be in control. They certainly don't seem to feel that doing pretty much nothing is going to hurt them politically.

The move on the LGR was one little move that was calculated to garner votes/donations and we don't know for sure if those records have even been destroyed. Harper et al have had years to deal with a major overhaul of the Firearms Act and yet, have failed to deal with any of what precipitated this crisis. It would have taken very little to rescind the prohibition orders on the two firearms, but what is terribly lacking is will. This does not bode well for the firearms community in the longer run. Harper may as well run in an Ontario or QC riding for the next election.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:30 PM

Just emailed my MP Blake Richards. Will post his reply. I am wondering how many of these politicians think gun owners are just paranoid freaks. Are any of them really going to bat for us. Guess we can only try.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:08 AM

This may not be completely on topic but to me it seems mostly relevant. In this recent ordeal with the prohibition of guns there has been a lot of talk about "if" the long gun registry information is still available to the government etc...

Since Quebec is appealing the removal of the Long Gun Registry, the information would still be available until it's all said and done, would it not? So all guns registered prior to 2012 or whenever it was removed should still be on paper somewhere?

Maybe I'm not up to date on the appeal process they are going through, does anyone else know more about it?
Old 03-04-2014, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhughe View Post
This may not be completely on topic but to me it seems mostly relevant. In this recent ordeal with the prohibition of guns there has been a lot of talk about "if" the long gun registry information is still available to the government etc...

Since Quebec is appealing the removal of the Long Gun Registry, the information would still be available until it's all said and done, would it not? So all guns registered prior to 2012 or whenever it was removed should still be on paper somewhere?

Maybe I'm not up to date on the appeal process they are going through, does anyone else know more about it?
The data is now worthless, because some firearms that were registered, have changed ownership several times, and there is no requirement to record who you sell a non registered firearm to. In fact recording that information, would be a registration of sorts, which would be illegal.
Old 03-04-2014, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikhughe View Post

IIRC correctly, since Quebec was the only province appealing, their information was the only part that was saved from the shredder. However as EH11 pointed out, this information would be virtually useless as a starting point: find the date for the abolishment of the registry, go into the for sale section of this forum alone and count back the pages until you reach that date. I got 192 pages.

That's one buy and sell, not counting other forums busier then this, factor in retail sales and that's an awful lot of old information to chase.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:01 AM

Hey guys we cannot back off on this. This amnesty is a bunch of crap. We need to keep writing, e mailing and phoning our MPs and the PMO's office.