Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-02-2014, 07:47 PM

Default Forceful Gun Confiscation Begins In California

California Gun Confiscation Bill Passes, Approves $24 Million To Expedite Illegal Gun Seizure

The California state legislature passed a bill Thursday approving $24 million to expedite the confiscation of the estimated 40,000 handguns and assault weapons illegally owned by Californians.

SB 140, authored by Sen. Mark Leno (D-San Francisco), seeks to remedy the gun-confiscation backlog that has left thousands of illegal guns on the streets, including those owned by those with criminal convictions or serious mental illness.

“We are fortunate in California to have the first and only system in the nation that tracks and identifies individuals who at one time made legal purchases of firearms but are now barred from possessing them,” Leno said in a statement. “However, due to a lack of resources, only a few of these illegally possessed weapons have been confiscated, and the mountain of firearms continues to grow each day."

The measure will take $24 million from the Dealer Record of Sale (DROS) surplus funds and give it to the California Department of Justice, which is in charge of confiscating illegal guns. The DROS account holds fees that are imposed upon every transfer or sale of a firearm in California.

Assemblyman Brian Jones (R-Santee) said he voted against the measure because the fees that make up the DROS funds are intended to cover the cost of background checks -- not confiscations.

"For example, if you go to the DMV and pay for a driver's license, that fee is for processing the driver's license, not for setting up sting operations for catching drunk drivers," he said.

"If the legislature wants to raise extra funds for the DOJ, it would have to impose a tax on firearm sales, which requires a two-thirds vote," he added.

Brandon Combs, executive director of the gun advocacy group Calguns Foundation, agrees that gun confiscation should be paid for out of the state's general fund. His and other pro-gun groups have argued that California's fees on gun buyers are exorbitant.

"The state should not be stealing millions of dollars from gun owners who were overcharged," Combs said.

The funds will go toward enforcing the California DOJ's Armed Prohibited Persons System (APPS) program, which began in 2007. APPS cross-references various databases to check people who have legally purchased handguns and registered assault weapons since 1996 against individuals who are prohibited from owning or possessing firearms.

APPS also cross-references gun owners with individuals who have reported to the state DOJ as mentally ill. Doctors and hospitals are required to report to the state individuals who were found to be a danger to themselves or others, or who were certified for intensive treatment for a mental disorder.

Lynda Gledhill, spokesperson for the California DOJ, said that of the individuals deemed unfit to own guns, about 30 percent have a criminal record, 30 percent are mentally ill, 20 percent have a restraining order out on them and a small percentage have a warrant out for their arrest.

California is the only U.S. state where law enforcement officials confiscate guns from the homes of individuals not legally permitted to own them. Because gun-confiscating agents do not obtain search warrants, their job involves convincing people to let them into their homes and hand over their guns. If an individual does turn over a gun, he or she can be arrested on suspicion of illegally owning a firearm.

Over the past five years, agents conducting twice-weekly sweeps have confiscated more than 10,000 guns. Using the $24 million from SB 140, the California DOJ says it would take three years to catch up with the backlog of confiscated illegal guns.

Leno's bill returns to the Senate for approval of some noncontroversial amendments before heading to Gov. Jerry Brown’s (D) desk. If SB 140 is signed by the governor, it would take effect immediately.

"This makes enormous sense and is one of the only ways available to reduce access to already purchased firearms," Deborah Azrael, associate director of the Harvard Youth Violence Prevention Center. "Universal background checks, as much as we should have them, can affect only the next gun purchased, not the sizable reservoir of guns already out there."

Adam Winker, UCLA law professor and expert on constitutional law, commented on the passage of the California bill after the U.S. Congress' failure to enact national gun background checks.

"We're likely to see much more activity at the state level in the wake of Congress's failure to act," Winkler said. "The gun-control movement's best options now are gun-control laws at the state."

UPDATE: Brown signed SB 140 into law on May 1.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3117238.html

Last edited by 30Cal; 03-02-2014 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:06 PM
Banned

You do realize that media is similar to the National Enquirer in the way of credible reporting don't you? It's just another rag that provide the right flavoured koolaide to the lunatics that want to drink it. I wouldn't believe anything written on Mr Conservative, it is just there for entertainment purposes. If you belive it as true, he's another Mr C article that you might like.

High School Classmate Says Obama Lied Compulsively & Had Sex With Rich White Gays In Exchange For Drugs

http://www.mrconservative.com/2013/1...nge-for-drugs/
Old 03-02-2014, 08:07 PM

Default The Revolution

Those of us who are glued to world affairs ,have long wondered how the
Next American revolution will begin . This seems a reasonable
I don't think the whole story is out maybe just pro gun side ....

Read this History repeats

http://fauquierfreecitizen.com/seven...ion-in-boston/
Old 03-02-2014, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
You do realize that media is similar to the National Enquirer in the way of credible reporting don't you? It's just another rag that provide the right flavoured koolaide to the lunatics that want to drink it. I wouldn't believe anything written on Mr Conservative, it is just there for entertainment purposes. If you belive it as true, he's another Mr C article that you might like.

High School Classmate Says Obama Lied Compulsively & Had Sex With Rich White Gays In Exchange For Drugs

You could be right, however, it will be interesting to follow and see how far the confiscation of firearms goes. With the US economic collapse coming, gun control will become a focus. So is this the beginning?

Last edited by 30Cal; 03-02-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:14 PM
Banned

What would you do if they come to get your guns.

I don't rightly know,, if they don't bring a search warrant and don't bring lots of cash (to pay for the ones they can find ,.......it could get ugly

On the other hand, me being a rancher they might leave me be....
Old 03-02-2014, 08:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post

That was a good article. Thank you very much for posting it.
Old 03-02-2014, 10:07 PM

California, the state that can't find money to pay it's power bills or civil servants ?

Grizz
Old 03-02-2014, 10:41 PM
Banned

Cool

Thanks HD we can now say the US voted in a drug addicted afroamerican homosexual prostitute as president lololol that is sooooo liberal of them slow clap for the openminded US voters . Im impressed way bettet than the last draft dodging coke head that couldnt keep a business afloat in a kiddie pool . Viev the small business man young obama. Bahaha.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Thanks HD we can now say the US voted in a drug addicted afroamerican homosexual prostitute as president lololol that is sooooo liberal of them slow clap for the openminded US voters . Im impressed way bettet than the last draft dodging coke head that couldnt keep a business afloat in a kiddie pool . Viev the small business man young obama. Bahaha.
Thanks for validating my sig line..... Again.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
Ouch!

Much as I am reluctant to say it...fair is fair and credit is deserved where it is earned and .... THAT had to sting

Otherwise it will be interesting to see how this rolls out.
I'm pretty sure that nobody will mind much if a bunch of hoods have ether guns taken away but... will it stop at that?

It will also be interesting to see what the net effect will be.

I suspect it will make no difference other than to raise the profits of those selling guns on the sly and perhaps gun stores in bordering states.

Kind of like bailing with a spoon during a rain storm.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:38 AM

Sure, black market guns should be taken off the streets imo. We all now it's not legally obtained firearms used in the majority of gun related crime.

They shouldn't have used funds dedicated for background checks and such though. The analogies in the article from the Repub seem fitting. Though, income from registration and DL go into GR, and GR pays for public servants so in a round about way...

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 03-03-2014, 02:39 AM

Quote:
I get it.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 03-03-2014, 05:42 AM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Did you read HD 's posted link, ill suggest not .geuss that sig line may go both ways
Old 03-03-2014, 07:28 AM

Default I am missing something

I am taking into account that the credibility of the news source might be questionable, but.....

Isn't this what everyone on here has been demanding. Don't focus on the legal gun owners and make decision that make us criminal overnight, but, put your efforts into taking the guns away from those that should not own them; criminals, mental health patients, person with violent past etc.

Lynda Gledhill, spokesperson for the California DOJ, said that of the individuals deemed unfit to own guns, about 30 percent have a criminal record, 30 percent are mentally ill, 20 percent have a restraining order out on them and a small percentage have a warrant out for their arrest.

Good job California this is what us gun owner in Canada want our enforcement dollars to go towards.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
I am taking into account that the credibility of the news source might be questionable, but.....

Isn't this what everyone on here has been demanding. Don't focus on the legal gun owners and make decision that make us criminal overnight, but, put your efforts into taking the guns away from those that should not own them; criminals, mental health patients, person with violent past etc.

Good job California this is what us gun owner in Canada want our enforcement dollars to go towards.
Agreed...or at least that is how it appears to be.

Course we won't know for sure until it is in full swing.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:12 AM

Strikes me the only issue here is who pays for the program. Legal gun owners should pay for thier own program, not a program to catch illegal gun owners. Let all society share in the cost of that.

But confiscating illegal guns? I'm all for that... as long as the government doesn't suddenly change the law to make a legal gun illegal.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:53 AM
Banned

NY is planning to go a step further.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...liber-/?page=1
Old 03-03-2014, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Did you read HD 's posted link, ill suggest not .geuss that sig line may go both ways
I actually did read it. I was eluding more towards your lack of coherence and generally erratic and emotional posts.
Old 03-03-2014, 12:15 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
I actually did read it. I was eluding more towards your lack of coherence and generally erratic and emotional posts.
Ok spock , then please point out where the quoted post is erratic or emotional . It is analogous of the statment from the link of HD and the draft dodger.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Strikes me the only issue here is who pays for the program. Legal gun owners should pay for thier own program, not a program to catch illegal gun owners. Let all society share in the cost of that.

But confiscating illegal guns? I'm all for that... as long as the government doesn't suddenly change the law to make a legal gun illegal.
My question and concerns are with issues before the courts. You have a legally owned firearm, never committed a crime but your relationship with someone went south and they were vengeful. Now you have a restraining order against you, you're dealing with your legal issues and now there's a knock on the door?

How are they obtaining your medical records to determine you as unfit for ownership?

I don't believe that this will be as cut and dried as everyone expects, even though I do support the efforts of removing firearms from those who should not have them. I just question the process and funding.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.