Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-01-2014, 11:09 PM

Default Can somebody draw up a letter for the masses?

Just a suggestion here ..

A lot of people are obviously incredibly frustrated with the latest gun grab announcements, me included! People absolutely need to pick up their phones/write some letters to make their voices herd. However there are probably a bunch of people out there that may want to do something but for whatever reason aren't capable of getting it done. Maybe one of our Savvy gun/govt members could draw up a letter for the masses? Mods would that fly on here?

Like I said - Just a suggestion...
Old 03-01-2014, 11:18 PM

If you are on Gunnutz, there's a Swiss Arms / CZ 858 Reclassification thread with a specific thread regarding this type of letter, the email and snail-mail addresses of PM, PS Minister Blaney, and a full list of MP contact info.

If you are not on there, and really don't want to register, some copy/pasting of letters can be arranged.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:00 AM

I was just about to ask you guys what I should say in the letter I am going to send my MP. But I think I just got over my writers block. I am going to ask him/her to protect my intrests and simple pleasures in life from people that think i am evil because I own a couple of rifles and shot guns. What else can I say that might motivate someone to give a dam ! I went to town hall meetings when Allen Rock was doing his thing and got even more upset when they rammed the gun registry down our throats. My 8 yr old daughter just asked me what I'm doing and I told her I am standing up for my rights . Told her that certain people think my guns are dangerous and might take them away . Get this she said what about our knives are they going to take them away too? Not yet I told her . But even kid can see how stupid this whole thing is.

Last edited by michaelmicallef; 03-02-2014 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:16 AM

Be careful of bulk recycled letters. Those things were tried in the '90's, and was thrown back in the Firearms communities face.

Personal letters, either faxed or mailed to the Government is what catches their eyes and ears.

Some points to remember are:

-Provide your contact information.
-Keep it short and to the point.
-Tell them what is wrong.
-Tell what you'd like to see corrected or changed.
-Request a personal reply.

I requested in my letters that;
-The reclassifications be rescinded.(compensation is not acceptable)
-Changes within the RCMP, and their direction wrt. this matter.
-A re-write of the Firearms Act, thus removing this issue and others.
-Entrenching of property rights to citizens.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-02-2014, 08:22 AM

I find funny that we all hate getting a form letter response from an MP's assistant yet we are willing to send them. I'm sure a letter in your own words comes across as a letter from someone who actually cares about the issue. No matter how bad your grammar it is your words that get heard.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:34 AM

Default They should respond

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmicallef View Post
I was just about to ask you guys what I should say in the letter I am going to send my MP. But I think I just got over my writers block. I am going to ask him/her to protect my intrests and simple pleasures in life from people that think i am evil because I own a couple of rifles and shot guns. What else can I say that might motivate someone to give a dam ! I went to town hall meetings when Allen Rock was doing his thing and got even more upset when they rammed the gun registry down our throats. My 8 yr old daughter just asked me what I'm doing and I told her I am standing up for my rights . Told her that certain people think my guns are dangerous and might take them away . Get this she said what about our knives are they going to take them away too? Not yet I told her . But even kid can see how stupid this whole thing is.

I have written to various gov people in the past and I think that the personal letter works better than a generic letter. They should respond as well. If they don't Write another one.

Jw
Old 03-02-2014, 10:09 AM

I have only writen to my MP once in my life before And he called me back in person. It wasn't in regards to this issue however. He did mention that the more people that wrote him the more he would be able to help. That's his job!
Old 03-02-2014, 10:54 AM

Smile letters to MP's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Be careful of bulk recycled letters. Those things were tried in the '90's, and was thrown back in the Firearms communities face.

Personal letters, either faxed or mailed to the Government is what catches their eyes and ears.

Some points to remember are:

-Provide your contact information.
-Keep it short and to the point.
-Tell them what is wrong.
-Tell what you'd like to see corrected or changed.
-Request a personal reply.

I requested in my letters that;
-The reclassifications be rescinded.(compensation is not acceptable)
-Changes within the RCMP, and their direction wrt. this matter.
-A re-write of the Firearms Act, thus removing this issue and others.
-Entrenching of property rights to citizens.
very good, I have done this same type of letter and waiting a reply on the High River gun fiasco, sent last fall still have no response. I have sent one on the recent gun reclassifications as well. All we can do for now is bombard them with requests.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhl View Post
very good, I have done this same type of letter and waiting a reply on the High River gun fiasco, sent last fall still have no response. I have sent one on the recent gun reclassifications as well. All we can do for now is bombard them with requests.
If they do not reply, pick up the ringy dingy thingy and call the individuals constituency office, and ask as to where your reply is!

There are no absolutes
Old 03-02-2014, 11:42 AM

I made a few points in mine that the only option in regards to the recent reclassification that made sense was to return them to their previous reclassification. We as a country have better things to do with our tax dollars then buy back legally owned property without just cause. Grandfathering just encourages the stripping of rights to that property.

Also included was the notion that we need a body examining these firearms that are not prejudiced against private ownership of firearms. The RCMP have, in very recent memory, proven themselves against that in light of:

- their opposition to the long gun registry despite the will of the majority in its removal.

- The attempt of RCMP overseen CFOs harassing businesses in an effort to thwart the legislative house in setting up back door registries

- their actions and responses to the high river flooding illegal search and seizure

- and the ongoing efforts to reclassify any firearm that is semi automatic as a prohibited firearm.

This is where we need to push back on. I have two paper letters on my table as well to go in the mail later today. Postage is free to members of parliament, boys and girls. It'll cost you a piece of paper, an envelope, and maybe an hour of your time.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.