Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-15-2008, 10:51 PM

Default .223 loads for an AR-15

I reload for quite a few different calibers with great success. I have 4 rifles that I can squeeze 1/2" groups out of, & last summer I bought an AR. A Rock River Arms Pedator Pursiut in .223, 1-8" twist. Rock River claims this little baby, will shoot .75 MOA. I tried all the 50 gr bullets I can find from Hornady, Nosler, Sierra, & Barnes & haven't found anything in particular that it seems to like yet. I'm thinking it's a stabilzation problem. Everything seems to hover around the 1.5" mark. I would like to try something heavier, but am having trouble finding 60 gr. .224 bullets. Now in my little world, this isn't good enough. I realise there are some drawbacks with an AR mag. eg. OAL. Rock River uses their own .223 Wilde chamber, not as much free bore, to help with this problem. My Redding seating dies don't want to seat as deep as I would like. Set all the way down, a quarter turn from crimping the case mouth, & I can just, just get them to fit into the mag. I just loaded some Barnes Varminator 50 gr H.P. sitting on 25.5 gr of Benchmark, fired by CCI Small Rifle Benchrest Primers today, & as soon as I can get out I'm going to try these. But in the mean time, anybody got any ideas that I might be missing ??prdp07.gif
Old 12-17-2008, 04:17 PM

eol

Last edited by gunsnreels; 01-29-2009 at 01:43 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 08:09 PM

Default Twist rates

With a 1:8 twist rate you would be better off using a heavier bullet....something in or around 80 grain weight.
Velocity will suffer but accuracy should increase.............this heavier bullet would be wll suited to further ranges as well !!!
This is a link to a Twist Rate chart that has worked pretty well for me when intially selecting bullet weights.

http://www.riflebarrels.com/products...wist_rates.htm
Old 12-18-2008, 12:21 AM

Are you crimping your rounds?

Try picking up a Lee factory crimp die ($12.00 from wholesale) I noticed that my AR shoots much more consistenly with a firm crimp. The crimp from the seating die just doesn't seem to cut it.

My personal load is Hornady 55grn FMJBT seated over 20.9grn of IMR 4198 with a Winchester Small Rifle Primer. 55grn SP seems to work as well. Just be aware of feeding issues since these firearms were never designed to operate with anything but FMJ ammo
Old 12-21-2008, 05:06 PM

eol

Last edited by gunsnreels; 01-29-2009 at 01:41 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington700 View Post
Are you crimping your rounds?

Try picking up a Lee factory crimp die ($12.00 from wholesale) I noticed that my AR shoots much more consistenly with a firm crimp. The crimp from the seating die just doesn't seem to cut it.

My personal load is Hornady 55grn FMJBT seated over 20.9grn of IMR 4198 with a Winchester Small Rifle Primer. 55grn SP seems to work as well. Just be aware of feeding issues since these firearms were never designed to operate with anything but FMJ ammo
Excellent advise, exactly what the Doctor ordered. I haven't had a chance to apply said advice, as I'm working the last few days before Christmas, but I really think your on to something. I'll let you know how it turns out.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:35 PM

eol

Last edited by gunsnreels; 01-29-2009 at 01:41 AM.