Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-13-2014, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
Why buy a Remington in the first place.

There is not much there to like.

Have to replace the barrel, replace the trigger, replace the stock and actions are rough.

There are a lot of choices out there if one is spending that kind of money IMO.

Total nonsense, most 700s will easily shoot sub moa with proper loads, so the barrels are fine for the vast majority of hunters. Some 700s are stocked with H-S Precision, or even McMillan, and their plastic and wood stocks are no worse than the competition, in the same price range. The triggers can be adjusted to be as crisp and light as most factory triggers, and much better than many competitors. If you have ever owned a factory 40X, you would be aware of just how accurate a factory Remington can be, and just how predictable the trigger design can be. My own 40XBKS broke within an ounce of the setting, consistently.
Old 02-13-2014, 05:58 AM

And the 40X comes out of Remingtons custom shop.
So basically blueprinted and hand tuned and fitted - not a stock rifle as such.
Pretty much what I have already stated.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Total nonsense, most 700s will easily shoot sub moa with proper loads, so the barrels are fine for the vast majority of hunters. Some 700s are stocked with H-S Precision, or even McMillan, and their plastic and wood stocks are no worse than the competition, in the same price range. The triggers can be adjusted to be as crisp and light as most factory triggers, and much better than many competitors. If you have ever owned a factory 40X, you would be aware of just how accurate a factory Remington can be, and just how predictable the trigger design can be. My own 40XBKS broke within an ounce of the setting, consistently.
X 2. It's always good to make an informed buying decision, but CNBC is no place to be enlightened in my view. My 700 Ti in 7mm-08 is a lightweight laser. My A-bolt in 300 WM is pretty much a safe queen now.

By the way, when I put a Timney trigger spring in that A-bolt, it became possible to set it up to the point where it was unstable. The original trigger weight was no doubt designed by the legal department to protect Browning from being sued into the ground by idiots and ambulance chasers. The only awards they are deserving of, is Darwin awards.

As I've said earlier, the trick in life is to be at least 10% smarter than your tools.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
And the 40X comes out of Remingtons custom shop.
So basically blueprinted and hand tuned and fitted - not a stock rifle as such.
Pretty much what I have already stated.
Your statement was a broad generalization. I took it for what it was worth about $0.02
Old 02-13-2014, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCanuck View Post
Your statement was a broad generalization. I took it for what it was worth about $0.02
Thank you. I can respect that - as I am respectful of others opinions.

You are entitled to purchase as many Remingtons as you see fit - it is your money.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
The 40x trigger is simply a tuned 700 trigger, so the design obviously works. As for the barrels, they are made from standard Remington blanks. As for the standard 700s, every one that I have owned shot sub moa, with several did considerably better than that.As for the action, it obviously has some merits, being as how it is the most commonly copied design.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:49 AM

The one good thing I will say about Remington (Gravel) is when I was having issues with a 700 SPS I bought in 2006 they were pretty good with trying to figure out the problem. Rifle wouldn't shoot straight with a warm barrel. They sent me two different stocks and four boxes of different ammunition to try. Turned out to be a non-concentric barrel. They replaced the rifle with a new one. Which I sold unfired.
Old 02-13-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
The 40x trigger is simply a tuned 700 trigger, so the design obviously works. As for the barrels, they are made from standard Remington blanks. As for the standard 700s, every one that I have owned shot sub moa, with several did considerably better than that.As for the action, it obviously has some merits, being as how it is the most commonly copied design.
Ive had the same experiences as you elk every ine ive had or still have has been a sub moa or better rifle, i have a couple with the xmark , as well as a couple with the original trigger and one with the 40x all have been problem free i will say i did not like the xmark and put timneys in those but i just found they didnt adjust as low as claimed ir even close really my only complaint and as far as the 40x trigger my timneys are not any better its a great trigger

In the end its up to each consumer to make their choices not get put down by others who dissagree nothing in this thread has pursuaded me to change my opinion on the 700 and none of my thoughts will change others opinion im sure so I think this thread is done for me its been interesting though
Old 02-13-2014, 11:51 PM

Happened to me. I was outside and I loaded the gun. Aimed at creek about 200yards and pulled trigger...nothing. Flicked the safety to safe and boom! Tested it 2 more times with same result each time. Put in a new Timney trigger and was a awesome rifle!