Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-12-2014, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck Country View Post
All mountain hunting gets romanticized after the fact, it can be a tough go for whatever species your hunting in the Rockies and be prepared for severe weather, it can be 20 degrees one minute and snowing the next. Most of the mountain hunting i have done has been a real trial in desire vs comfort. All I can say is i love every minute of it and wouldn't trade my hunting experiences in the Rockies for anything!
This paragraph right here is the reason I want to do it so badly.

I think this may turn into another obsession
Old 02-12-2014, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I've always found mulies easier to hunt than whitetail, at least near Calgary. I've walked within 50 yards of mule deer and had them just stare at me. Of course all I had in my pocket was a whitetail tag. I've never had to eat a mule deer tag at the end of the season, and I'm no expert hunter. Getting the tag is the limiting factor.
I have found that to be true with does, and the one buck that I shot on the prairie. The buck was not a real big one, and wasn't a real smart one either but on the same trip saw some real big ones and there was no way you were going to get close to them.

The big ones don't get big by being stupid
Old 02-12-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ****** View Post
Don't forget that you can still hunt mule deer every year without drawing a tag. That's what I do and I see my fill of bucks. If you are looking for a high country hunting experience there are lots of places to go and you can hold onto your preference points for a unit with a history of high trophy potential in a few years.

Bow hunting?

I own a bow and tried a few times but have yet to fling a arrow at a deer.
What strategy would you use in the mountains to get within bow range for deer?
Old 02-12-2014, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shongololo View Post
I was thinking 305, it's got some fairly decent hills.
And about 1,000,000 hunters

welcome to Chaos
Old 02-12-2014, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguyd View Post
And about 1,000,000 hunters

welcome to Chaos
It's really that bad out there?

I have only been there during the off season.

What's 402 like as far as number of hunters ? is it comparable or are there less people?
Old 02-12-2014, 10:26 PM

305 has some nice mulies but as mentioned tons of hunters. I don't really think of it as high country considering you can drive south through the top of the porcupine hills. I'd consider the 400's and maybe the zones that don't allow off road vehicles to really experience the high country.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeshunter View Post
305 has some nice mulies but as mentioned tons of hunters. I don't really think of it as high country considering you can drive south through the top of the porcupine hills. I'd consider the 400's and maybe the zones that don't allow off road vehicles to really experience the high country.
305 is draw only for mule deer so really there is limited tags so there is not 1,000,000 people hunting them.
Old 02-13-2014, 06:54 AM

I guess I better start scouting 402 then.
Thanks guys
Old 02-13-2014, 08:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
I guess I better start scouting 402 then.
Thanks guys
I think you need to check out the draw summary report. Almost everything in all of those zones are on a draw. Some are a real long wait to draw a tag. 402 is one of the long waits.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Bow hunting?

I own a bow and tried a few times but have yet to fling a arrow at a deer.
What strategy would you use in the mountains to get within bow range for deer?
With a bow you find them by glassing early and staying late. Once you locate a buck you have to wait for him to be in a stalkable location. Then come around and down from above him. Go slow and quiet. Some stalks are hours, some are all day.

During the general rifle season for mule deer the strategy is the same but the stalks get easier because you only have to get a clear line of sight from somewhere inside your shooting range.

I like the early season because the bucks are high and in open country. Once snow and weather push them into the treeline they get harder to find and follow.

People in SUVs, driving through their sprawling suburbs, will end the lives of more animals than a man with a bow ever could.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:27 AM

Quote:
I was thinking 305, it's got some fairly decent hills.
No real "alpine" or high country in 305. Gotta go west to the eastern slopes.
305 to me is all about being there first and, or having access and permission.
Second option is the rut but they are pretty picked over by then. Hunting it every 5 + years just is not gonna scratch this guys itch. I hunted it this year and ate the tag, just never saw any jaw droppers.
I think bdub pics really captures what high country mule deer dreams are made of. Earning a trophy by ones effort and boot leather rather than just driving around in a pick up and shooting a buck on private land every 4-6 years , IF it meets your standards. One just doesn't compare to the other IMO.
Old 02-13-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
I have found that to be true with does, and the one buck that I shot on the prairie. The buck was not a real big one, and wasn't a real smart one either but on the same trip saw some real big ones and there was no way you were going to get close to them.

The big ones don't get big by being stupid
LOL My buck this year must have been an exception. Dumb as they come. Big 4x4. We saw each other at same time, under 100 yards apart. I dropped to one knee and aimed. He actually walked towards me, seemed to be curious. I was praying for him to stop and turn, and he finally did. One shot and he was on the ground instantly.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterfowler1969 View Post
I think you need to check out the draw summary report. Almost everything in all of those zones are on a draw. Some are a real long wait to draw a tag. 402 is one of the long waits.
http://mywildalberta.com/hunting/Hun...t/Default.aspx
Old 02-13-2014, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I've always found mulies easier to hunt than whitetail, at least near Calgary. I've walked within 50 yards of mule deer and had them just stare at me. Of course all I had in my pocket was a whitetail tag. I've never had to eat a mule deer tag at the end of the season, and I'm no expert hunter. Getting the tag is the limiting factor.
I think mule deer CAN be very evasive, but being that they are on draw out on the prairies they don't really see a ton of pressure. As they grow larger head gear they start to attract attention to themselves but by then it's too late to really develope that elusiveness cause they are already in the box of someone's pick up. That's my take any way.
Old 02-13-2014, 02:54 PM

I hunted 406 pretty hard last year. Don't think I'll put in for a tag there again, just not many deer, unless I take my horses and get even further back. I say that but already debating putting in again for this year. Nothing like hiking until you feel like you are going to die and only seeing a few old tracks in the snow.
Old 02-13-2014, 03:22 PM

Spend you Recon time in July/August as in every day you can in your zone

get high and spend all day if you can I have seen them get up finally after 10 am some days... or come out of trees at 1 pm ..
here is a WT in 438 that's high but the date is important

opening morning there should be one shot

Good luck on your Quest

May the Force be with you

David
Old 02-13-2014, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhuntley12 View Post
I hunted 406 pretty hard last year. Don't think I'll put in for a tag there again, just not many deer, unless I take my horses and get even further back. I say that but already debating putting in again for this year. Nothing like hiking until you feel like you are going to die and only seeing a few old tracks in the snow.
On the other hand, its sure a nice long gun season in 406! I do like that part of it. Hunting in just your shirt sleeves in September.