Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-10-2014, 01:39 PM

Default Steel Shot and Shotguns

Sold my shotgun 15+ years ago. Now my kids want to try duck and goose hunting so I'm looking for some used shotguns. Last time I duck hunted steel shot was never thought of. My question is do/will older shotguns work with steel shot? How do I tell?
Old 02-10-2014, 01:46 PM

How "older" are we talking?

For the most part, modern steel barrelled shotguns (say 1940's on) with factory modified or more open chokes will handle steel shot up to BB just fine.

Some thick walled barrels will handle being reamed out to modified from full without much weakening of the barrel.

Frankly, for the price of a Mossberg or 870 Express, why would you buy an older shotgun to "try duck hunting"?
Old 02-10-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pudelpointer View Post

Frankly, for the price of a Mossberg or 870 Express, why would you buy an older shotgun to "try duck hunting"?
Cause I like shotguns with 2 barrels.
Old 02-10-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntnut View Post
Cause I like shotguns with 2 barrels.
Ahhhh, that is different.

Not many O/U or SxS shotguns (at least nice ones) have the barrel thickness to be bored out from full to mod; there are some though.

So, in general you are looking for Mod/IC fixed choke guns, or guns with interchangeable chokes.

Make sure the interchangeable chokes themselves are rated for steel. Many chokes are only rated for lead, as a hunting friend found out on the opening day of duck season in September.

Having said that.... quality O/U and SxS scatterguns are not cheap, even used. IF you are just looking to get the kids out for ducks to see if they like it, I will go back to my earlier suggestion of a decent affordable pump gun.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:07 PM

You also might want to look for something that takes at least a 3" shell. My old pumps are 2 3/4" only fixed full chokes reamed out to modified. With the steel shot you might want a few more and larger pellets than what you may be accustomed to using when lead was legal.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz 700 View Post
You also might want to look for something that takes at least a 3" shell. My old pumps are 2 3/4" only fixed full chokes reamed out to modified. With the steel shot you might want a few more and larger pellets than what you may be accustomed to using when lead was legal.
I never had an issue myself with shootign 2 3/4" ammo, ad my partener has a 2 3/4" ammo remington 100 that he would not trade for anything!
he does have a "dial a duck" on it ( Poly Choke) and keeps it on IC instead of mod.
Cat
Old 02-10-2014, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I never had an issue myself with shootign 2 3/4" ammo, ad my partener has a 2 3/4" ammo remington 100 that he would not trade for anything!
he does have a "dial a duck" on it ( Poly Choke) and keeps it on IC instead of mod.
Cat
I have shot a few ducks and couple geese in the years since steel became mandatory, and all but a handful have been with 2 3/4" shells.

What do recommend is using #3 or #4 in fast shells (~1500 fps) for ducks, and #2 early on, and up to BB later in the season for geese.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:52 PM
Gone Hunting

All my shotguns are older, pre 1980 and I have used steel in all of them.
I found that steel will bulge the barrel on a full choke gun, but on the more open choke guns I find no effect detectable after several boxes of ammo spent.

This fall I hunted mostly with a older 20 gauge 2 3/4 using #2 shot for Geese.
The shotgun preformed flawlessly although I had to shorten the range by aprox. ten yards. I would have preferred to use 00 buck but could only find #2s.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntnut View Post
Sold my shotgun 15+ years ago. Now my kids want to try duck and goose hunting so I'm looking for some used shotguns. Last time I duck hunted steel shot was never thought of. My question is do/will older shotguns work with steel shot? How do I tell?
If you are going to be goose hunting, definitely go with something in at least a 3" and stay with the 12 gauge. Sub guns are fine for upland, but when you are shooting birds that are 8-10lbs or bigger, the 12 is better suited IMO.