Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-23-2007, 12:29 PM
Shortening a gun stock

Default Shortening a gun stock

My gun stock is a tad too long and I am thinking about cutting it down myself. It's a wood stock. Any of you ever attemp this?

I have had a couple of friends tell me that they have done it. They took off the butt (or the recoil pad or whatever they had on it) and just used masking tape so the wood wouldn't chip, made their mark and cut. Then reattached the recoil pad or whatever they had on it before.
Old 04-23-2007, 04:27 PM
Moose Talker

I shortend my Daughters Huskvarna 6.5x55 that way, then later on added a same size piece of different wood as a spacer back on as she grew into it.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:08 PM
packhuntr

I have seen this mistake also, cause i did it to a little rem 720 in 270 i bought for my wife. I agree that a gun has to fit and good if one is to shoot it well and with confidence. But i cringe at the mention of cutting. She has moved on from that 270, and i wish i had never cut it. I cant shoot it, and until our unborn child grows up, it is completely useless. Not sure of your situation, but find a crappy stock, and cut it. I know i couldnt stand going through, watching another nice stock getting cut in my lifetime. Its one of those, can never go back things.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:08 PM
Dick284

You could also go to a thinner recoil pad, Pachmeyer Decellerators do come in 1/2" .