Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-05-2014, 06:26 PM

Default tumbler media "dust"

I picked up some dry-tumbled lapua brass the other day, it's got a reddish tumbling-media dusting on and inside it...

I personally have only ever sonic-cleaned, never did go the tumbling route.. is this "dust" okay to leave and the brass be loaded with some still on & inside the hull, or has a guy got to wash it off/out somehow? ...am curious how you guys dry-tumbling your brass deal with that residue (or if it's even any concern) ??

Thanks
Old 02-05-2014, 06:40 PM

I just run a brush through mine and it cleans it up.
Quit tumbling my Mag tech black powder shotgun brass however as the inside base has a bump where the primer sits and it gets clogged and will not clean properly with a brush
Ultra sonic is the way to go with that stuff !
Cat
Old 02-05-2014, 06:43 PM

That's why I switched to stainless pins. I hated the thought of the polishing media going through my barrel and got tired of cleaning the insides with a Q-tip.
Old 02-05-2014, 08:45 PM

Default Dust

I run two bounce sheets cut into 4 pieces in my tumbler and it grabs a ton of the dust. Makes a huge difference! Change them every couple of months and it will do wonders for you.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
That's why I switched to stainless pins. I hated the thought of the polishing media going through my barrel and got tired of cleaning the insides with a Q-tip.
Stainless pins getting stuck in a case and shot down your barrel will wreck it way faster than a bit of "organic" tumbling media.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:02 AM

I will let you know when I get a stuck pin. It's the abrasive polishing compound not the actual media I don't like. You need to check your cases after cleaning no matter which system you use. However my stainless will also clean the primer pockets and entire inside of the case. Dry media, not so much.

Last edited by double gun; 02-06-2014 at 09:08 AM.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:08 AM
Banned

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaleh01 View Post
I run two bounce sheets cut into 4 pieces in my tumbler and it grabs a ton of the dust. Makes a huge difference! Change them every couple of months and it will do wonders for you.
I've heard of doing this in the past but haven't yet tried it. Do you use fresh sheets out of the box? or do you use thse that have tumbled with laundry?
Old 02-06-2014, 10:40 AM

That dust is easy to deal with. A quick wash in hot soapy water, rinse and air dry gets rid of it, and any sizing lube as well.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I've heard of doing this in the past but haven't yet tried it. Do you use fresh sheets out of the box? or do you use thse that have tumbled with laundry?
New sheets out of the box, and my tumbler allows me to drain the media to separate the brass. This also allows me to get rid of some dust each time.
Old 02-06-2014, 03:48 PM

Default Tumbling Media

I used the untreated corn cob media (the yellow stuff). If I am full length sizing I tumble before that if neck sizing I dont. I always tumble after case prep is all done. I like to run a couple of used bounce sheets when I tumble to pick up some dust and grime. I put a bit of FA polishing compund in on the second tumble. With the bounce sheets and polish I dont find much dust on my cases at all, I wipe my tumbler out with a rag after use.

I do not like the red media at all, I have only used it a couple times and it leaves a red ting on the brass, my hands and anything else it comes in contact with, no thanks!

I have seen brass tumbled in SS pins and wow does it ever come out nice, inside and out. It is a bit more expensive to get set up doing it that way, with excellent results!
Old 02-06-2014, 05:23 PM
Banned

Thanks kaleh!