Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-03-2014, 10:22 PM

Default recoil pad ? for Rem 870

I have a 98% Remington 870 (from the early '70s) whose original recoil pad I want to replace as it has lost some of its give.

I would prefer avoiding the downtime of a grind-to-fit, but will go that way if you think there are substantial benefits.

Can you guys suggest a brand of modern recoil pad that would be a decent fit on a wood-stocked Wingmaster? (Not a slip-on)
Old 02-04-2014, 10:41 AM

Believe Limbsaver has pre-fit pads..........

Firearm Model Stock Type Template Product Length Width

870 Wingmaster Wood 10102 219460 4.70" 1.6"
Old 02-04-2014, 12:00 PM

Default My Suggestion

Take the pad off and drive to your local gun supply store. Then keep trying to match one up until you are happy with the fit. Outside fit is more important than lining up the screw holes for a wood stock. You can change the hole locations fairly easy with a drill, 5/16" bit, 3/8 " dowel and some gorilla glue. Also if you print the templates off the Limbsaver website they are fairly accurate to true size, but personally I woud still take the drive.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benelli1 View Post
Believe Limbsaver has pre-fit pads..........

Firearm Model Stock Type Template Product Length Width

870 Wingmaster Wood 10102 219460 4.70" 1.6"
I've got the same issue as OP. Bought this limbsaver pad before I measured the wood and it's too small. My 1954 wingmaster needs 5"x1.75"
Old 02-04-2014, 02:48 PM

Remington themselves sell a pre-fit Supercell recoil pad.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Remington themselves sell a pre-fit Supercell recoil pad.
Yeah but the OP'S gun is a wood stock from the 70's. Might not be the exact same as the stocks today. Fairly sure most companies would be making recoil pads to fit the specs on the current production line. Maybe I am wrong, it's happen before.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:44 AM

It may be very well worth the downtime due to grind-to-fit, given this short term (possibly quite short - grind to fit recoil pads can be installed in a resonably expedient manner, to be sure) out of order status caused by such an application is offset by an opportunity to insure your gun fit remains the same if that is what you are going for. Grind to fit also represents a fine chance to fine tune that Wingmaster's fit to yourself. I'd seriously consider grind to fit myself and would lean that way if my gun needed a new pad.

If I was going for a pre-fit I do believe I'd definitely want to check out a variety to check for fit. Insuring that your gun shoots where you look is accomplished in large part by fit. Without this, a wide degree of compensation techniques must be employed to hit ones target. Fit can not really ever be overstated when it comes to a Shotgun used for Wingshooting/Aerial targets and small game (the Wingmaster's forte). Fit is never a bad thing and aids in still target shooting (Big Game; Turkey, Card shooting, fighting shotgun disciplines likewise. You name it, a better fit will bring about better results!

The only excepetion that proves this rule that I can think of is an idiosyncratic technique used for handling heavy-recoiling loads by Jeff Quinn of GunBlast.com fame - he holds the gun a couple inches off the shoulder with a push/pull grip on the gun and states it abates felt recoil of heavy loads for him.

Sounds like you've got a lovely gun there Sir. All the best with your renos!

Last edited by "No Choke"Lord Walsingham; 02-05-2014 at 12:54 AM.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:24 PM

Thank you all for sharing your experience.
I have decided to seek out the services of a
gunsmith in the Cranbrook or South Country area.