Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-28-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
I hunt mostly at very early light or late evening light , and a higher power magnification is not as clear as the lower power in those conditions.
As far as variables on a big game rifle go, I don't need it so cannot see the point of a variable power ring that I will never use......
Cat
Question for you Cat. What's your average shot distance in the field?
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 01-28-2014, 12:44 PM

This is an interesting thread, I'm surprised by how many prefer fixed value scopes. I prefer taking a little longer shot on high magnification. When your farther away you can move a bit more, have more time to set up, have the time to make an accurate shot. My thoughts are to aim small and miss small. I will regularly do a 300yrd shot on 18-24x.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:49 PM

At practical game shooting ranges (which I consider to be under four hundred yards), a four power scope will allow one to make good, clean shots on big game. For varmint shooting, I consider ten power to be a minimum and prefer twelve.
I prefer fixed power scopes because they are lighter and can be more rugged. Lighter scopes stress the mount system less under recoil and are less susceptible to damage.
For target use, I see absolutely no purpose in a variable scope.
One advantage a variable offers in the field is the ability for the hunter to make a final evaluation of an animal before making a shot. In some cases, this can help to avoid a mistake which could cost. I can recall instances where I had to re-employ binoculars because I couldn't see well enough through the three power scope to be certain of a head. Leeper
Old 01-28-2014, 01:53 PM

I prefer variables
When I lived in South Saskatchewan 250- 400 yards were normal shots, its flat country with little or no trees, imagine stalking game on a pool table. The sand hills were my favorite for mule deer laying on top of a sand dune waiting for something to show up and then adjusting my scope (2X7 Redfield widefield) to see the head gear, when walking around I set my scope on the lowest power for more field of view.
In the North I like a Leupold VX-III 1.5-5 you can see an animal 10 feet away in the bush, taking a running shot is possible. I set it to 5 power for sighting in and load development or if you see Bullwinkle at 300 yards some extra power is a good option.
Old 01-28-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon View Post
I've used a lot of variables and still own one...will probably own another again at some point. You're statement that I bolded is not quite accurate. Try out a quality fixed 4 or 6 sometime and then compare it to a variable of similar quality and obj. size. Fixed powers have a nicer image (crisper, brighter) than variables in the same price range.

You may get converted yet!
I thought someone might catch that , I agree less parts,lenses etc should produce a better image in the same price/quality range.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:01 PM

I agree that fixed power scopes in quality lines have optics as good or better than some variables in the same line. I think that is why in the Leupold line the fixed 4s and 6s often cost as much as the VX-2 variables. I think in that respect you get what you pay for.

Other than Leupold I can not think of another line that carries a quality fixed. Weaver maybe but I have not seen any recently.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnBlues63 View Post
Question for you Cat. What's your average shot distance in the field?
The majority of my shots are under 200 but I have made one shot kills as far as 423 with a fixed power scope and 379 with receiver sights
Longest kill with open rights was 150 paces with a Hawken .58
Cat
Old 01-28-2014, 05:58 PM

You did mean big game, right?

Cat
Old 01-28-2014, 06:22 PM

My preference is variable for varmint rifles, 1.5x6 for bush hunting, and a 6 or 8 (x56 if possible) Swaro for open fields.
Old 01-30-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
You did mean big game, right?

Cat

Yep!

Quote:
The majority of my shots are under 200 but I have made one shot kills as far as 423 with a fixed power scope and 379 with receiver sights
Longest kill with open rights was 150 paces with a Hawken .58
Cat
That's what I figured....on average 200 or less. I suspect that's true for most hunters and really, a fixed power scope is perfect for 50 to 200 yard shots. I know between 50 and 250 I never change my variable from 5. Other than that 500 yard shot last year (with a high end scope) the only other time I can remember turning it up to shoot was a 300 yard shot on an elk and even then, I only dialed it up to 7.

I've been buying the 3-9x40 Bushnell Banner scopes because they're decent and relatively inexpensive. I actually bought a rifle last year with a 4x fixed Bushnell scope but I had a spare variable handy so replaced it. I'm probably going to put that 4x on my Ruger 10/20 and take it back to SK this August to plink some gophers when I go to visit family/friends. If I like it, I may put it on my spare lever action.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 01-30-2014, 11:15 AM

I can't tell if this is a discussion about the "variable" function, or, the merit of lower, fixed-power scopes. Personally, I think there isn't a right answer, just personal preferences based on what you shoot, what time of day, and the distance involved. If you're in thick woods hunting big game with a scope on 12x, chances are you're not doing yourself any favors. On the other side of that coin, if a groundhog has only the top 1/2" of it's head sticking out of his hole from 250 yards away, you'd never know it's there with a fixed 4x or 6x scope. Both of my varmint guns have variables from 4-16x. If I'm shooting groundhogs, it stays locked on 16x. If I'm after coyotes, it's locked on 4x or 6x depending on the situation. The fact that they are variables doesn't mean I'm messing around with that adjustment ring when I get a shot opportunity, it's set the moment I get out of the truck and left fixed on that position. In other words, "variable" gives me the best of both worlds, and I don't mind carrying around a little more scope to have that advantage.
Old 01-30-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I agree that fixed power scopes in quality lines have optics as good or better than some variables in the same line. I think that is why in the Leupold line the fixed 4s and 6s often cost as much as the VX-2 variables. I think in that respect you get what you pay for.

Other than Leupold I can not think of another line that carries a quality fixed. Weaver maybe but I have not seen any recently.
Any quality European scope manufacter offers fixed power scopes! That are of much higher quality the American optics I might add. The world of optics is much bigger leupold or weaver.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally338 View Post
Any quality European scope manufacter offers fixed power scopes! That are of much higher quality the American optics I might add. The world of optics is much bigger leupold or weaver.
OK
Old 01-31-2014, 05:23 AM
Banned

Variable power scope is nice if you need to read someone's shirt at a long distance or licence plates. Stuff like that.