Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-17-2014, 05:24 PM

Default Coyotes are smart!

I got out yesterday and got 20 rat traps out. I checked them today and caught 11. I also got another 35 new sets done as well. While on my round about looking for spots to set I noticed a lot of muskrat house dug up all the way into the den by coyotes. I also found 2 spots where there was a tail from one that was eaten and another house where one was caught and eaten. There must have been at least a dozen spots where they dug the huts up. It must be productive enought todo it I guess but I thought those crazy coyotes sure have a lot of patience waiting for a rat to come out of his hut!! lol
Old 01-17-2014, 06:27 PM

Default coyotes are smart

They are certainly expert survivors! I've heard it said that the last 2 creatures on earth will be cockroaches and coyotes.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:49 PM
Banned

Pretty cool predators! They're in their glory now that they can run on top of the snow. A week ago you couldn't find a yote track in the field but there were tracks all over the roads around here. They'll be getting into all kinds of mischief now....lol!
Old 01-18-2014, 11:22 PM

Yappers should be in pre-rut soon and start traveling more.

The old saying is "smart as a fox". I vote for the coyote instead.

The coyotes are so smart and adapted that they even came and pulled 2 - 15 foot rows of carrots in my garden in one night. They ate the carrots right there and left the tops beside the rows. Pretty bad when you have to start setting number 3s around the carrots.
Old 01-18-2014, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
I got out yesterday and got 20 rat traps out. I checked them today and caught 11. I also got another 35 new sets done as well. While on my round about looking for spots to set I noticed a lot of muskrat house dug up all the way into the den by coyotes. I also found 2 spots where there was a tail from one that was eaten and another house where one was caught and eaten. There must have been at least a dozen spots where they dug the huts up. It must be productive enought todo it I guess but I thought those crazy coyotes sure have a lot of patience waiting for a rat to come out of his hut!! lol
The worst part is the coyotes just destroyed some active houses for you. It might concentrate the rats in the rest of the huts. I once set a 110 conibear on the outside of a rathouse that was dug into like you explain, and I caught a really large mink. I thought I might get a exploring long tail weasel instead.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:46 AM

A friend of mine told me he'd heard of bears breaking beaver dams then sitting and waiting for the beaver to come and fix it. I was sceptical, maybe not so much anymore.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:48 PM

Default coyotes

Watched coyote do some crazy things when on 3 inches of clear ice with no snow and the coyote can see rats swimming against the ice under his feet but can`t get them. Chewing the ice, jumping high and pouncing with front feet, running around in front of the rat and laying flat to ambush, but no muskrat lunch.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
Watched coyote do some crazy things when on 3 inches of clear ice with no snow and the coyote can see rats swimming against the ice under his feet but can`t get them. Chewing the ice, jumping high and pouncing with front feet, running around in front of the rat and laying flat to ambush, but no muskrat lunch.
He never said every coyote was smart......
Old 01-24-2014, 02:05 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trigger7mm View Post
They are certainly expert survivors! I've heard it said that the last 2 creatures on earth will be cockroaches and coyotes.
and ex-wife's!