Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-14-2008, 05:50 PM

Default Reloading Varmint Bullets

With some free time coming up over the holidays I am planning on finally working up a couple loads for the 243, starting off with one for varmints. I have never reloaded for this purpose, so would like to hear from some of yous out there with experience.
First off, the gun, an A-Bolt with a 1:10 twist. With this rate of twist, is there a certain weight that I should be focusing on to start? It shot 95-100gn really well, but I would like to look at the bullets in the 55-62gn area if thats an option for coyote and wolf. Seems like these are going to moving pretty quick out, so is barrel life a concern with the 243 shooting these lighter bullets? Not that I will be putting a bunch through at once other than load testing, but still something I'm wondering about. When spring hits it may be a good toy for the long range gophers I'm thinking! Fouling; is there going to be more than usual fouling using these lighter bullets or not really that big of difference? I just would rather not have to worry about cleaning the barrel after a low count of rounds if it can be avoided.
I am leaning towards Nosler BT Varmint 55gn to start off and possibly Barnes Varmint Grenades 62gn, if the gun likes either then I'll tune from there. Any comments on field results with either of these 2 or other suggestions?
Well I guess thats kind of what I'm thinking about now, any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:59 PM

55gr. to 75gr. are the most desired bullet weights for varmints.

Do you want to save the pelts?
If yes, dont bother cause most of the varmint bullets are way too much for pelt quality. Buy a 204 or 22 CF if that's your goal.

I've seen pretty decent accuracy out of many 1 in 10 twist bbls, and the light bullets listed above.

Barrel life has very little to do with projectile velocity, and lots to do with caliber choice and shooter knowledge.

243's are a bit of a blow torch on throats regardless of bullet weight, so keep it cool, dont pound round after round through your rifle like "Washing Machinegun Charlie", keep it slow and mellow, 1 shot every 20 to 30 seconds for the first 3 then wait till things cool down and do it again.

Use a bore guide and a 1 piece cleaning rod,

and have fun.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-14-2008, 06:04 PM

X2 on Dicks' opinion on the 243 as a varmint rifle.
My griends who use one save it fore the long range stuff past 400 yards, and keep the shorter ranges for their .222's, 223's, 204's , etc.
We like to sell pur coyotes pelts and there is to much damage at the shorter ranges with tha 243.
However, if you are doing a control hunt for a farmer, the 243 will be fine.

They use Speer TNT's for most of their loads....
Cat
Old 12-14-2008, 06:18 PM

Thanks Dick and Cat, but kinda bad news about the pelts! I was hoping that the lighter varmint bullets would manage to stay inside without making any extra "ventilation". Might be better served by sticking to the heavier bullets and just accepting the exit hole then I suppose.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:29 PM

i also have a Browning A-Bolt Medallion in .243 Win. i actual use 80 gr bullets with a small expansion so all it does is punch a hole through both sides. I looked into Hornady 58 gr V-Max and then i heard they make a mess of a coyote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUM View Post
Thanks Dick and Cat, but kinda bad news about the pelts! I was hoping that the lighter varmint bullets would manage to stay inside without making any extra "ventilation". Might be better served by sticking to the heavier bullets and just accepting the exit hole then I suppose.
my brother shoots the 55gr ballistic tip out of his and he loves it does not do anymore damage than my 22-250 does and bullets never make it out otherside.

But i agree the 22 cals are better suited for keeping hides than the 243 cals
Old 12-15-2008, 08:39 AM

I loaded 68gr vmaxes first, they worked quite well, then went to 55gr nosler ballistic tips and with the starting load shot a half inch group at 100 yards. Haven't got to play with the load anymore, but was shooting anything I put the crosshairs on within 200yds.