Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-09-2014, 06:29 PM

Default Rem. Managed Recoil in .308

What is the skinny on using this round? I'm not into hand-loading and am thinking this might be a good way to cut down on recoil/noise a bit.

I'd like to get more use from my .308 at the range just to stay reasonably sharp -from 50-100-200 yards. Not much into varmint hunting so can't really justify a 223. This round should be good for coyotes out to 200 yds. and fur doesn't matter.

Haven't been able to locate any Managed Rec. in .308 in Calgary yet, although WS does have some calibers. Apparently it shoots within 2" of the heavier rounds.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:39 PM
Banned

If a. 308 is to much recoil get a 22 or become. A man lol
Old 01-09-2014, 09:50 PM

If the 308 is a little much, I'd say look at a quality pad for the gun too. It is a relatively light recoiling cartridge that shouldn't be beating you up. I'd say you have gun fitting issue.

The managed recoil rounds are an option. They are generally good out to about 200ish yards.

BPS carries them but I don't know about what they have in stock. All their stock is bloody dismal right now. If you can't find any, stick to 150 grain bullets and go from there. Or if you are in Calgary I could work with you and load some up for you. Just need the supplies, I'll take care of the rest. No charge of course. I do it as a hobby and love it.
Old 01-09-2014, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbolthunter7mm View Post
Just a little mean isn't it?
Old 01-09-2014, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Not at all funny.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Talk to me after you have a shoulder injury that dictates you take a whole danged year off shooting because you can't hold a .223 let alone shoot it, because I have been there, I still have trouble with more than a few shots with anything over a 150 grain 308
Unless , of course, you were only joking!
Cat
Old 01-09-2014, 10:23 PM

maybe use the cheap federal...blue box rounds,affordable and accurate out to 300 yards i think and are tuned down..... i might be wrong though
Old 01-09-2014, 10:31 PM
Banned

I flipped a picker and have a shoulder injury so yes I know what its like and still shot my bow at 70 lbs and 7mm rem mag and if 308s still to much I have a 9 year old cousin that can shoot for you
Old 01-09-2014, 10:43 PM

Well X-Bolt, if you find it cool to do some range work using your 7mm and see this as a fun thing - then have at it. If it makes you feel more manly, then go for it. If range work makes you feel less of a man anyway - regardless of what gun, then that is what it is.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:55 PM

Question Gun ergonomics

My 308 actually kicks harder than my 7mm rem mag. (Perceived recoil) My 7mm is actually lighter too. The limb saver recoil pad and a slightly better fit mean it treats my shoulder better than my 308. To the OP try a recoil pad first . The managed recoil may have a trajectory only 2" off of your normal hunting round at a given distance but may fly left or right or even left and right lol. If you do track down a box try them out but don't buy all 6 boxes hoping for the best. They may not group worth a dang...
I suggest recoil pad and shoot your normal hunting round if not too expensive so you become very in tune with that round in your gun.

Good luck
Old 01-09-2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I flipped a picker and have a shoulder injury so yes I know what its like and still shot my bow at 70 lbs and 7mm rem mag and if 308s still to much I have a 9 year old cousin that can shoot for you
Alright you're just being an ass about things ow.
You obviously didn't mess up your shoulder bad enough that you can keep shooting a bow and rifle.
Grow up and quit with the childish comments, they don't become you.
Cat
Old 01-09-2014, 11:20 PM

Quote:
THE COMMENT IS OK WITH ME

I come from competitive rimfire and short range benchrest and a 308 with 185 kicks a litle as I am used to a light hold,

in 40 years 9actually 50) of shooting I hear this a lot, probably a hundred times or more, said mostly as a joke but the 308 does not kick much compared to a lot of rounds being discussed now a days,

light up even you CAt you must have been around enough to know he is joking and serious at the same time, he was not making fun of a broken shoulder just commenting and trying to have a litle humour on this site, no wonder it lacks a litle some nights

Cement Bench
Old 01-09-2014, 11:40 PM

Pdog15 - Since you already have the rifle, I suggest you look at improving the recoil pad and if it is still bothering too much, you might try using a heavier rear bag with the back side of the pistol grip resting against the front of the ears--that will absorb considerable recoil as it moves the bag back..without sacrificing much in terms of accuracy. Also, selecting bullets in the 150gr range may help a bit.
Old 01-10-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
light up even you CAt you must have been around enough to know he is joking and serious at the same time, he was not making fun of a broken shoulder just commenting and trying to have a litle humour on this site, no wonder it lacks a litle some nights

Cement Bench
I don't think it was meant in fun at all but more in a snide sense.
I talked to too many of his type that think they are the better man because they shoot a magnum and they are serious about it.
I find no humour in it at all especially when the OP was asking about a lighter recoil round.
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 01-10-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
If you think that is a true measure of a man... Hopefully you have many years to mature. Sounds like you are close in age to your cousin.

A friend was like that in high school, had to have the biggest gun. I don't think we were overly mature, but we used to make fun of him even then. We also used to handily out shoot him. Trying so hard to show he was tough that he flinched em all over the place.

Tough enough to pull a trigger. Whoo!

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 01-10-2014, 07:51 AM

I would suggest getting a Lee Loader. If reloading is not your thing, about $35 will buy a handy pocket size kit that works great for doing up a few rounds of ammo. You can get some more dippers as well, change up the powder and bullet to get some nice starting loads. Actually it's usually a little below, especially if you switch to a bulkier powder.

Will pay for itself after a few boxes.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:45 AM

The problem with buying factory ammo of any ilk is the on again off again nature of a lot of the less than " regular" ammo out there. Unless the OP is willing to buy his ammo by the case he's likely going to be empty handed and frustrated sooner as opposed to later.

As to the man up inferences, I'm not commenting, other than to say to the OP, have you ever had the rifle properly fitted to you?

There are no absolutes
Old 01-10-2014, 09:00 AM
Banned

@ pdog15: I can certainly see with the current shortages of factory ammo in some stores that it would be even more difficult to obtain the managed recoil rounds that you seek. Perhaps a small investment in a starter reloading kit even for a single caliber seems logical. You would soon recover the cost and be able to roll your own anytime you choose. I load both managed and reduced rounds for a couple of my guns. And it has nothing to do with manning or cowboying up.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Not all shoulder injuries are equal.

The point is... you sorta jumped on a guy not knowing what is going on.
Could be an injury.
Could be bad technique or fit.
Could be a 90 year old in a wheelchair or a new shooter.

I'm not recoil shy either... never used a recoil pad on anything including my 375 H&H...and I've had 5 seperations between the two shoulders etc etc etc.

Thats me... you are you and neither of us know the other chaps story.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:04 PM

Federal fusion lite, try a box... It's a good 30% softer then regular .308 fodder and should only run about $30 a box... Uses a 30-30 bullet and reduced load... It's stout enough to cycle my M14 yet doesn't beat you up shooting in awkward positions.

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not
Old 01-10-2014, 10:28 PM

I'd say start with the fit, maybe its a bit long for you or something. Pads are relatively easy to get, or depending on your shooting goals a heavier tactical stock might fit the bill. I have the Choate Tactical on my Savage and even though the recoil isn't much (it's a 243, for now anyway) the stock made it much more comfortable to shoot and it stays in place better when firing.

What gun are you using?
Old 01-10-2014, 10:40 PM

Not all rifles recoil the same either, I have a 98 mauser in 3006 that is brutal to shoot way more than my buddies 300 win mag. No joke. A good solution for the OP is to buy a .223 and shoot some bulk ammo for the price as the managed recoil loads can be expensive for practice. The initial price of a new rifle would pay off with the reduced ammo cost. As per xbolthunterdude7mm don't pick on him....he does drive truck for a living.
Old 01-10-2014, 10:58 PM

I sighted a 7-08 axis in with rem managed recoil ammo this past fall. They shot terrible, about 4" at a 100. Switched to some 140 gr hornadys and tightened up to an inch.
Old 01-11-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog15 View Post
What is the skinny on using this round? I'm not into hand-loading and am thinking this might be a good way to cut down on recoil/noise a bit.

I'd like to get more use from my .308 at the range just to stay reasonably sharp -from 50-100-200 yards. Not much into varmint hunting so can't really justify a 223. This round should be good for coyotes out to 200 yds. and fur doesn't matter.

Haven't been able to locate any Managed Rec. in .308 in Calgary yet, although WS does have some calibers. Apparently it shoots within 2" of the heavier rounds.
I think that the managed recoil load would be very good for your intended purpose. A wise move on your part
Old 01-11-2014, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog15 View Post
If WSS ever gets their Remington and Federal product, they will have the managed recoil loads. As one suggested you might try reloading. There are a few on this forum that have experience with managed recoil loading. Do not discount supplementing your center fire shooting with using a .22 at closer range. All trigger time is good.

It is too bad that one of the first replies was the man up one I guess that is what AO has become! It is what it is
Old 01-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
If WSS ever gets their Remington and Federal product, they will have the managed recoil loads. As one suggested you might try reloading. There are a few on this forum that have experience with managed recoil loading. Do not discount supplementing your center fire shooting with using a .22 at closer range. All trigger time is good.

It is too bad that one of the first replies was the man up one I guess that is what AO has become! It is what it is
Good post covey. Believe it or not, shooting long range with a 6BR, the world record holder at 600 yards can be duplicated for practise with a. 22LR at 200 yards considering wind conditions. But, back on track, not only the so called "managed" loads but also the "reduced" loads that I manufacture for my guns, hold well below MOA! all day long because the barrel stays cool, all day long.

With my big hammer 444, I load 10GR of Unique and vapourize gophers.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:51 PM

I appreciate all the comments and suggestions - certainly provides a tick list to go through. The .308 is a Savage 11G (wood) - seems to fit well enough and stock should be o.k. for the amount I use it. The pad is what came with the gun and no doubt, it would likely be a benefit to change this out. Thanks for the offers to re-load for me but for the time being, I'll use up some Win. 150 gr and keep looking for some managed recoil. Most of my range work is done with a Sav. MK2 and am not looking at going competitive long range with .308so quantity/.5 groupings aren't really factors.