Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

View Poll Results: If you a farmer who hunts?
I hunt on the land I farm 22 29.33%
I hunt on the land I farm, and also let others hunters hunt as well 42 56.00%
I don't hunt, but let others hunt on my land 4 5.33%
I don't hunt, and don't let others hunt on my land 7 9.33%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2014, 12:43 AM

Default How many farmers are hunting?

Out of pure curiosity I wanted to take a poll to see how many farmers on this forum are hunting? I myself was taught by my grandfather who has farmed cattle and crops his entire life, the basics of hunting growing up as a kid. He has taken some dandy animals in his time, including this double drop tine whitetail.
Image 6.jpg
Although he doesn't do it anymore as he is far too concerned with his cattle and other obligations he was once indeed a farmer who hunted for his meats at a point in his life. I don't know if I am wrong in this but in recent threads it seems most gentlemen on this forum who claim to be farmers seem to be letting others hunt on their land to clear out the animals doing damage to their crops. Just curious to see if any of you farmers out there are the ones who are letting others hunt out your land or enjoy taking game yourself? Cheers

***I apologize I wanted the poll question to be "Are you a farmer who hunts"?...couldn't edit***

Last edited by CountryLife94; 01-04-2014 at 01:01 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:41 AM

Default farmers hunting

The answer is not many, most hunters are townies and city folk who want to come out here and run around with their guns. I don't know any ranchers nearby who hunt.

Also when I have asked the hunters who get permission from the landowners, do you do anything in return, (case of beer, drop off a pie, help with haying etc.). I have received some strange looks like I am nuts.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:21 AM

I used to let people hunt but in resent years I have stopped. It started off with giving permission to one fellow then he thought he can have everyone of his friends out hunting, also I asked for no shooting does due to last few harsh winters and one guy comes pulling into the yard with a doe in the box. So family only know!!!
Old 01-04-2014, 10:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukrainankiller View Post
I used to let people hunt but in resent years I have stopped. It started off with giving permission to one fellow then he thought he can have everyone of his friends out hunting, also I asked for no shooting does due to last few harsh winters and one guy comes pulling into the yard with a doe in the box. So family only know!!!
Do you ever seek permission on other's land?
Old 01-04-2014, 11:10 AM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

I do not hunt...anymore. It has been over 20 years. I do, however, give permission to hunt because I have a belief that hunting is a proper use of the land.

My personal viewpoint about owning land is not mainstream I admit. The saying "We do not own the land, we are borrowing it from our grandchildren" pretty much sums up my belief about land ownership.

That and "Two men arguing about who owns the land is like two fleas arguing about who owns the dog! We do not own the land, the land owns us!"

I believe that our purchasing the land allows us certain rights but also obligates us with certain responsibilities. One of those responsibilities is to make sure the land is used in responsible and sustainable ways so as to leave it in good shape for the next generation.

Hunting, amongst other uses, IS a responsible and sustainable use of the land. Therefore I believe that, everything else being equal, I have some degree of obligation to allow hunting on the land.

Having said all that, my personal opinion and bias does come into play at times. It will be a cold day in H...E...double hockey sticks before any Outfitter or Guide gets permission to hunt our land.
Regards.
Dave.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missingtwo View Post
Do you ever seek permission on other's land?
No I own three full sections
Old 01-04-2014, 12:22 PM

The farmers and ranchers I hunt with all ask permission from their neighbours , some every time I come out to hunt with them!

Cat
Old 01-04-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukrainankiller View Post
Yeah that's unfortunate they abused your permission..cousin of mine had the same problem this season. He hunts on his family's land and a couple friends of the landowner took 10 does out of the heard when they told the landowner they were each looking for a buck. So needless to say they won't have permission anymore. Good on ya for holding firm on your guidlines
Old 01-04-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryLife94 View Post
Yeah that's unfortunate they abused your permission..cousin of mine had the same problem this season. He hunts on his family's land and a couple friends of the landowner took 10 does out of the heard when they told the landowner they were each looking for a buck. So needless to say they won't have permission anymore. Good on ya for holding firm on your guidlines
Yeah I was pretty chocked. I was all for permission but not anymore. I am all for shooting does if the resource is their but it just ain't due to the winters we've had. And yes I understand it sucks for the guys who don't own land and actually care for the land and resources also. But you know the saying. All it takes is a few bad apples.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:10 PM

Sorry to hear about your cuz situation too. Glad their being firm too!!! I don't know if these people think were idiots but were not. Majority of my fellow farmers in are area actually know their wildlife pretty good and care for them as well.Almost to the point that the care just about as much as the wildlife as they do their crops or cattle.