Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-28-2013, 06:46 PM

Default Winches

Hi Guys and Gals ,I wonder if anyone could tell me what is a good winch to buy for my four wheeler.IM getting to the age where pushing is not a option anymore.I ve went through about 3 already and I don't even get stuck to much but can't seem to buy one that will last a little bit.Any information will help an old fellow out an keep the old girl from worrying to death .Thanks
Old 12-28-2013, 06:52 PM

I do vehicle recovery onto my trailer.
I ran the costco crap for a few years. That winch might have been good for a couple of pulls a year. Several hundred.....not so much.

I now use a warn 8000. I don't recall the model # but the difference is obvious.
I loaded about 50 vehicles this spring/summer and never a problem.if you use the search feature there are some threads. Search my name and "winches"

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 12-28-2013, 06:56 PM

4wheeler like a quad or 4 wheel as in a jeep or other highway vehicle. None the less I'd vote warn, although my Polaris brand winch seems to be doing good, not sure who actually makes it, but it looks like a warn with a Polaris sticker on it
Old 12-28-2013, 07:15 PM

Have a warn on my Kubota, my Arctic Cat, and my Suzuki. Works great. Have to say something about the Champion from Costco. They are great for the price. I had one of the 2500 lbs jobbies attached to my old Yamaha. That thing never failed. It still works today and it's been 8 years.
Old 12-28-2013, 07:22 PM

I vote warn as well. I have a 4500lb one on my JD Gator. Really like it.

Dan
Old 12-28-2013, 09:02 PM

I have ran warn in the past with no issues. The last winch I went with a Superwinch Terra series, the reviews were good and they are around half the price of some warn winches that are comparable. It has worked with no issues so far. Princess auto has them on sale once in awhile.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:03 AM

Default witches

thanks for all your help lots of good info
Old 12-29-2013, 11:31 AM
Banned

My winch is pretty much useless when it comes to getting unstuck outta mudholes,but sometimes she'll drive me home from the pub if I have too many,and she's making me breakfast right now as I type.
Good winches are hard to find.
Old 12-29-2013, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby View Post
Hi Guys and Gals ,I wonder if anyone could tell me what is a good winch to buy for my four wheeler.IM getting to the age where pushing is not a option anymore.I ve went through about 3 already and I don't even get stuck to much but can't seem to buy one that will last a little bit.Any information will help an old fellow out an keep the old girl from worrying to death .Thanks
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260643785296...9#ht_5039wt_89This is what I have on mine.Excellent winch at a very good price,Dealer is in Canada.Comes complete with everything you need in the box.We have 3 in the family ,no issues with any of them.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:45 PM

Costco online