Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 01-01-2014, 11:03 AM

Question Snowshoes and coyotes.

I normally hike in to a spot and call coyotes but with all the snow we have this year it's near to impossible so I am looking at getting some snowshoes to make it a bit easier, as a newbie in snowshoeing I need some advice on what to get. I won't be walking any trails so I am assuming the longer the better? With all my gear I will weigh about 250 lbs. and I am hoping to stay under $150. A couple I have found in my price range are the trail paw and the GVC, has anyone had any experience with either of these? Thanks in advance and happy new year!
Old 01-01-2014, 11:38 AM

I bought the largest modern tech snowshoes I could find ~36"
I still sink almost to my knees, using them.
All this snow is pretty powdery, and therefore damn tough to get around in even in snowshoes.

I weigh a but more than you mind you.

Good luck.

There are no absolutes
Old 01-01-2014, 11:41 AM

If you have never used snow shoes before you are in for a surprise

They are a good away to get around but the snow conditions need to be right or it can be down right gruelling.

LC
Old 01-01-2014, 11:46 AM

sorry, you won't get a good pair for under 150$

deep snow/powder.

12 by 60 alaskan or the 12 by 60 ojibwa.

http://iversonssnowshoes.com/index.p...iewCat&catId=3
Old 01-01-2014, 11:54 AM

I have the trail paw in 30" and my total weight with gear would be in the 250 range. I find the 30" to be borderline for my weight and at times wish I had the 36". Conditions right now you are in for a work out even with the 36". I put in a couple of trails for walking the dogs and in spots on the first pass I was up to my knees.
I do not have any complaints on quality or failures with trail paw and would buy them again. I did have one pop rivet for the boot strap pull out this year but it a temporary fix in the field was easy and the permanent when I returned home with a small bolt and oversized washers will last a long time.
Check Canadian Tire as sometimes they have them on sale.
Old 01-01-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
I bought the largest modern tech snowshoes I could find ~36"
I still sink almost to my knees, using them.
All this snow is pretty powdery, and therefore damn tough to get around in even in snowshoes.

I weigh a but more than you mind you.

Good luck.
Even with snowshoes, you're gonna make a hole, I've found. I've manged around here, where there are 16 to 18 in, but gets to be a chore when deeper. I've got the Cdn. Army type, which one would assume is maximized for efficiency, paid 15. at a used store, so I get a kick out of the 300. MEC version that has about a third of the surface area.

Grizz
Old 01-01-2014, 01:01 PM

I have "Traditional wood and skins" modified bear paws 10" x 36", but replaced the leather bindings with GVC ratchet and crampon bindings. Purchased at CT. total was around $150 -shoes +bindings. Replacement bindings have enclosed toes which I find a big improvement over open toes! GF's GVCs have open toes and wants closed toe now!!
I use a Black Diamond collapsible walking pole with a snow pad screwed on the tip. The pole is a definite snowshoeing multiplier!!!! If you do not require it at some point in your walk, simply collapse it at attach to your pack.
Dress very light to the point of being cold when starting off on your way to a stand. Carry your warm stuff in your pack until you get there. walk slow an take short breaks as to not develop a sweat layer!! Gortex and all the wicking layers etc will not keep up with the sweating you will produce snowshoeing unless you do it properly.
Good hunting! Stay safe!
Old 01-01-2014, 02:39 PM

Probably not much chance of calling in a dog with all the snow around anyway....just to save you a trip. They don't seem to be moving around here in the 5' of snow we have.
Old 01-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Banned

I use cross country skis.

My rifle is carried like a backpack with one of those tactical gun webbing setups.

Poor mans biathlon. Camo is Swiss army surplus, and Canadian Army surplus.

You will find that the trails you make with cross country skis will be used by coyotes because it is easier on the feet for them.

Snowmobile trails are also helpful. Coyotes like them, but know what a snowmobile person can do to them.
Old 01-01-2014, 04:21 PM
Banned

I did a lot of snowshoeing in the Army with those big Military magnesium ones and you are going to sink in this powder snow breaking trail no matter what type of shoes you use. The next day your trail will hold you up better. The Military ones are a bit noisy for me.

I got a pair of these for Christmas in 10" x 36". They seem to be very good quality and the price is pretty good in comparison to other shoes. I weigh a little over 200 lbs so they are the right size for me. I try them out tomorrow.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/tu...l#.UsSgAfSJGSo

Liked the quality better than these:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ca...l#.UsSidfSJGSo

Although I haven't seen them, another pair that you might want to have a look at are these.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/wo...l#.UsSgv_SJGSo
Old 01-01-2014, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greylynx View Post
I use cross country skis.

My rifle is carried like a backpack with one of those tactical gun webbing setups.

Poor mans biathlon. Camo is Swiss army surplus, and Canadian Army surplus.

You will find that the trails you make with cross country skis will be used by coyotes because it is easier on the feet for them.

Snowmobile trails are also helpful. Coyotes like them, but know what a snowmobile person can do to them.
Very cool. I briefly considered skis but wasn't sure if they would perform as well as snow shoes in the deep stuff. How do you find breaking trails in powder?
Old 01-01-2014, 08:12 PM

I went out 3 days this past week, and my snowshoe are working awesome. I weigh 200 lbs, they are 9x30. I sink about 10 inchs, but to me it makes for an easy hike, without it in some places the snow is to the waist. Today a friend of mine came with me, he's 4 inchs taller, but he doesn't have snowshoe, as we were walking side by side, his head was bellow my shoulders.

You gotta get close to where they live, they don't like to travel too much in deep snow. Called in 2 coyotes, killed 1 and called in fox.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:17 PM

I have gone around to a few of my favorite calling spots with my sled just to make a few tracks for myself and the coyotes to walk on.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:39 PM

I bought a very nice expensive set of snowshoes for cheap at wholesale sports last winter. They have big sales on them from time to time but dont advertise too much.

I also bought the tail extensions and they keep my frame good and high in the snow. Looking forward to shed hunting this year.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If you have never used snow shoes before you are in for a surprise

They are a good away to get around but the snow conditions need to be right or it can be down right gruelling.

LC
very true.

But when conditions are right, its fun to walk across barbed wire fences in the fields that are drifted in lol
Old 01-02-2014, 11:26 AM

Thanks to everyone for the advice and info! I think I will wait and see if one of the better shoes come on sale, I can't bring myself to spend that much $ on them.

If not I may go with Tubbs, Trail paw, Atlas or Workman's Snowshoes, so if anyone can give a review on either of these that would be greatly appreciated.

HunterDave, can you let me know how you like yours?

Alberta Bigbore, where those the MSR and if you don't mind me asking what did you pay for them?
Old 01-02-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhd View Post
Thanks to everyone for the advice and info! I think I will wait and see if one of the better shoes come on sale, I can't bring myself to spend that much $ on them.

If not I may go with Tubbs, Trail paw, Atlas or Workman's Snowshoes, so if anyone can give a review on either of these that would be greatly appreciated.

Alberta Bigbore, where those the MSR and if you don't mind me asking what did you pay for them?
I dont remember.. but wss had them on sale with out advertising.. got a bag for the snowshoes.. the shoes and extended tails all for about half off
Old 01-02-2014, 11:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
Very cool. I briefly considered skis but wasn't sure if they would perform as well as snow shoes in the deep stuff. How do you find breaking trails in powder?
With the rain we have had I have been skiing on ice covered snow along the tree line. There are places where you break through.

My trails are made so I have a nice view from my calling sites.

I also use surplus magnesium snoe shoes in the bush.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
I dont remember.. but wss had them on sale with out advertising.. got a bag for the snowshoes.. the shoes and extended tails all for about half off
Ok thanks, I will keep my eyes open.
Old 01-02-2014, 12:44 PM

Yesterday. The bottom black stripe on the ski pole is about exactly 2 ft' from the tip. Cdn. army shoes and about 225 lbs, was heavily dressed and Packin.

Grizz
Old 01-02-2014, 03:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhd View Post
I didn't get out today because I was busy watching the World Juniors but I'll let you know whenever I get out there.

The CV shoes that you mentioned are going on sale at Can Tire tomorrow as well as some of the other types that they carry that I may have mentioned in my first post. It may be worth a look. I know that I'll be looking because I'll want some money back if the ones that I bought are cheaper....lol!