Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2013, 08:43 PM

Default Government Transparency/Accountability

Is this just a pipe dream or could todays technology not provide a much better democracy. A live and engaging system. Every penny spent for public viewing and scrutiny. Vote from my tablet, smartphone, smartwatch etc etc. I think its time people demand a better system of representation.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deo101 View Post
Is this just a pipe dream or could todays technology not provide a much better democracy. A live and engaging system. Every penny spent for public viewing and scrutiny. Vote from my tablet, smartphone, smartwatch etc etc. I think its time people demand a better system of representation.
Perpetual referendum go against corporate destiny.
Old 12-18-2013, 08:51 PM
Banned

Cool

Leadership is abt making unpopular decisions. A good leader would lose a popularity contest.
So now we have popular leaders, an oxymoron.!!
Old 12-18-2013, 08:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
That would be nice.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:00 PM
Banned

They all promise more accountability and no one delivers.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:07 PM

We need to lead ourselves. We have instant information and can think for ourselves. Its not like a 200 yrs ago when you had to send your vote/opinion via a "representative" on horseback to Ottawa. Our power is so watered down you can't even get us to vote. Maybe I wouldn't like the real majority world but its worth a shot. I have some faith in humanity.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:15 PM

Default I think we'd be surprised

If all of the governments policies, tax and spending data were able to be accessed by the public.... Many efficiencies would be found.

Data mining is the next god rush kiddies.

Read the book Citizenville .... Interesting stuff.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 12-18-2013, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
If all of the governments policies, tax and spending data were able to be accessed by the public.... Many efficiencies would be found.

Data mining is the next god rush kiddies.

Read the book Citizenville .... Interesting stuff.
I'd got out on a limb and say absolute deficiencies would also be found. Along with all kinds of fraud etc. You're right about data mining. There is a lot of code to be written.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'd got out on a limb and say absolute deficiencies would also be found. Along with all kinds of fraud etc. You're right about data mining. There is a lot of code to be written.
The press already mines things.

A lot of stuff is buried as a counter measure to data mining.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali#1 View Post
The press already mines things.

A lot of stuff is buried as a counter measure to data mining.
From what I see the press is mostly bought and paid for as much as the politicians.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
From what I see the press is mostly bought and paid for as much as the politicians.
Not totally, but your not wrong either.

It's called media bias. You think the CBC is gonna tell on the left ? No more than sun news will tell on Harper.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
They all promise more accountability and no one delivers.
Sure they do....
They just get it bass ackwards by making us more accountable to them and their corporate masters instead of the other way around.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Not totally, but your not wrong either.

It's called media bias. You he CBC is gonna tell on the left ? No more than sun news will tell on Harper.
True but the content from both sides can be very distracting. Just like the issues politics can't get past.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:07 PM
Banned

sadly;

Andrea Janus, CTVNews.ca
Published Thursday, October 17, 2013 11:10AM EDT
Last Updated Thursday, October 17, 2013 6:17PM EDT

Canada’s Information Commissioner says the integrity of the access-to-information system is deteriorating, and warns that without immediate substantive repairs, “the health of our Canadian democracy is at risk.”

In her annual report to Parliament, tabled Thursday, Suzanne Legault says federal institutions are taking too long to respond to information requests, and in some cases are not responding at all, which is a violation of the Access to Information Act.

Legault put responsibility for the problems squarely on Treasury Board President Tony Clement, saying it is he and his department “that should be accountable for the performance of the access to information system.”

Related Stories

MP expenses 'should be covered' by access to information laws: Legault

Legault said in her near seven years with the department, she has not seen erosion in the system as great as what has occurred in the last year.

“The faltering in the system is actually quite dramatic and it’s not getting better,” Legault told reporters at a news conference on Parliament Hill.

“That is what my concern is, that is what I said to the minister, and I said to the minister that I would hold him accountable publicly.”

Clement defended the government’s “very, very good” record on access to information when asked by reporters about Legault’s comments.

He said government departments received a record 54,000 requests last year, totalling six million pages of information.

"We take the law seriously, and of course we'll always look for ways to do better,” Clement said.

Legault said there are many occasions when federal departments are not following the requirement under the Act to respond to a request within 30 days or indicate whether they plan to seek an extension to deal with the request.

In other cases, she said, it takes as long as six months to acknowledge a request, or as long as three years.

Yet other cases included departments missing deadlines they had negotiated with her office for handing over information on requests that were long overdue. Other institutions denied requests without having first reviewed the documents in question.

In addition to poor leadership from the government, Legault blamed the problems with the system on budget cuts that have left institutions too under-staffed to deal with requests in a timely manner.

Legault said the problems have led to a spike in complaints to her office. Complaints were up by nine per cent in 2012-2013 and were up 50 per cent in the first quarter of this fiscal year.

Legault’s recommendations include:
• greater accountability for the system by the federal government;
• increased funding for staff to handle access-to-information requests;
• an overhaul of the Access to Information Act itself, including extending its mandate to cover parliamentarians.

On Thursday, Legault also said the Treasury Board could have a kind of “SWAT team” that could assist departments when they are swamped by a high volume of requests.

Clement told reporters that he has asked his deputy minister to look into that particular recommendation.

“If there are some staffing issues that we can deal with, we can deal with those,” he said.

NDP ethics critic Charlie Angus noted Thursday that Legault’s report is “some of the strongest language we’ve ever seen from a parliamentary officer.”

Earlier this month, Legault told CTV’s Question Period that parliamentarians’ expenses “should be covered” by the legislation, so Canadians can see exactly what lawmakers are spending their tax dollars on.

"I think there should be protection for parliamentary privilege, and I think that can be provided for with appropriate exemptions under the Act," Legault told Question Period. "But yes, definitely, I think the public has the right to know how their dollars are being spent by our parliamentarians."

Currently, the annual House of Commons Members’ Expenditure Report breaks down expenses in six categories, but only the total amount is listed. The report does not include information about exactly where that money went.

On Thursday, Legault said she was disappointed that government’s Speech from the Throne was “silent on matters of transparency and accountability.”

She said she is preparing to table recommendations to upgrade the Act, which will include a recommendation that the law be changed to include parliamentarians.

Read more: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/problem...#ixzz2ntTN55aR
Old 12-18-2013, 10:24 PM

Automation automation automation. If it happens it should be public record immediately. A document is signed, or a chq written it's recorded and available. By available I mean accesable on my smart phone. It's so clear now days that it's all stall tactics.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:35 PM

Interesting topic for sure, I've often thought about what technology... The internet for example has done for democracy. I know someone who's vote was swayed by a bs topic on Facebook. Fictional or not.... Scary.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Automation automation automation. If it happens it should be public record immediately. A document is signed, or a chq written it's recorded and available. By available I mean accesable on my smart phone. It's so clear now days that it's all stall tactics.
The article above has the argument that there is 6 million pages,, it's already digitised and you would think the powers at be are ignorant of digital media, "the internet, wha...?

Instant democracy can't function with control freaks at the helm.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gust View Post
The article the argument that there is 6 million pages,, it's already diges itised and you would think the powers at be are ignorant of digital media, "the internet, wha...?

Instant democracy can't function with control freaks at the helm.
Gonna come down to us demanding transparency I suppose. I think people are just starting to wake up. I hope.
Old 12-19-2013, 09:39 AM

Happy reading

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tabl...tm?hili_govt49

http://alberta.ca/travelandexpensedisclosure.cfm
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.