Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2013, 04:54 PM

Default Leaking roof, advice needed

With all the awesome construction experience on this site, I thought I'd ask for help and advice...

I have a low slope roof, split level house, and the roof over the kitchen slants south (worst possible senario I've heard). Plus the previous owners pushed out the kitchen walls, so over the kitchen there are no soffits for cold air entry. The rest of the level has soffits in good working order. I had a couple of "twirly birds" installed and a couple of "air intake vents" installed low over the kitchen, plus I've been pulling the snow off the roof over the kitchen with a roof rake.

It still leaks. Ice forms on the roof under the boards on the attic, and when it gets warm like the last few days, the ice melts, drips down onto the insulation over the kitchen, and leaks through the drywall onto the kitchen floor. Its driving me nuts. I had the kitchen drywall replaced a year ago on the ceiling and new insulation and vapor barrier put into the area over the kitchen. I know warm air leaks from the house can cause this, but with the new insulation there are no obvious leaks and no obvious places warm air from the kitchen can get in.

Any ideas? A power vent? I don't want to shell out 40 grand for a new roof rebuild over the area and hope I can fix it this summer for next winter.
Old 12-18-2013, 05:46 PM

67Elmo,
Without pics it is difficult to dignose but sounds to me like ice damming.
Look it up on the www and you will find if I am correct that your previous repairs will correct the symptoms short term but not the problem.
If I can help further send a PM.
Baz
Old 12-18-2013, 05:49 PM

so is the leaking cause by the ice dam ?? or are you asking where could the leaks be coming from ??

edit is there a gap or opening between the roof and the wall ??
Old 12-18-2013, 06:06 PM

Thanks guys, but it is NOT ice damming. The roof over the kitchen is clear of snow and ice by my using the "roof rake" every time it snows. All melted snow is free to run down into the eves and down the trough.

Its water vapor that condenses out of the air into ice in the attic on the underside of the roof inside my attic. When it gets warm, the ice melts, the water drops down into the insulation, and eventually through the drywall onto the kitchen floor.

Its much like putting ice into a glass bowl and putting it on the table. In a few minutes there is moisture and water under the bowl right on the table surface. Same thing in a way happens on the underside of the roof in my attic. Ice forms out of moisture in the air. Then it melts, and drips into the kitchen when its around freezing.

I thought of putting in a gable with slats to allow the cold outside air in over the kitchen, or putting in some kind of power fan arrangement to keep the air really moving in the attic. Any suggestions?
Old 12-18-2013, 06:20 PM

Default Leak

Check to see if there is a stove vent or plumbing vent that is putting moisture in to attic
Old 12-18-2013, 06:24 PM

Get a bucket.
Old 12-18-2013, 06:42 PM

I'm not an expert but when warm air meets cold air, this causes the frost / condensation to occur. I would suspect that the roof attic area isn't up to code. Something is missing with the build and it shouldn't sweat up there as bad as it does,,, attics need to breath. more whirlybirds, maybe holes in the vapour barrier, or ceiling fixtures (like lights or fan vents) that lets warm air up into the attic. Maybe more insulation up there is needed too. Not sure if these have been ruled out or considered?
Old 12-18-2013, 07:30 PM

I've also heard that some people have insulated-in the air intake (soffits) and plugged them up with insulation,,, just another thing to check and make sure is clear of debris.
Old 12-18-2013, 11:56 PM

Its hard to tell without seeing it, but from what you are describing there are a few things to keep in mind. as was mentioned make sure there are no stove vents or bathroom fans vented into the attic space. As a contractor that does a lot of renovation work, I see a lot of attics that are not properly vented. all of your bathroom and range hood air from the fans has to go to the exterior of the house, not to the attic. Also your attic is a cold space. any warm air entering the attic will cause condensation/frost on the underside of the sheeting. Insulation will not stop the problem completely unless there is also properly installed vapor barrier. To sum up, no warm air from the living space should be getting into the attic, and plenty of outside air should be in the attic. Properly sealed vapor barrier on the warm side of the insulation is extremely important. Any questions feel free to pm
Old 12-19-2013, 02:08 AM

Solar Pool Heater Tubes on the Roof, a Tank with Electric Heaters and and Big Pumps keeping Snow and Ice off. I don't know if it would work but it sounds decent in my drunk Brain.. if not all I know of is Tar and keeping as much snow/ice off the roof as you can.
Old 12-19-2013, 06:01 AM

You do not have enough ventilation in the attic. If possible install gable vents or simply add more roof vents (whirlybirds are a gimmick, get the ones that have a turbine internally). Do everything in your power to get the insulation dried out soon as possible!
Old 12-19-2013, 07:27 AM

My Dad installed electric fans in the roof vents on a house he had to increase air flow. He did it because the attic was getting to hot in the summer, but this might work for you to keep ice forming by increasing air flow. It does sound like you have a ventilation issue.