Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-27-2013, 09:46 AM

Default Question about hunting from a stand

I was out hunting last week and it was my first time hunting from a stand. I've shot my bow before from a stand and was fine when shooting at a target. I called in a nice 4*4 wt and had trouble drawing back my bow. I'm wondering if the cold and nerves got the best of me?
Old 10-27-2013, 10:18 AM

That's what it sounds like. I have yet to draw on a buck, but I imagine I will get the fever lol.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:48 AM

Nothing worse than getting cold. That being said easiest way around it is turning your bow down a bit. You may also find out you shoot better as you are more relaxed. my 2 cents.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakoman View Post
Nothing worse than getting cold. That being said easiest way around it is turning your bow down a bit. You may also find out you shoot better as you are more relaxed. my 2 cents.
I agree my bow is currently set at 60lbs. I know that while at the range I can shoot 70lbs no problem and have even test shot a 74lb Carbon knight. I feel 60lbs is more than enough weight for hunting and I appreciate the lower weight when I've been in my blind or stand all day.

On a side note I also picked a bow with a bigger brace height for hunting as cold, fatigue, buck fever and bulky clothes can all benefit from a little extra forgiveness in field conditions. At least that's what I've read so out of the two bows that I was torn between I went for the little slower one but picked up 3/4" in brace height.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-30-2013, 03:53 PM

Cold absolutely is a huge factor on drawing a bow...something i lerned 40 years ago in a stand...couldnt draw on what would be my biggest to date...got him a year later with broken antler and on the downhill side of antler growth...

came up with a test then...sit in a chair with your back straight...rise both your feet together 6 inches and draw your bow...if it indidcates any issue in drawing...I guareentee you will have the exact same when cold and sitting still...

So lower poundage until comfortable in the chair test ...

Neil
Old 10-30-2013, 03:59 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I will periodically take my bow and draw it back, no arrow nocked and not with the release just my fingers. Just to insure no issues arise when the calling comes...plus it kills some of the boredom
Old 10-30-2013, 04:51 PM

Im not an expert, only drawn on a handful of deer and moose so far, but have a lot of experience in traditional and compound archery.
The key for me is not to be the tough guy with the 70 lb bow.Set my compound to 58 lbs.
More than plenty for any north american game.the key is patience and shot placement.
Usually shoot 50 lbs on longbows and recurves.
Took a mule buck this year at 10 yrds with the compound.
And I always draw my bow a few times before I'm set up in the stand or blind.also helps to get any creaking sounds out of the cams from wax or string twist.
And its good during hunting season to shoot 10-50 shots a day.
That just works for me.everyones different
Old 10-30-2013, 05:06 PM

My thoughts are the same as the others, You got cold and your muscles were cold. I do the same as the rest also and shoot at a 58# draw weight.
Old 10-30-2013, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petesapie View Post
I was out hunting last week and it was my first time hunting from a stand. I've shot my bow before from a stand and was fine when shooting at a target. I called in a nice 4*4 wt and had trouble drawing back my bow. I'm wondering if the cold and nerves got the best of me?
I am not really buying the cold muscle theory, but I could be wrong. I have never experienced this and I have drawn a ton in cold weather....really cold. You should have had enough adrenaline to charge up your muscles.

Were you chivering or shaking at all

Were you perhaps trying to draw slower (and quieter) than usual and your form was different.

Does your bow,arrow, clothing or gear make sounds at all when you draw (and perhaps you were trying to be quieter)

What is your poundage set at

I aggree with most though in that 70 lbs is overkill for a deer, so backing off the pounding for November is certainly an option.

Check with your manufacturer as well for different modules on your cam that be less aggressive.