Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-27-2013, 08:41 PM

Default Tell me I did good.

So I'm on my last few days for moose season. I went out this morning not really expecting much but I figure Ill at least try and go out with a bang. Two hours into my hunt I get a bull and his cow cross up ahead of me and I put the stalk on. I traveled maybe about 300 yard into the brush and think I lost them when I look up a path to my left they are both just staring at me within 40 yards and giving me their broadside. Only thing is their vitals are covered by brush so I wait and wait for one of them to take a step out and give me a shot and the bull takes off and then the cow deep in the woods. Also realised I was standing right on the boundary line of the rifle range. If I wasn't trying to be quite there would have been a lot of swearing going on. Needless to say I didn't want to take the shot unless I had a clear one.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:50 PM

If you have no shot that offers a high percentage of a one shot kill....do not shoot....

That my friend is bow hunting....you have to know when to shoot and when to hold off and draw down.

In general you can't make something out of nothing with the bow.

LC
Old 10-27-2013, 09:53 PM

if it makes you feel any better i was 40yds from a 40inch bull 2 weeks ago. first year bowhunting and spotted the bull 100yds down the cutline while I was walking to my tree stand. stalked him for 30mins and got within 40yds but he was covered like yours probably was. 2 steps and he would have been in my cutline, but he turned and bolted for some reason. still questioning myself about how I went about that stalk....lol it was a huge rush though, straight adrenaline. It was hard to walk out of the bush after that . how she goes sometimes.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:24 PM

Default Keep on keeping on

Just be thankful that you are able to bow hunt and get to experience that kind of rush! Keep at it and one day the moose gods will be nice to you.
Old 10-27-2013, 10:42 PM

You did good
Old 10-27-2013, 10:54 PM

Yes yes you did-waay better than taking a doubtful shot and forever regretting it. even shotgun, rifle hunting I have gone without because I wasnt sure. good on you-Karma will pay off in future!
Old 10-27-2013, 11:30 PM

Absolutely made the right call.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:30 AM

Absolutely did the right thing. This is my second year hunting with a bow and I haven't even drawn back on an animal yet (either year) but twice have passed up low percentage shots at a moose, this year. First was at 38 yards but head on, obviously a no brainer to pass but as it was almost 30C that day and I hunt alone I'd have passed on any shot. I wasn't able to quickly field dress a moose by myself in those temps. Second time was the same moose (pretty sure) and I called him in to 61 yards, he was perfectly still and broadside but I've only practiced to 50 yards this year and feel comfortable only to 50 on moose size vitals and less than that on deer. I watched that moose for 10-15 minutes before he left. I didn't feel comfortable taking a shot unless I know that I can make a quick, clean kill. It was pretty cool watching him and disappointing seeing him stroll off at the same time.

There are others like you out there who definitely feel your pain. Don't worry you (and I) will get our moose and when we do it will be that much sweeter. In the mean time it just means we just get to hunt more and also hopefully get to see more game too.
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-28-2013, 09:16 AM

You did good...Ive called in moose to ten yards but the only shot was quartering too me ....I don't like that shot so I didn't take it....tough to do but one you gotta know when to make as a bow hunter.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:13 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Yep made a bad decision last year and wounded one, sickest feeling ever, hated myself, felt so bad for the animal, saw him a few days later limping, favoring the shoulder, simply horrible. This year called a bull in and played cat and mouse with him for 20 minutes or so, came to draw once, no shot let down, played it out and he presented me a broadside shot, he is in the freezer now. Trust me you did the right thing and you will get better at it and have a clean kill and great memories. Good luck.
Old 10-28-2013, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlynk View Post
So I'm on my last few days for moose season. I went out this morning not really expecting much but I figure Ill at least try and go out with a bang. Two hours into my hunt I get a bull and his cow cross up ahead of me and I put the stalk on. I traveled maybe about 300 yard into the brush and think I lost them when I look up a path to my left they are both just staring at me within 40 yards and giving me their broadside. Only thing is their vitals are covered by brush so I wait and wait for one of them to take a step out and give me a shot and the bull takes off and then the cow deep in the woods. Also realised I was standing right on the boundary line of the rifle range. If I wasn't trying to be quite there would have been a lot of swearing going on. Needless to say I didn't want to take the shot unless I had a clear one.
I'd say your hunt was successful. You just don't have meat in the freezer due to a bad case of ethics. Good for you.