Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-16-2008, 09:08 PM

Default decoy

has anyone ever tried to use decoys on big game? just wondering if they work or not.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:14 PM

Yes they do work.
I have managed to shoot a moose with my bow due to the help of a decoy.
I also started using deer decoys last year. I was shocked by the great sucsess with deer coming in with in several feet of me.
I have also purchased a antelope decoy for my next antelope hunt. I have seen numerous videos and heard of stories where pronghorn bucks will run the decoy right over.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner

Last edited by Rockymtnx; 10-17-2008 at 10:19 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 10:27 PM

Yup - decoys are the last piece of confirmation an animal needs to come right in.
Old 10-16-2008, 11:01 PM

A question for all you deer decoy people - buck or doe decoy?
Old 10-17-2008, 09:11 AM

Default Cow elk decoys

I just bought three cow elk decoys and tried them up in hinton without too much success - although it was too warm when we went out.

I want to try setting them up, up north during my November hunt.

Have you ever tried using them in late season (November) after the hunt
when the elk are starting to herd up?

I am a rifle hunter ... flame away ... so I want to try using them while rifle hunting, so I can be a bit away when I use them.

I have three so I was thinking of setting them up in a group ... what are your thoughts ... a group of three or space them 10 yds apart?

Thanks!

anorthern
Old 10-17-2008, 10:38 AM

I use a doe decoy for whitetails and pour some tink's 69 on it, Ive shot 3 good bucks that have come with in 5 yards of the decoy.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
A question for all you deer decoy people - buck or doe decoy?
Last year when I first tried it on deer, I used a doe decoy. This was in late November when the bucks were in stupid mode.
One particular buck came from a half mile away straight to the decoy. I was sitting on the ground beside a tree about 15 feet away. He actually came up to her and tried sniffing her. This particular decoy was a Renzo buck which I cut the antlers off.

This year I am using two Montana does and one Montana buck. Even though its early season the deer are curious and seem to come over for a look. So far I have either been using a single doe or a buck doe combo. Last weekend I had 6 does come right in check things out. Unfortunately my bow was cursed and caused an arrow to go over one and under one. Damn bow....! lol

I can hardly wait till the rut begins. I just wish I had starting using deer decoys a few years ago.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 10-17-2008, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anorthernhunter View Post
I have three so I was thinking of setting them up in a group ... what are your thoughts ... a group of three or space them 10 yds apart?
Thanks!
anorthern
I am not sure on elk. I would honestly just try one at a time.
When I do eventually use all three of my deer decoys (in a open field) I was thinking of putting two about 10 feet apart and then the third one another 30-40 yards away. But hey I am newbie to this decoying thing and just experimenting.

When I shot my moose a couple years ago I put my cow decoy about 25 feet behind me and slightly off to the side of me. The bull came in and was interested in her. He gave me a perfect 40 yard broadside shot as he stood there staring at her.

My set ups this year have been configured to the wind direction and my location. I usually know where the deer are coming from. I try my best not to get to get my sent blowing right through the decoys.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 10-17-2008, 06:25 PM

Default decoys

thanx guys lots of good input. think im going to give it a shot. any brands better than the other?
Old 10-17-2008, 07:59 PM

Rockymtnx, was there something you did not like about the Renzo decoy since you are using Montana decoys now?
Old 10-18-2008, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy 454 View Post
Rockymtnx, was there something you did not like about the Renzo decoy since you are using Montana decoys now?
The Renzo one works just fine. The only thing is the Renzo ones are made of plastic/cardboard. The legs are two wire stakes. The decoy folds several times and you left with something the size of a pizza box. The legs bend easy when trying to push them into hard ground.

The Montana ones are made of cloth. The Montana ones fold up to a nice and small. Since they fold up nice and small they fit into my backpack very easy. The legs are similar to tent pegs. They also fold up too.
So basically I like the Montana ones just for the ease of packing them around.

Set up time on both brands is both about 30-60 seconds.

If I get a chance tomorrow I will try and snap a few pictures to show you the differences.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 10-18-2008, 12:56 AM

Default Montana

i agree with the cloth and the legs being more solid. i know with goose decoys, when the ground starts freezing they can be real ignorant to get into the ground. thanx boyz good luck.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:03 PM

A bit of an update as I used a Montana WT doe decoy on my recent hunt. I was sitting on a cutline and put the deke out. On a couple of occasions I was quite impressed how the other deer reacted to it. I had both a doe and a small buck that were "on alert" but they both relaxed as soon as they saw the decoy. They both actually proceeded to go over to the decoy and feed briefly near it. Certainly made a believer out of me.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:41 PM

Very good information. I was just wondering are these montana cloth decoys 3 dimensional or just flat. thanks
Old 11-20-2008, 07:59 PM

Montana Decoys are flat (cloth over a spring steel frame). A doe decoy is going to attract both doe's and bucks. A buck decoy will bring in bucks but the doe's won't like it.

Old 11-20-2008, 08:09 PM

http://www.montanadecoy.com/
Old 11-20-2008, 09:35 PM

We used the Montana decoy elk in sept bow hunting and had six cows and a small bull come by and they never paid much attention to it , not sure if they did'nt see it or what but they were a little ansy about sticking around?