Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 10-11-2013, 10:38 AM

Default Free reloading workshop at Calgary Bass Pro, worth going?

I'd like to learn how to reload, .410, non lead for 12 gauge older shotguns and different loads for various game 30-06. It's free but I'd rather not waste the time if it's more of an infomercial than an actual workshop. Anyone ever attend a Bass Pro workshop? Do you actually learn anything? Insight would be appreciated.
Anyone know of a "real" workshop on starting reloading?

Regards,

dty
Old 10-11-2013, 10:51 AM

Any hands on or practicle demonstration from someone experienced in reloading is worth seeing if you are not familiar with the process... Alot of new reloaders have that AHHHH!! moment when they see the stages first hand...

It takes many many hours of hands on to become confident in using the tools,... And many years to become a munitions artisan... I'm a capable hand loader yet I'd still go watch the demo there if even to just observe someone else's technique or equipment and take away a small bit of info that I may find helpfull at my own bench.

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not
Old 10-11-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post
Any hands on or practicle demonstration from someone experienced in reloading is worth seeing if you are not familiar with the process... Alot of new reloaders have that AHHHH!! moment when they see the stages first hand...

It takes many many hours of hands on to become confident in using the tools,... And many years to become a munitions artisan... I'm a capable hand loader yet I'd still go watch the demo there if even to just observe someone else's technique or equipment and take away a small bit of info that I may find helpfull at my own bench.
x2, always good to see a hands on demonstration if you're not familiar with the process. Shot shell reloading is a lot more complex than metallics and you can ask questions. A trip to Bass Pro is never wasted. when is it ?

Grizz
Old 10-11-2013, 04:27 PM

Default buy the book

ABC of reloading read it then go

cement bench
Old 10-11-2013, 06:36 PM

It can't hurt when combined with the info you read from your reloading manual. It's nice to see the operations first hand.
Old 10-11-2013, 06:40 PM

Default +1

I'd go for sure, if only to be able to visualize what's involved.
Reading a loading manual before you go means you'll likely get more out of it.
Old 10-12-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cement Bench View Post
ABC of reloading read it then go

cement bench
I have a copy of this. I started reading it and alot of it was beyond what a new reloader needs to know.

Don't get me wrong I think a new loader has to read as much as they can but keep it more on the simple side. I'd recommend the Lee manual and what ever manual from the bullets you are going to load.

As far as the course goes it can't hurt. Seeing someone load hands on is very helpful. YouTube and a great mentor really got me off to a good start in loading.

Have fun but be warned it can be a very addictive hobby.
Old 10-20-2013, 08:21 PM

Well, that was dissapointing. I would call that more of a Q&A with an expert than a "workshop". No demonstration, there was only one press and it remained in the box. If the staff member who gave the workshop is a member of the forum, thank you however. I appreciate the time and answers to my questions.

dty
Old 10-20-2013, 08:37 PM

They had time to give a workshop when they're short staffed? I was in last Wednesday and took my number, but it was apparent I'd not be getting served before the store closed. I had my eye on a comparing a few sets of binoculars. There were 2 fellows who seemed to be having trouble getting served adequately and one of them expressed his frustration saying "This is bull $88t!" to which the staffer who seemed to look like a manager responded "Feel free to leave" or something very close to that effect. I could see that many who'd made the trip there would not be served by the 2 staff they had working that long gun & optics counter 2 short weeks before rifle season, and I left as that staffer left me with a bad impression by his poor attitude. Co-incidentally I found something up my alley the following day at another store that rhymes with Moleshale Borts.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:42 PM

Too bad they didn't do a decent seminar for you. I would expect that to occur in that store. Loading for shotshell will add considerable expense to your initial layout on tooling, press, shot and powder bushings, or a universal charge bar, different primers from rifle/pistol, wads, shot.
Different powders, different manuals for shotshell as well.
About the only thing in common is the scale, and a primer pocket brush,is req'd for both styles of reloading.