Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-17-2008, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cujo1969 View Post
I dont shoot 1st legal animal because enjoy the hunting not the shooting.
So you're saying people who enjoy venison are about the shooting?? Just because I don't go for antler size, I simply love to have my own meat, know where it came from and LOVE hunting it. just shooting has nothing to do with it. except where I make sure I have a good ethical, clean shot.

theres nothing wrong with VENISON HUNTING. not a canned shoot.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Banned

For me, I am glad that I can get more than one deer tag every year in this province. It would be a shame to have to quit hunting just because you decided to pull the trigger on one. I think there would be a whole lot less deer shot if that were the case.
Old 11-18-2008, 02:34 PM

being my first year hunting I wanted to make sure my shot counted, I did not shoot the first animal I saw BUT I did shoot the first one that gave me the "ideal" shot.
I have hunted now with a few different people, and hunted alone. Funny both deer I got were when I was hunting alone!! go figure.
I really enjoyed the single hunting as I found I paid way more attention to the sights and sounds around me. and there was noone to argue with me on which way I should be walking, or how much time it took me to do something. I could have a break when I wanted. list goes on and on.
One thing I do want tho is to have someone there when I drop my animal to do the Thompson Jig with me and give a high five. Dead deer and trees dont high five very well.

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 11-18-2008, 02:57 PM

As i read all the posts it makes me laugh and see im not the only one. A friend of mine is a "Trophy" hunter. will not shoot any buck under 150 B/C.
> there was a few years in a row his tags never left his pocket<
For me i can get picky with deer. I Like to wait till November.
i shot my whitetail on Monday morning. But previous to him i passed up several buck's. some alot bigger and some alot smaller. mine was a 4 x 3.
am i sad i didnt shoot the big one's. not at all, it was a fun hunt. I have a son that will finally get to hunt himself next year. ( he will be 12 )
I have 8 deer mounts in my basement. for a while rack size was important.
Now I tell my son any animal that your lucky enough to get is a trophy.
Antler size is just a bonus..its the quality time that I will spend with my kids thats the real trophy for me now. I will let them decide about the antlers..
Old 11-18-2008, 06:05 PM

Last edited by Dark; 11-18-2008 at 07:04 PM.