Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-11-2008, 01:20 PM

Post Zaft Buck

anyone ever hear or read about this worldrecord pope and young whitetail?
http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/h...ecord_Burkhead
Old 11-11-2008, 01:40 PM

It's been all over the hunting world since it was shot 7 years ago, but it's not a world record... it was mis-measured at first and a point that was counted as a typical point was later deemed as a non-typical point by the scoring panel.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:51 PM

Default Mismeasured my........

If they think that the G2 & G3 have a common base take a look at the Curt Van Lith buck, Which was tied for the #2 position, If thats not a common base nothing is, its palmated 6 inch's up the tine. Could'nt find the score sheet on it but found old forum gossip on it right after the Zaft buck came to light! They said that the G3 was scored as a typical point. Must have had a 16inch circ. there! To bad for Zaft, think it had anything to do with being shot in Canada!
Old 11-11-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTK View Post
If they think that the G2 & G3 have a common base take a look at the Curt Van Lith buck, Which was tied for the #2 position, If thats not a common base nothing is, its palmated 6 inch's up the tine. Could'nt find the score sheet on it but found old forum gossip on it right after the Zaft buck came to light! They said that the G3 was scored as a typical point. Must have had a 16inch circ. there! To bad for Zaft, think it had anything to do with being shot in Canada!
If it was shot state side it would have went #1 IMO.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:27 PM

I agree, if it was shot down in the statws it would have gone #1. Same thing happened with the Kuntz elk. It is all a load of bullsh**.
Old 11-11-2008, 10:04 PM

Here's a tidbit for you all, a buddy of mine shot a great elk last year that makes boone either way.. He got a surprise in the mail the other day and I guess they are going to score it only typical good for him cause it will score damn near 400.. Any way the story behind this is there was some guy with BC that was being a real you know what to any Canadian enter and now that this guy was investigated all the animals he was part of are being rescored.. Go figure... Hey I got nothing against the US but they are sore loser's that is for sure..

TP
Old 11-12-2008, 07:15 AM

The owner of the rack has the option of having it entered in the "typical" or "non-typical" categories.

A rack that is close to the World Record is given the "once over" by a panel. Interpretation comes into play as to whether the rack and the points are typical or non.

Considering the financial gains possible, a new world record is scrutinized pretty hard and harsh.

But the measuring rules are pretty clear and each point they looked at would have to be justified and their decisions would be based on the "B&C measuring bible".

Some guys think you can run a tape measure over the animals horns, or silier yet, a "Rackulator", and get the true measurement.

It takes me about 2 hrs to properly score a deer. Then I do it again a week later and compare my notes.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 11-12-2008 at 07:23 AM.