Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-23-2013, 12:04 PM

Default Hike in Fly Fishing in AB Rockies

Hello everyone,

I am a university student and I moved out west for a summer job. I will be heading back home in at the end of August. Before I go I want to explore the Rockies one last time. I have recently taken up fly fishing, and i thought the best way to do this was to hike to a mountain lake a fish for a day or two as I camp. I have been doing some research all ready, but would just like to know what others think. Here are my criteria i am looking for.

1. 10 to 20km hike one way
2. great scenery (although I am sure every mountain lake will have great scenery)
3. Good fly fishing, I would like to keep one fish to eat but the rest I will be releasing
4. Ideally have a (controlled ,small) fire on my campsite
5. preferably in AB (since I already have my AB fishing license)

I really appreciate any help you guys can give me, and I look forward to your responses.

Thank you,

Devin
Old 07-23-2013, 08:34 PM

Monkman pass up to monkman lake south of tumbler ridge, don't worry about a sleeping bag, the bears will keep you warm. Sorry this is in BC, missed that part
Old 07-23-2013, 09:41 PM

A couple that come to my mind are in the Castle area.... Grizzly Lake, or South Scarpe Lake.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:11 PM

South for lakes in the castle. Not 10km but a hard hike.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:31 PM

Hello

This website has lots of info

http://www.outdooralberta.com/rummel.php

Doesn't tell you how far the hikes are but does give fishing reports at each one. Then you can easily search one your interested in to find directions/distance.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:14 AM

Thank you all for the replies. I will for sure take a look at those locations. I am going to drag my friend along so there are two of us to watch out for the bears aha.

And thanks for the website WhitefishLady.

Thanks agian
Old 07-24-2013, 09:45 AM

Check out Amythest Lakes in the Tonquin Valley in Jasper National Park. You may have to cook your fish over a camping stove instead of a fire, though. Good fishing for rainbows and brook trout, and you could rent a row boat from one of the two lodges on the lake.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:45 PM

Can't camp at Rummel or have fires anywhere in Kananaskis (or a PP) outside of an established fire pit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitefishLady View Post
Hello

This website has lots of info

http://www.outdooralberta.com/rummel.php

Doesn't tell you how far the hikes are but does give fishing reports at each one. Then you can easily search one your interested in to find directions/distance.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:12 PM

Three Isle Lake is a favorite spot of mine. A little tough to shore fish, though I've always managed one or two per hour. No fires allowed.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
Check out Amythest Lakes in the Tonquin Valley in Jasper National Park. You may have to cook your fish over a camping stove instead of a fire, though. Good fishing for rainbows and brook trout, and you could rent a row boat from one of the two lodges on the lake.
I have been there a few times and it all depends on what u want to fish for as the north end of the lake and where the north lodge is is mostly brookies and the south lodge has mostly rainbows but on the far side has brookie wall which u need a spinning rod to fish, as the big boulders the fish hide behind are just to hard to cast to and sink quickly enough ...........the microscopic red shrimp are unreal and the chromies is all u use for hooks.....the wind can really suck there and it likes to keep changing directions and u r rowing a boat it can suck............lovely lake though...........took me until second trip to really figure out how to catch fish and then did good..... if i remember right around middle of august the brookies become so much more willing to bite