Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-24-2008, 11:41 PM
Shrubs

Never understood tatoos personally. Flame away but to me there's only two types.

There are the vanity tatoos which are just random crap somebody gets plastered on them that "looks good."

Then there are the second type. The ones that mean something...

This is obviously gonna be a touchy subject to some but for real if something is that important I see no reason to write it anywhere on your body permanantly. If it or they or who or what means that much it will be stuck in your noggin for life. No need to put it anywhere else. I like anyone else has a few scars and have never felt the need to print them.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:38 AM

It took me 7 years to design and create this tattoo. I did it as a memorial and a reminder of who I am.

Back in 1992 our family crest, info pics and pretty much all of our family history that my Great Great Grandfather had passed down to my Grandfather, had been stolen among many other items in a home invasion. Thieves pretty much just grabbed what ever they could and took off. Never recovered any of these Items.

Long story short as I got older I wanted to get a tattoo, I watched my brother's friends get punk style tats, and over the last few years I sat back while all my friends are getting dolphins and armband tattoos and pics of Baseball and just what ever some tattoo artist agreed to ink.

I decided to put a great deal of thought into my tattoo. It took me 5 years to design and 7 years to finally decide what to get. After loosing pretty much all my Grandparents and family to Cancer and other diseases over the years and thinking back to the fact that we lost our Crest. I wanted to somewhat pay honor to my ancestors.

The tattoo below I explain to people when they ask what it means is,

"The intertwining bloodlines of my family history, join into the stem of who I am!"

7 years later on my birthday,

This Tattoo took almost 6 hours in one sitting.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethalconnection View Post
Just so you would know who it is thats always in front of you
Man are you lucky that this is a family forum!!!!!

I think I'll leave that one alone

tm
Old 10-25-2008, 10:49 AM

Ink free, can't make a decision.

For all you SNL fans, remember this skit?
http://www.guzer.com/videos/snl_tattoo_removal.php

Have a good one.
Flipper
Old 10-25-2008, 11:04 AM

I agree with Scrubs....
As much as people say it's for ''memories'' or has ''special meanings'' I don't buy it. At least not in it's entirety.
As much as tattoo proponents say that the tattoo is for themselves , they are there for attention of some sort.
HAs anyone every gotten a tattoo where nobody will ever see it ?
I think self esteem has alot to do with it , or lack there of.

I tell my kids that if you want to make a statement....... leave your body alone...as you will be unique !!
Old 10-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Banned

A message to the young people on this forum..

Tattooing your name on your fingers/knuckles may sound cool when you are 16-17-18...whatever but..

It won't be so cool 30-40 years later.

I offer this advice...tattoo all you want but only on parts that can be covered up with clothes..

I wish someone would have told me this back in 1971..
Old 10-25-2008, 12:02 PM

Hey justagirl, I know that tattoo all too well. PM sent.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 10-25-2008, 12:35 PM

i got a tattoo just because i wanted one ahaha it doesnt have any real meaning at all, but i am adding initials of all my grandparents so then it will mean something. i am a fan of tattoo's just because i see it as art and you're proud to show off something that means something to you.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:37 PM

Quote:
As much as people say it's for ''memories'' or has ''special meanings'' I don't buy it. At least not in it's entirety.As much as tattoo proponents say that the tattoo is for themselves , they are there for attention of some sort.
I disagree. I guess i can only speak for myself. But for me, it was more then just honoring my sisters memory. It was not to get "attention" as you say. I don't know if you've ever lost someone that close to you, that suddenly, you probably have, maybe you can relate. When I lost my sister my biggest fear was I would forget her, her smile, her laugh, her voice, all the good things about her and only remember the things I didn't want to remember. Although that tattoo was in honor of her, it also serves as my reminder to myself of what she was to me. So everyday when I see it I think of her.

If you can't or don't understand that, then i am happy for you, and i truly hope with all sincerity, you never have to.

Last edited by Justagirl; 10-25-2008 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justagirl View Post
I disagree. I guess i can only speak for myself. But for me, it was more then just honoring my sisters memory. It was not to get "attention" as you say. I don't know if you've ever lost someone that close to you, that suddenly, you probably have, maybe you can relate. When I lost my sister my biggest fear was I would forget her, her smile, her laugh, her voice, all the good things about her and only remember the things I didn't want to remember. Although that tattoo was in honor of her, it also serves as my reminder to myself of what she was to me. So everyday when I see it I think of her.

If you can't or don't understand that, then i am happy for you, and i truly hope with all sincerity, you never have to.
My condolences..... sincerely.
I think most everyone has lost someone special. I lost both my parents at too young an age.
Your reasoning for your tattoo may be very valid ... I don't know.
It just seems to me that there's better ways to remembering lost loved one's.
I'm not a fan of tattoo's, so I don't see the rational.
I guess it's just a pet peeve of mine.
I was at the beach this summer and I had to point out to my wife that there wasn't anybody over the age of ( what appeared to be ) 16 that didn't sport a tattoo. It was bizarre....
Honestly... if I see another ''butterfly'' on the small of the back of some ''20 something'' girl ...... I think I'll puke
Old 10-25-2008, 03:55 PM

This is my tattoo it took me a long time to decide what I wanted, the brand at the top is my Grandpa's for his cattle.
IMGP4736.JPG.jpg
Old 10-25-2008, 04:09 PM

Very well said Justagirl.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:02 PM

Very well said Justagirl,

We all have our reasons as to why some of us have tattoos and why some of us will never get one, or don't see the purpose.

My tattoo I have created a new family crest, nothing like the original, but one that no matter how many home invasions occur, no one can ever steal again.

That and Its copyrighted!
hehehe
Old 10-25-2008, 07:04 PM

Here is the one I have finally decided on!

http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgur...CA263%26sa%3DN

Bobby B. and the foolish firearm forum folk are invited to eat my shorts!
Old 10-26-2008, 11:06 AM

sorry bobby not funny the day after as it was at 3:30 am the morn before lack off sleep

Last edited by redneck posse; 10-27-2008 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-26-2008, 08:24 PM

Redneck Posse,

No problemo amigo.

Bobby B.

Last edited by Bobby B.; 10-27-2008 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Harmony and Peace and Respect
Old 10-26-2008, 08:46 PM

I got one recently after thinking about it for about 6 years. i got it in a place that could be covered if i choose. I may not want to share it with everybody. I am not worried about whether or not I'll like it or if it will suit me in 20 or 30 years because I see it as a snapshot in time. A memento of something important to me at a certain time of my life. I can say ya that's what i was into when i was 40, and it was great. Each to their own and I respect other's choices.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby B. View Post
Redneck Pusse,

When insulting someone, try to do it with humour and intellect. Either one would be be a good start from you.

Bobby B.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:58 PM

Default tattoo

i always liked tats but not piercings for some reason, but like what has been said already it's a good idea to know exactly what you want and know a lot about who is doing it. I wanted to get a cougar when i was 18 and ended up with this from an idiot. I just got it covered a few months ago and am much happier with it. Now it's time for my cougar on the other arm but i will know exactly what is going on there before i get another screw up. Here is my before and after pics.
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
sorry for size dont know how to re-size them!

Last edited by RockyMountainMusic; 10-27-2008 at 12:07 AM. Reason: cant re-size
Old 10-27-2008, 04:21 AM

Download a song called "Tattoo's and Scars" by Montgomery-Gentry.
Says it all.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:52 AM
Banned

Here is one of a few tattoos i have. My wife also has my name in celtic scribe on the back of her neck. Its friggen hot. Needless to say that arm band took lots o ink.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:29 AM

I got a tatto a year ago in memory of my grandpa who passed away. It is my family crest from that side of the family (my mothers maiden name). I agree that you should not get a tattoo of something that has no meaning to you. I thought long and hard before getting mine and know it is something I will never regret.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg random 004.jpg (36.2 KB, 85 views)
Old 10-27-2008, 12:50 PM

Tatoos label you. They say something about your interests, your personality, your social status (sorry, but it's true, at least to others). If you are comfortable with that and don't think any of those things will ever change, then go for it. Nothing wrong with it. But they might change. My only advice would be to tatto in a place that can be covered if you ever wish to portray a different image to the world. I don't have any tattoos, but have played with the idea. I'd just never get one on the hands, neck, etc.

I found out my son got a nipple piercing. Had to laugh as I never noticed it when he lived at home (he pointed out that he always put his hand over his chest when he got out of the shower, to which I replied "Oh yeah.... you did. Never thought anything of it). But at least it is in a place where it can be easily hidden. Going to a job interview with a pierced nose has it's downside.
Old 10-27-2008, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverboy View Post
Here is one of a few tattoos i have. My wife also has my name in celtic scribe on the back of her neck. Its friggen hot. Needless to say that arm band took lots o ink.

holey jesus lever boy remind me to leave my horse or riverboat at home next time, ill pm ya to pack out my moose,,,,,,,,,
Old 10-27-2008, 02:49 PM

I have a tattoo on my back of a symmetrical Hopi sun at sunrise. In the works is the three sisters mountains below the sun, where no one can see, in memory of my mother and her two sisters.

I am always in the mountains, and need something to distract from all the hairy patches on that section of real estate. Maybe the hair will look like grass blowing in the wind on my mountains!
Old 10-27-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverboy View Post
My wife also has my name in celtic scribe on the back of her neck.
Or at least she TELLS you it's your name. English would have been better
Old 10-27-2008, 03:30 PM

I dont think there is anything wrong with tattoos with in reason.....

I live to hunt and fish 365 days a year, heres mine!!! Recignize the symbol

Barbwire
Old 10-27-2008, 04:38 PM

Thumbs up

Hey Psi, got the same thing, the family crest. This was different, my 2 boys wanted the 3 of us to have something the same, we decided on the family crest. Pretty cool, we will have a reminder of each other and our family history forever.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:59 AM
Banned

Quote:
Or at least she TELLS you it's your name. English would have been better

................actually it is in english. Its in a celtic font i meant.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:40 PM

Default tat

Sorry about the small picture