Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2013, 09:34 AM

Default "shockingly low" Rcmp enrolement

http://www.leaderpost.com/news/RCMP+...325/story.html

In 4 years its gone from 1700 applicants to under 400 this past year,
Wonder what reprecutions this will have in the following years when more and more retire.

I'd also be interested in seeing if the recruitment numbers for the city police forces are also decreasing, or if they are picking up the rcmp's interested parties and drawing them away with different policies or pay?
Old 06-12-2013, 09:44 AM

Default time for RCMP reset

The RCMP is now widely known to be a dysfunctional organization badly in need of a full 'reboot'.

I don't imagine this makes them a highly sought after employer among idealists drawn to law enforcement.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:02 AM

Seen an officer patrolling red deer on a Segway this morning, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I guess the term 'mounted' is wide open for interpretation.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 220swifty View Post
Seen an officer patrolling red deer on a Segway this morning, I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I guess the term 'mounted' is wide open for interpretation.
As a joke?
He lost a bet or messed up real bad to end up being that guy.
Unreal
Old 06-12-2013, 10:14 AM

Smile shocking

Sorry to learn that but they sure are well paid for what they do as are all police in our country. Take a look at the Toronto police force wages from this old document. Over 100K each for just showing up. Where do you think Duffy got the idea from!!

http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/publicat.../munic11b.html
Old 06-12-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BANG View Post
As a joke?
He lost a bet or messed up real bad to end up being that guy.
Unreal
One of the "service" clubs in Red Deer donated some cash a few years ago to the RCMP to purchase some Segway's for trial. At one time they didn't even have the cash to purchase bikes for a bike patrol unit. They were using recovered stolen bikes.

It's obviously worked out - this is a very recent picture from the Advocate.
Looks like they have the "all terrain" version.

http://media.albertalocalnews.com/im...CMP+Segway.jpg

Jim
Old 06-12-2013, 10:34 AM

For years (approaching decades), recruiting has basically been done intentionally from francophones, aboriginals, ethnic minorities, and women (in no particular order)... and this is only talking recruitment. It has been happening also in terms of favorable transfers and promotions as well. That this news of low enrollments is shocking is really what is shocking. Unless you qualify from one of the aforementioned groups, why would you apply?
Old 06-12-2013, 10:34 AM

EPS and the RCMP are train wrecks. They need to first get rid of the polygraph part of the 'recruiting' stage. A lot of potentially great officers dont even bother applying based on this aspect alone....myself included! Not a chance I want or need to be beaten up on a lie detector about the grass I smoked 2 years ago.

I have a few friends that are cops, and I find it brutal that they were told they couldnt affiliate with ANY friends or family that took part in any sort of illegal activity (marijuana smoking).

They need to revamp their recruitment process. I did the 2 year police program at grant mac and had many professiors that were current beat cops openly say the recruitment process is a brutal joke. Many great great cops got on both forces by having no clue what to do out of highschool and signed their name away to EPS at a fold up table on the corner of jasper ave.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:45 AM

There's no question that the RCMP have their problems (well documented in the media), but the lower enrolment at the RCMP academy has to do with 'reorganization' within their ranks (not a drop in interest), resulting in a lowered need for new recruits.

A quote from farther down in the article . . .
" ... Most recently, internal restructuring led to existing RCMP police officers being available internally to fill the vacancies in the field, therefore requiring (fewer) applicants ... the RCMP recently converted "several hundred" positions in operational support and administration that had been held by regular members into civilian positions ... This enabled the RCMP to fill vacancies with the members who previously held those jobs rather than new hires ..."

Most of this 'story' has to do with a Liberal Senator (Colin Kenny), trying to make a mountain out of a molehill.

TF
Old 06-12-2013, 10:49 AM

logic dictates the job sucks... One of those jobs where you need to have a calling and a strong desire to help others.

That would be the most likely reason no one wants to apply. I would never do the job. High stress... People tend to have the mentality of hating police cause they do their job like pulling over speeders or making drug busts.

RCMP can get posted to the crappiest locations like out of control first nation areas.

You can be killed on the job. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...e-of-duty.html

Your work hours suck and shift work kills the body.

Salary
When you successfully complete the Cadet Training Program and have been offered employment, you will be engaged (hired) as a Regular Member Constable at an annual salary of $49,680. Normally, within 36 months of service, your annual salary will have increased incrementally to $80,498.

The following is the salary scale for the Constable rank:

•Entry: $49,680
•6 months service: $64,549
•12 months service: $70,035
•24 months service: $75,522
•36 months service: $80,498

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/recruiting...ntages-eng.htm
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-12-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jryley View Post
EPS and the RCMP are train wrecks. They need to first get rid of the polygraph part of the 'recruiting' stage. A lot of potentially great officers dont even bother applying based on this aspect alone....myself included! Not a chance I want or need to be beaten up on a lie detector about the grass I smoked 2 years ago.

I have a few friends that are cops, and I find it brutal that they were told they couldnt affiliate with ANY friends or family that took part in any sort of illegal activity (marijuana smoking).

They need to revamp their recruitment process. I did the 2 year police program at grant mac and had many professiors that were current beat cops openly say the recruitment process is a brutal joke. Many great great cops got on both forces by having no clue what to do out of highschool and signed their name away to EPS at a fold up table on the corner of jasper ave.
You nailed it,if you were raised in a convent in a gated community and never had a dirty thought cross your mind you may be considered.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdog15 View Post
For years (approaching decades), recruiting has basically been done intentionally from francophones, aboriginals, ethnic minorities, and women (in no particular order)... and this is only talking recruitment. It has been happening also in terms of favorable transfers and promotions as well. That this news of low enrollments is shocking is really what is shocking. Unless you qualify from one of the aforementioned groups, why would you apply?
Hate to shock you, but this is a popular misconception, I retired out of the "K" Div recruiting Section. All applicants were given equal opportunity, visible minorities may have had minor incentives, but not to the degree you seem to think. The reason for the lower number of applicants is because many forces are now recruiting across Canada, something they didn't use to do. There are also a lower number of applicants generally, one reason being all of the negative publicity given to police officers by society in general. Another reason for the drop of RCMP applicants is that under the current Commissioner, Paulson, benefits, such as medical, leave, pension, severance pay have been slashed. I can't deny the transfers or promotions comments though, there is some truth to that, likely always will be, same as many organizations.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:

In regards to the grass smoked two years ago, as long as it it not current or ongoing, after a certain period of time it is not a consideration. I interviewed many applicants as a recruiting officer, it did not keep them out. One of the reasons for the polygraph is that it is amazing how many people would give inflated references for people, one of the reasons so many bad apples slipped through. Keep trying, if you can handle the public scrutiny it is a good career even with all of the nonsense that will be directed your way.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:10 AM

I wonder if the Canadian Forces recruitment videos sway anyone?

This new one for the SOFCOM is pretty bad ass...lol

http://www.cansofcom-comfoscan.force.../video-eng.asp
Old 06-12-2013, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
logic dictates the job sucks... One of those jobs where you need to have a calling and a strong desire to help others.

That would be the most likely reason no one wants to apply. I would never do the job. High stress... People tend to have the mentality of hating police cause they do their job like pulling over speeders or making drug busts.

RCMP can get posted to the crappiest locations like out of control first nation areas.

You can be killed on the job. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/...e-of-duty.html

Your work hours suck and shift work kills the body.

Salary
When you successfully complete the Cadet Training Program and have been offered employment, you will be engaged (hired) as a Regular Member Constable at an annual salary of $49,680. Normally, within 36 months of service, your annual salary will have increased incrementally to $80,498.

The following is the salary scale for the Constable rank:

•Entry: $49,680
•6 months service: $64,549
•12 months service: $70,035
•24 months service: $75,522
•36 months service: $80,498

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/recruiting...ntages-eng.htm
thats a pretty fast and large pay hike. Im lucky to get a buck an hour raise each year.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan 08 View Post
In regards to the grass smoked two years ago, as long as it it not current or ongoing, after a certain period of time it is not a consideration. I interviewed many applicants as a recruiting officer, it did not keep them out. One of the reasons for the polygraph is that it is amazing how many people would give inflated references for people, one of the reasons so many bad apples slipped through. Keep trying, if you can handle the public scrutiny it is a good career even with all of the nonsense that will be directed your way.
Im now married with a child and a second on the way. Police life unfortunately doesnt go hand in hand (Constable shift work) with a young family. And to be honest, some of the things Ive heard and seen through friends that are officers, through the recruitment process, left a pretty sour taste in my mouth.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Im now married with a child and a second on the way. Police life unfortunately doesnt go hand in hand (Constable shift work) with a young family. And to be honest, some of the things Ive heard and seen through friends that are officers, through the recruitment process, left a pretty sour taste in my mouth.
You have to balance what is right for you, what another individual might find tolerable, could be wrong for you. This doesn't mean that the person that doesn't take it on is weaker, just that everybody has different priorities , the number one priority is that your family ALWAYS comes first.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:22 AM

Interesting Titan. Not disagreeing with you but a friend I had (who is now retired) told me a story where he was nearly hauled up for insubordination for refusing to sign off on some new first nation hires that couldn't pass the background check.

His superiors ordered him to sign off, he refused and old them that if they wanted to hire these guys and short circuit the background check - they could sign off on it themselves. The other choice he gave them was for them to do that or order him in writing to clear the new hires.

I don't think the train wreck is on the front line even with the racist hiring practices. The train wreck is in the brass - the RC's need to get their management under control.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:30 AM

I would love to serve for my country for a few years, It has called to me all my life.
But the reserves seem like the better option for my own life,
but I would like to know that for some time atleast, I was of use to more than just my self.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:35 AM

When I started, there were over 2500 applicants for 26 positions.

It's different now for sure.

The polygraph was used to test how truthful you were.

Any drug use, ever, and you were gone.

Things are less stringent now, however, the application process has become more cumbersome.

Shift work is not good for family. Or your health.

EPS now has two ex-Mounties running the place.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:37 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000yards View Post
I wonder if the Canadian Forces recruitment videos sway anyone?

This new one for the SOFCOM is pretty bad ass...lol

http://www.cansofcom-comfoscan.force.../video-eng.asp
That's ^ one of the best vids they've made so far!

MacLeod (a.k.a. TF)

Last edited by Selkirk; 06-12-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 06-12-2013, 11:56 AM

And people with no real skills or education get paid what in the oil patch?? Give your head a shake!!!

R...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbur1005 View Post
Sorry to learn that but they sure are well paid for what they do as are all police in our country. Take a look at the Toronto police force wages from this old document. Over 100K each for just showing up. Where do you think Duffy got the idea from!!

http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/publicat.../munic11b.html
Old 06-12-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricktye View Post
And people with no real skills or education get paid what in the oil patch?? Give your head a shake!!!

R...
Anybody who works outside in -40 weather 12 hours a day, away from their family for 3 weeks at a time, busting their hump should be paid more dontcha think?
Old 06-12-2013, 12:49 PM

Default Skills and education - give me a break

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricktye View Post

R...
With all due respect Rick a 100K plus benefits for a so called educated line officer is just too much in our country where civil service incomes are derived from income taxes and transfer payments. Cuts to this bloated area of the federal civil service, provincial civil service and municipal civil services are long over due. Any top management cop that cuts costs gets my support. Police unions and the rcmp establishment - really a union - have had a fee ride at the expense of federal Medicare funding, environmental funding and all areas of social services.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbur1005 View Post
With all due respect Rick a 100K plus benefits for a so called educated line officer is just too much in our country where civil service incomes are derived from income taxes and transfer payments. Cuts to this bloated area of the federal civil service, provincial civil service and municipal civil services are long over due. Any top management cop that cuts costs gets my support. Police unions and the rcmp establishment - really a union - have had a fee ride at the expense of federal Medicare funding, environmental funding and all areas of social services.
Not to mention most patch jobs are significantly more dangerous then a career in law enforcement.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:10 PM

when I applied 6 yrs ago, I got 87% in the exam, a great score, but I was too white and too manly to go further.....
Old 06-12-2013, 01:20 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
Anybody who works outside in -40 weather 12 hours a day, away from their family for 3 weeks at a time, busting their hump should be paid more dontcha think?
Soldiers are not paid even close and what you state is a walk in the park! RCMP officers need to be paid more as do our soldiers...
Old 06-12-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Soldiers are not paid even close and what you state is a walk in the park! RCMP officers need to be paid more as do our soldiers...
We all have choices.... Nobodys tellin them boys they cant work in the patch. They knew exactly what they are getting into when they sign there name...
Old 06-12-2013, 02:32 PM

Why do people complain about how much money other people make?

Logically, they complain about people who make more than they do. Why would they complain about the $10 per hour guy at WalMart.

Does making more $ mean u are a better or worse person? No. It just means you make more money. That's it.

I see this on here all the time.

If you aren't happy with what you make, work more. Now that's an original thought. If your current job doesn't pay enough for you, leave. Find something else. If you don't qualify for something else, perhaps you need to upgrade or make some changes.

Saying that "this guy gets $100K a year for doing nothing" is just crying.

I know a few guys that make $5-9 million per year in wages. They EARN it. They buy things, they go places. Do they get dirt under their fingernails? No. They hire guys to do work like that. If you are the type of guy he hires, be thankful rather than resentful. He feeds you.

Last edited by huntinstuff; 06-12-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:50 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
We all have choices.... Nobodys tellin them boys they cant work in the patch. They knew exactly what they are getting into when they sign there name...
Yep your/my freedom and when the wolves are at the gate your/my protection so we can work the "patch"!