Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-12-2008, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooeylover View Post
A sure fire way to get away from all the quads is to get an argo with the rubber tracks!! Was in a great area a couple of weeks ago. Went back in on a thursday and came out after the weekend. At the first really bad bog hole, was where all the quads stopped. My buddy had to pull me in with his argo, was no possible way to get back in there with my quad alone. I know its kinda a bit of an expensive way to go, but man i tell you what, they are the trick!!!!
THIS is what quads are great for. Get away from the crowd! Not cover what the road hunt misses!
Old 10-12-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rog Man View Post
I used to be mad at quadders aswell, probably more jealous than mad but a couple a years ago i had some knee issues that would have ended my hunting activities unless i got a quad. because of the quad i can still get out and hunt.
It is public land after all and you have to share it with the public.
Quadders have just as much right to be out there as you do.
Betchya don't mind quads when you down a moose and a quadder offers to pull it back to your truck for ya??.
Lots of good suggestions made, if on foot hunt the forest not the beaten down quad trails if the quads bother you that much or go buy a quad and join the party my 2 bitts werth.
Guess if the hookers or Druggies get to be too much I should just join in or move. Came out wrong, Look, when the road hunters "check out all the Gas roads, and the Quads check out everywhere else, what can do? If you have an Mechanical advantage , use it!!! Go farther then I can on foot!! I begrudge you not! In fact Jealous!
jUST BECAUSE YOU DON`T WANT TO LEAVE YOUR EQUIPMENT UNGUARDED

Last edited by Bogman10; 10-12-2008 at 06:21 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 06:34 PM

[QUOTE=Walleyes;196258]Courtesy is what its about and has nothing to do with a quad. I experienced much of the same while hunting Elk in 400 a few years back and well we solved it,,, just don't go hunt there any more. People have to learn that if you see evidence of someone hunting on a line or a clearing just don't go there,, plain and simple.

Just a question when you were sitting on these lines did you leave any sign to in coming hunters that you were there or did you just expect that most people have E.S.P. ???

I get a kick out of these posts every year,, people hunt an hour out of the city then complain about the amount of hunters,, lololo.. Do you want to get away from the hunters well,,, get away from the hunte
How do you know I droveÉ How much Cash should I have before I enjoy the same rights as youÉ If I am poor ,should I shut my mouth and let the rich ( see quaders ) do what ever becuase they have moneyÉ
I guess I am too POOR to voice an opinioun,
Ps :I can by a Quad tommorow if I want!
Old 10-12-2008, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdfish View Post
OK, this is my take on it. There are a lot of quad trails/cutlines in the area I hunt. Obviously, if someone was parked at the start of trail, I would look elsewhere but when that trail branches off in 5 or 6 different directions who's to say that someone on a quad didn't start from an entirely different location and end up where you were?

Now I for one don't necessarily believe in riding around on a quad all day looking for something to shoot. That's a lot like road-hunting (which I have no problem with if done ethically) I personally use a Quad to get into an area to hunt, not to hunt off of.

Get off the quad trail, with a little searching chances are you can find some better areas that are a little more secluded.
Yet somebody else who uses a quad with consideration for everybody elseà
Old 10-12-2008, 11:19 PM

Please also realize some guys are old and out of breath (or there might be other health issues). They can' t walk far but still love hunting. I am young yet but before getting P'OD think about the other possibilties. Yes there will always be a__ holes but some people have little choice and others truly do not know any better. If you don't like quads another option is to hunt FLUZ zones. Hope everyone has a great season!
Old 10-12-2008, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBO View Post
Please also realize some guys are old and out of breath (or there might be other health issues). They can' t walk far but still love hunting. I am young yet but before getting P'OD think about the other possibilties. Yes there will always be a__ holes but some people have little choice and others truly do not know any better. If you don't like quads another option is to hunt FLUZ zones. Hope everyone has a great season!
Im in the same position as you. 26 years old as of wednesday , and due to an injury i cant walk very far. Also applyed for special hunting priviliges due to this. Agaib hate the driver not the quad. I like to travel early morning mid day and after dark. Its all about respect.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:29 AM

Easy solution, seek permission and hunt private land.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:34 AM

Here's my experiance with quads in the mountains.

I was drawn for grizzly in the Burnt timber area several years ago. The week after the May long weekend. I ran into a CO at the Mountainair Lodge he said usually they count 4000 offroad vehicles on the may long weekend in this area. He siad that year they quit counting at 12,000. I had quads buzzing around the valleys all week and there were quad tracks in every clearing right up to the rocks.

How many greasy crankcases in our trout streams is too many? There was a large snow drift that crossed a road up to a look uot right on top of the mountain. Every guad went around the melting snow and tore up the sub alpine ground. It will take 100 years to fix what they wrecked in 5 minutes.

Another time hunting sheep on the Red Cap, ( the year the indains killed all the rams) a freind and I climed well before light to get up to the top for first light. As we neared the top we heard the hunters at the camp below start there quads and start up the mountain. It was allready getting light and they should have been walking. They rode up in 10 minutes what it took us hours to climb. They drove right into us and when they saw us they had the ( deer in the headlights look), they quikly got off and started walking. After a few choice words we departed and went looking for sheep that were not there.

This 1 hour before daylight rule just makes us police it.

I have the answer!!
- Lets have a couple zones for people over 65 and handicap people that can use a quad.
- Lets have the government buy a section of land outside Edmonton, Calgary, and Lethbridge. Then build the most radical dirtbike, quading, mud boging park. Then all you quaders could wreck that country instead of our mountains.

PS.... I have a quad, it's handy to get the cows in when the horses are too far away.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered user View Post
Easy solution, seek permission and hunt private land.
No cant do that. Havent you read most of the posts in the past month. Most of the users on here are far too lazy to go out and do that. They would rather hunt public land that they dont have to go out and scout around to see if its any good then whine, complain, and bug the rest of us on why there are too many people and quads in the area they want to hunt.
Old 10-13-2008, 07:43 PM

i camp,ride my dirt bike with my wife and hunt in the 400.there are lot of quad trails in and around the area.i never look forward to the maylong weekend caus eof the all the J$#@A$# that show up for the long weekends and destroy the place in one weekend.this past maylong we went up to the westcastle area with some freinds. and to are surprise there was a check stop just as you come over a hill. when we got in to the camping areas it didnt seem overly busy.we road most of the weekend without getting stoped by the fish cops.(which is really weird).when we finnaly did i asked why they havnt been bothering us.caus enormally you get stoped 5 to 6 times a day.his reply to me was we have descided to fix the problem he said that instead of making everyones live hell to focus on the ttrouble people.ie no headlight no insurance riding off the tails riding on the roads.wow they final got it. hey if your braking the law. you deserve heavy fines. and yes unfortuatly there will always be a couple of people that ruin it for all of us.now luckly for us hunters they have shut quiet a few of the trails down so that it is only hike in now. but please dont rip all the atv or dirtbike people.there a lot of us that do are part to make sure that we are not destroying the area and are trying to make it harder for the people that are to go out there.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:14 PM

My Grandfather and his gang never had quads, and they hunted the crap out of themselves every year up untill they all died in their 80's.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:25 PM

One of the main problems is noise pollution. We want to go to the hills to enjoy nature, not hear dirt bikes.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Shrubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
To keep it short.............

I've had hunts ruined by quadders, and I've probably wrecked hunts for others while quadding.

If you do not want quads to negatively affect your hunt, then perhaps set yourself up at a distance greater than 50 yards from a quadable trail. Maybe I'm over simplfying, maybe I'm not.

Tree
Agreed.

Though I do believe some people could be a bit more thoughtful of other people while hunting. I parked my truck on a nice cut line I like to watch near Sunchild last year and had a fellow on a quad drive right on past me
and down to the area I was watching. On the way back he was nice enough to tell me that he didn't see anything. I didn't have much to say so he carried on his way.
Is he entitled to do that of course but when a guy makes an effort not to do the same thing to other people it kinda feels like a slap in the face.
Old 10-14-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Lets have the government buy a section of land outside Edmonton, Calgary, and Lethbridge. Then build the most radical dirtbike, quading, mud boging park. Then all you quaders could wreck that country instead of our mountains.
I am a hunter and a quadder.

I'll reverse this on you, why don't all hunters have to hunt on game farms instead of hunting in our mountains. The reason is it is not what we want to do. Seems like just because I want to hunt in a certain area, use the mountains a certain way and because this disagrees with you I am wrong. I've quadded and hunted in 400 and there a days that we don't come across another person. I have seen a lot of animals while riding, the only time they spook is when I get off a present myself as human. My rant for today.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:13 PM

I have a friend who is confined to a wheelchair. The only way he can hunt is on a quad. Am I to understand that he can't hunt just because he has to use a quad and might ruin your day if he happens to drive by you?
Old 10-14-2008, 12:14 PM

Default quads

I think the current quad law works pretty good to allow the on foot guys at least the mornings to have a quiet hunt. Unfortunately lots of guys use loopholes in the law such as stashing their guns in the bush or have a tent set up so they can claim the "on a direct route between camps" or just plain disregard the law. i like Saskatchewans rules for it better though. Ride from noon to midnight only (i think that includes the retreival of game also)

as for the comments such as "I was set up on a cutline and the guy goes right by me" I agree that that is unethical and personally I would not do it. As for the types of guys who set up their travel trailers right on a 2 track leading into several nice cutblocks? Sorry, but you leaving your camp there for weeks on end doesnt designate an entire area for your exclusive use.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by metro View Post
I think the current quad law works pretty good to allow the on foot guys at least the mornings to have a quiet hunt. Unfortunately lots of guys use loopholes in the law such as stashing their guns in the bush or have a tent set up so they can claim the "on a direct route between camps" or just plain disregard the law. i like Saskatchewans rules for it better though. Ride from noon to midnight only (i think that includes the retreival of game also)

as for the comments such as "I was set up on a cutline and the guy goes right by me" I agree that that is unethical and personally I would not do it. As for the types of guys who set up their travel trailers right on a 2 track leading into several nice cutblocks? Sorry, but you leaving your camp there for weeks on end doesnt designate an entire area for your exclusive use.
Rob....is that you??lol..
Old 10-14-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer55 View Post
I am a hunter and a quadder.

I'll reverse this on you, why don't all hunters have to hunt on game farms instead of hunting in our mountains. The reason is it is not what we want to do. Seems like just because I want to hunt in a certain area, use the mountains a certain way and because this disagrees with you I am wrong. I've quadded and hunted in 400 and there a days that we don't come across another person. I have seen a lot of animals while riding, the only time they spook is when I get off a present myself as human. My rant for today.
Quading in the mountains is like you smoking ciggarettes. You enjoy your smoke while everyone else pays the price. (noise pollution,grease and oil in our trout streams, wrecked quad parts, roads everywhere, ruts up every hill). Like I said in another post, everyone has the right to use the forestry, but no one has the right to wreck it.
Old 10-15-2008, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep nut View Post
Then all you quaders could wreck that country instead of our mountains.
PS.... I have a quad, it's handy to get the cows in when the horses are too far away.
I didnt know the mountains were only for crabby old farmers I have a quad, and I use it occassionally for hunting. I don't tear up the country side, and I sure the hell am not going to use some ****ing amusement park to ride my quad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanGSP View Post
No cant do that. Havent you read most of the posts in the past month. Most of the users on here are far too lazy to go out and do that. They would rather hunt public land that they dont have to go out and scout around to see if its any good then whine, complain, and bug the rest of us on why there are too many people and quads in the area they want to hunt.
x2 I've gotten permission on about 5 1/4's less than an hour west of Edmonton. Get off your asses before the season starts and do your research

Quote:
One of the main problems is noise pollution. We want to go to the hills to enjoy nature, not hear dirt bikes.
Thats as stupid as me saying "I'm a bowhunter and I don't want to hear your gunshots in MY mountains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrubs View Post
Agreed.

Though I do believe some people could be a bit more thoughtful of other people while hunting. I parked my truck on a nice cut line I like to watch near Sunchild last year and had a fellow on a quad drive right on past me
and down to the area I was watching. On the way back he was nice enough to tell me that he didn't see anything. I didn't have much to say so he carried on his way.
Is he entitled to do that of course but when a guy makes an effort not to do the same thing to other people it kinda feels like a slap in the face.
There are definately some jerks out there. There's also alot of quadders out there that have absolutely no interest in hunting, and might consider a truck parked by a cutline as another quader that unloaded there. Could happen
I know when I'm out and I meet up with another hunter my first thought is "****! I hope I didn't **** up his hunt." I'll usually stop and wait for minute and then back out. I will say that it's almost guaranteed that at least once a year I'm rescuing a stuck quad/truck or helping pull out a critter. Do I complain and rant on here that people shouldnt go out unprepared? No way. Even if they don't need help I usually end up chatting with the individual and complain/rant about not seeing any record setting animals
& spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!
Old 10-15-2008, 07:46 AM

I'm not saying there are not responsible quaders. A certain amount of quading activity on designated trails wouldn't be so bad. It's just that 12,000 on a May long weekend in a few valleys in not acceptable. 12,000 horses would do some damage as well.
It's hard to lead a pack string of horses while you have a case of beer on your lap dropping beer cans all over.
Every hunter should care about our enviroment. Leave it better than you found it.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:58 AM

The guys hunting off their buggy's are just lazy(if not mobility impaired).I'm sure they used to walk when they didn't have one but now it's just easier to cover more ground with one.That's the way of thinking, take the easy way!I think it's the guys that don't know how to HUNT and don't know their animal to actually out smart them and be successfull.Just drive,drive and drive utill they get lucky.That's not hunting.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:13 AM

Nothing like working around the ridge in the dark on the down wind side to get into position for the morning hunt. Designated off limits to motorized vehicles. You think you hear a quad off in the distance but put it off as the wind and dark playing tricks on you. As you crest the ridge to start the morning hunt you cross the tracks of one of these idiots.

Last Saturday riding into Gardiner in the dark and as it got lighter you could see the fresh quad tracks in the skift of snow. Now I'm not saying these guys are idiot's but I'll put a dollar up against your five that they had their rifles with them.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:46 AM

This past June/July we were camped at the Hummingbird. Most of us had horses, but a few had quads. The only area that was open before July 1 was east of the gravel pit. The quads in our group, who had never been there before would cross the trunk road to the east just to be safe. (They had frequent discussions with the warden). While up the end of the road, they had a discussion with a group of quads that had just returned from Onion Lake. When questioned about the trail not being open for another two days, their response was "we don't give a *****, we go anyway". It is this attitude that unfourtunately paints all quads with the same brush. Biggest problem is it's the ones with this attitude that make the most noise and attract the most attention. I would perfer to travel the hills by horseback, but we also need places for the quads to go and spend money. (read: support the economy)
Old 10-15-2008, 02:09 PM

While we are on the topic of respecting others use of the wilderness. Would it be too much to ask for our quads and dirtbikes to have mufflers that do what the name implies. Muffles the sound to an appropriate level. One gun shot is ot noise pollution, it is there for only a brief moment. It does not resonate across the valley for half an hour.
Old 10-15-2008, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDan View Post
While we are on the topic of respecting others use of the wilderness. Would it be too much to ask for our quads and dirtbikes to have mufflers that do what the name implies. Muffles the sound to an appropriate level. One gun shot is ot noise pollution, it is there for only a brief moment. It does not resonate across the valley for half an hour.
I hate those aftermarket pipes No need for them unless you're trying to compensate for something, or if you race competitively(on a track).
& spoons made Rosie O'Donnell fat!
Old 10-15-2008, 06:55 PM

Some of the newer machines are very quiet, a couple of them went past us at Waiporous on saturday, one was pulling a trailer and had a nice mulie in it. We didn't hear them until they were very close, didn't catch what brand they were but dayum it got me thinking. Next year maybe.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanGSP View Post
So you get to hunt, camp, and enjoy in the Woods, we get to ask to hunt on some guys farm, and stay in a hotel or drive out then back??????? Seems fair to me.........NOT!
More money gets more rights?
Old 10-15-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L. View Post
I have a friend who is confined to a wheelchair. The only way he can hunt is on a quad. Am I to understand that he can't hunt just because he has to use a quad and might ruin your day if he happens to drive by you?
Not at all, just respect someone if they are there first! Sticking to Quad trails etc, don't burn up and down every Cutline when you see somebody is already there! If I see some one sitting on a quad some where already ( still or crawling along ) I leave him/her to her hunt, and move on.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Quading in the mountains is like you smoking ciggarettes. You enjoy your smoke while everyone else pays the price. (noise pollution,grease and oil in our trout streams, wrecked quad parts, roads everywhere, ruts up every hill). Like I said in another post, everyone has the right to use the forestry, but no one has the right to wreck it.
Great post!!!!!!
My Favorite, is watching some A"" pull his Quad into a stream or better yet a lake and wash it off....Kids love to swim in that stuff!
Old 10-15-2008, 07:54 PM
Banned

Oh all right allready cry us all a river would yah please...