Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-23-2013, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel S. View Post
Have you tried them on whitetail? Are they to much?
Have worked good on both mules and whitetails . SST's have been no problem .
Old 04-23-2013, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rman View Post
I don't have to know you. The OP posted a question about A-max, not SST's.
Not disapointed at all, except that you are still guessing as to how A-max work on deer.

R.
I'm not guessing on deer , you can draw that conclusion yourself . Hornady says they can be used on thin skinned game . After seeing the little penetration I get on coyotes there is no reason for me to try them on deer . The effect on coyotes is just what I am after , pinhole entrance and immediate scramble , very few exits . On deer I'm just afraid they wouldn't penetrate much . Others on this post have talked about the SST's so I made a comment .
Old 04-23-2013, 12:58 PM

Default My AMax Experience

I have used the 162 AMAX out of 3 or 4 of my 7mm Mags I have taken everything from Elk and Blackbear neither of which would be considered small all the way down to Antelope all with the same results (Dead Animal) they have been taken from close range under 100 yds to 450 plus All with the same results Dead Animal. They work just fine in my opinion on everything from paper to big north american game. We also use SST'S same result. I am a little hornady bias but have shot them for more years than I can recall.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:59 PM

Rman has an excellent point. Despite what the bullet manufacturers' legal departments advise regarding bullet use, many bullets work for things that they weren't necessarily designed for. Look at the Berger stuff, for example. They were target bullets until hunters started telling Berger that their bullets worked great on game. So they re-labelled them Hunting bullets, and made a thicker jacketed version of same which they called the Target bullet.

Hornady has advertised the A-Max until recently as a target bullet suitable for light to medium game. It's just a simple C&C bullet with a tip, but the nice thing about the A-Max is that they tend to be heavy and long-for-caliber offerings. Because they are heavy and long, they have a lot of bullet shank to expand before jacket/core separation occurs. So they can work quite well, like any other C&C bullet that is on the heavy side of offerings in any given caliber.

Another point to consider is that different bullet sizes and weights perform differently even within the same bullet lineup. The 162 7mm A-Max for example, may perform quite differently from the 105 .243 AM or the 208 .308 AM. I happen to know that the 162 works quite well.

My latest 162 AM victim (40 yards, 3060fps impact velocity, through both shoulder blades, 1.5" exit):

Old 04-23-2013, 04:36 PM

Here is a good site to look at for bullet results compiled by folks who actually use them.just pick your caliber choose your bullet and find out what these guys experience these guys have had. Then try them for yourself http://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowledgebase.html
Old 04-23-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith View Post
Rman has an excellent point. Despite what the bullet manufacturers' legal departments advise regarding bullet use, many bullets work for things that they weren't necessarily designed for. Look at the Berger stuff, for example. They were target bullets until hunters started telling Berger that their bullets worked great on game. So they re-labelled them Hunting bullets, and made a thicker jacketed version of same which they called the Target bullet.

Hornady has advertised the A-Max until recently as a target bullet suitable for light to medium game. It's just a simple C&C bullet with a tip, but the nice thing about the A-Max is that they tend to be heavy and long-for-caliber offerings. Because they are heavy and long, they have a lot of bullet shank to expand before jacket/core separation occurs. So they can work quite well, like any other C&C bullet that is on the heavy side of offerings in any given caliber.

Another point to consider is that different bullet sizes and weights perform differently even within the same bullet lineup. The 162 7mm A-Max for example, may perform quite differently from the 105 .243 AM or the 208 .308 AM. I happen to know that the 162 works quite well.

My latest 162 AM victim (40 yards, 3060fps impact velocity, through both shoulder blades, 1.5" exit):

Looks like they open up very quickly , which is what I said . At 40 yds you're approaching muzzle velocity too , makes for quite the splash .
Old 04-23-2013, 05:27 PM

That picture is of the exit wound. I don't think a 1.5" exit is excessive "splash", although they do open quickly, much like the Nosler BT, Sierra GK, Berger VLD, etc.
Old 04-23-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
That picture is of the exit wound. I don't think a 1.5" exit is excessive "splash", although they do open quickly, much like the Nosler BT, Sierra GK, Berger VLD, etc.
Instant burger .. bet no track tracking was needed.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:11 PM

Wow that's not bad...

How do they hold up when they hit bone?

.....you won't like me when I'm angry...
.....heck you probably won't like me even when I'm not
Old 04-23-2013, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
Instant burger .. bet no track tracking was needed.
Actually, there was very little wrecked meat, as you can see in the photo. The animal was DRT.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post
Wow that's not bad...

How do they hold up when they hit bone?
I can't say how they'll do when they hit something extremely solid, since I haven't tried it yet, but I'd be a little leery of punching both humerus bones on a big moose with one...
Old 04-23-2013, 08:57 PM

Does it really matter???
Hornady A-Max in the heart= DEAD
There is no degrees of DEAD. I don't use them but I would if that's all I had.

Old 04-24-2013, 04:59 PM

Well thanks for all the info guys.. I'm going to try them on bear and see what happens. I will post re****s if I see one.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:13 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig82 View Post
Well thanks for all the info guys.. I'm going to try them on bear and see what happens. I will post re****s if I see one.
Good conclusion, is this Kodiak Bear you after ?
Good luck.You might get Darwin award in the process.

Seriously thou

I think that cup and core bullets especially Target bullets will kill if you are lucky and don't hit any bone on way in.
Why would you handicap yourself going after bear with A-Max ?

As for hunting for meat highly frangible CC bullets leave in your meat lots of lead particles that you and your kids will ingest, that's given.
Will they hurt you that's not as clear yet.

Get 165 gr if that's your flavor in TTSX, GMX, other monolithic bullet for hunting meat and creatures that can bite back.

I would leave A-Max for paper, varmints and pest control.

Andrew

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 04-24-2013, 10:30 PM
Banned

Have you shot either a deer or a bear with an A-max bullet?

R.
Old 04-24-2013, 11:34 PM

I'll give you one guess...
Old 04-25-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
This stuff cracks me up, everytime.
When a fella wants to know an answer to a question, logic would dictate that he would ask someone with experience regarding the subject matter.
An example would be asking an automotive mechanic about some trouble you are having with your car.
The example we usually get on here is a guy asking an automotive mechanic about how to bake a wedding cake.

Just out of curiosity, how many people that answered to OP's question, have actually, themselves, shot an A-max bullet at game? Don't be shy, and tell the truth.

To the OP. Many years ago, Hornady did recommend the A-max for use on deer sized game. It was written in their manuals, and it was written on the box.
I have shot a dozen or more deer with the A-max, and have always had great results. I have shot them from close and far, and the bullet performs. Anything larger than deer, I can't say, because I haven't done it.
Hope this helps.

R.
D o you still use these bullets and what caliber ?
Old 04-25-2013, 07:50 AM
Banned

Yes I still use them, in both 6mm and 7mm.
If I didn't still use them, then I wouldn't really be qualified to answer the question?

R.
Old 04-25-2013, 07:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not guessing on deer , you can draw that conclusion yourself . Hornady says they can be used on thin skinned game . After seeing the little penetration I get on coyotes there is no reason for me to try them on deer . The effect on coyotes is just what I am after , pinhole entrance and immediate scramble , very few exits . On deer I'm just afraid they wouldn't penetrate much . Others on this post have talked about the SST's so I made a comment .
If you have not shot a deer with an A-max, then you are guessing as to how they will perform. Last time I checked, coyotes are not deer.
You're afraid, because you don't know.

R.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'll give you one guess...
Unlike most who have commented on this thread, I don't have to guess! And, niether do you.

Not sure when opinion has become a good substiute for experience and fact, but that is the way the intenet works.
I read somewhere...or I saw this onetime at bandcamp...some fella told me...or whatever, are all safe comments to be made from the couch.

If you haven't done it, then you really can't comment on it, can you?

R.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Yes I still use them, in both 6mm and 7mm.
If I didn't still use them, then I wouldn't really be qualified to answer the question?

R.
Sorry for a simple question , no need to get hostile . I was merely comparing my experience that I have had on coyotes to how they may or may not perform on larger game never said I was an expert , I leave that up to those that seem to know everything .Have a nice day .
Old 04-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Sorry for a simple question , no need to get hostile . I was merely comparing my experience that I have had on coyotes to how they may or may not perform on larger game never said I was an expert , I leave that up to those that seem to know everything .Have a nice day .
Not hostile at all. I can do hostile if it will make you feel better?
Not sure how experience on a coyote would extraploate to deer?
I only know what I have done, and seen, which are things that you have not. It does not make me an expert, but it does qualify me to make a comment.

R.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Hey was just wondering if anyone has used thees rounds for hunting. I bought a box of 162gr for my 7mm and had a friend tell me they were target rounds. I did a bit of research and didn't find out much. Thanks for the help .
I have 10-15 y old box of 7mm 162 AMax bullets that I bought to try in my 7STW due to very high BC of .623!!!

I never used them as this bullet is designed for fast twist of 1-8" and my 7mm barrels have slower 1-9.5 twist so might not stabilize this super long bullet.
What is twist of your 7 MM barrel ?

And from Hornady

7mm .284 162 gr A-MAX®

Features:
AMP Bullet Jackets (Advanced Manufacturing Process).
Best ballistic coefficient possible.
Profile delivers low drag and flat trajectories.
Swaged lead core provides uniformity and consistency.
Unmatched accuracy at long distances.
*Match bullets are not recommended for hunting.

Andrew

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
Old 04-25-2013, 05:10 PM

Lol its funny you know I think Rman has it right. I asked 1 question about 1 round and if is good for hunting or not. All I want too know is if I should use said round on animals. I am new to reloading and I dont want to go out and hurt things I want them to die. Having said that I am also cheap. I sited my gun in at 200yd and it shoots good, 10 shots off bench all with in 2 1/2 inch. 500yd I shot 3 times at a paper plate and all 5 hit. Thats good enough for me. I dont go out and shoot 20 000 shots a year it would be nice but I have other things going on.I really injoy hunting and want to get the most out of it. I would like to shoot once at something and have a nice clean kill. I know my gun and I can hit what I point at I just want to make sure the bullet does its job. If I need a differnt round I will buy it if not then I will use what I got.
Thanks for the help....
Old 04-25-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
I shot 3 times at a paper plate and all 5 hit.
Now that's what I call cheap!

Old 04-25-2013, 06:10 PM

lol hotwheels im sure you knew what I ment but good call lmao
Old 04-25-2013, 06:27 PM

If you can't get them 162's to group for you or are otherwise dissuaded from using them then let me know, I have a partial (83pcs) box of 139gr interlocks I'm not too fond of and we could trade er something....

Old 04-25-2013, 06:46 PM

No I like them they shoot fine. Im not the guy who is looking for 1/2inch groop at 100yd for 5 shots. If I can hit a peper plate 5 out of 5 at 50yd thats good enough for me. I just want to make sure they do the job when they hit. I love hunting but if I shoot something I want it to fall thats why I bought a 7mm.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:30 PM

Read the paragraph in the middle of the page:

Note: .284" 162gr A-Max suited for target/match, varmints, and medium game. Ideal muzzle velocity 2300-3300fps.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:20 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Hey was just wondering if anyone has used thees rounds for hunting. I bought a box of 162gr for my 7mm and had a friend tell me they were target rounds. I did a bit of research and didn't find out much. Thanks for the help .
After reading your posts on this topic you should rephrase your initial post and say:
I've got 162 gr amax in 7 mm load all worked up to my crappy standards and I need one other person to tell me that's is OK to use those on game.

You have one vote from me that it is not.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW