Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-23-2013, 09:51 AM

Default Going gun shopping in Edmonton, Any Recommendations?

Going to Edmonton over easter week-end and I want to go gun shopping. I recently got my restricted/ non-restricted license. Do you have any recommendations? Thinking I want something fun like a mare's leg, a circuit judge, or a small pistol that will fit in my wife's hands.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:55 AM

Check here and CGN first, you will likely pay much less than a retail store.
Place a wanted ad.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-23-2013, 10:01 AM

I'd check out P&D Enterprises and Milarm in Edmonton. But like Ken says, there are deals to be found on here and on CGN.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:04 AM

Must Stops

P&D
Mil Arm
Wholesale Sports
Cabela's
Phoenix Indoor range and gun shop
Wild West Range (@ WEM, not a lot of selection but have a range) Pistol only
Old 03-23-2013, 10:23 AM
Banned

Agreed w/ Ken and others....
Buy used to start.
The gun show is a great place.
Go to the gun range....and most people are happy to let you try different guns to help you.
In time you'll get that expensive piece that you just luv.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:49 AM

I bought many many handguns from Al Baker at Phoenix, the deal was if it shot great I would buy it. I bought mainly used, but was very picky. It's always nice trying before you buy.

I miss Al.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Banned

Check out Uncle Joes Pawn shop... they still sell guns and every once in a while they a gem in there.

Otherwise check out all the places listed and do some price checking.

You also might want to take a hop out to Tofield.
The little shop out there (if its still open) used to have pretty good pre-loved selection sometimes too.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:18 AM

The mares leg are fun for about an hour and they fit easily on a Quad. Other than that they are pretty useless as you can't hold them properly to sight on a target. If you are buying a handgun for your wife then make sure she is there to try it, they all feel and fit differently. Milarm and P&D have a selection of hand guns. P&D has some Polish Makarovs for 299.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:51 AM

I've always had good luck and great service at P&D! You can't go wrong!

The service at the Cabelas gun counter can be hit & miss but they've got a decent selection and usually their prices are pretty good. They've also got the gun library with a decent selection of used guns just to the left of the gun counter.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
The mares leg are fun for about an hour and they fit easily on a Quad. Other than that they are pretty useless as you can't hold them properly to sight on a target. If you are buying a handgun for your wife then make sure she is there to try it, they all feel and fit differently. Milarm and P&D have a selection of hand guns. P&D has some Polish Makarovs for 299.
Agreed, ordered a ranch hand, tried a friends while waiting, was fun for a while but then meh, not much to do with it. Sold mine to a guy unfired, guys with quads love them as they are non-restricted and short enough you can mount crosswise on your handlebar and not have it get hung up in brush while driving.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:57 PM

P&D, P&D, P&D!!! 10552 115St, phone: (780) 420-6419
Best prices around, and all around professional. Every weird thing I find that I want on other dealer's sites, I call P&D for a quote and they are ALWAYS CHEAPER. Some things you have to wait on for an indefinite period of time- but that's true anywhere if you're ordering something they don't have in stock. P&D has managed to find everything I've asked for so far.... not stuff they normally carry. Definitely go see them on customer appreciation day- no tax and free grilled burgers, busy but awesome.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:59 PM

Bashaw Sports down in, guess where- Bashaw, is also great. Hit the local diner/restaurant for some Dexter beef- awesome.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:02 PM

And I know you didn't ask this, but for mail-order online I've had great experience with Prophet River and Wantstalls.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:51 PM

I haven't got a lot of good to say about P&D. Never been impressed with the attitude.
Prices are usually a bit more than other stores (e.g. Ruger 22 handgun was $320 at Nosale Sports but $385 at P&D.

Having said that, I have to also say that they can probably get you something quicker than anywhere else in Edmonton. I have a Ruger GP-100 on order with them. It has been 2 months now and will probably be another 6 before I get it but at least they will eventually get it. The delay is not their fault - shortage all over - Ruger can't keep up with the demand. The others - Nosale, Cabelas etc - didn't even want to talk to me.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here

Last edited by TrollGRG; 03-23-2013 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:55 PM

Lots of good ideas here - WSS has always treated us well.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:12 PM

Quote:
I haven't got a lot of good to say about P&D. Never been impressed with the attitude.
Agreed. I will never set foot in that place again because of Dianne's bitchy demeanor.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by traderal View Post
Thanks for the advice, I actually only want this gun for fun not actually hunting. Thought it would look good to show the grandkids one day. And yes, I have to take the wife, I made her take the course so she can buy me nice guns also LOL.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray13 View Post
Thanks for the advice, I actually only want this gun for fun not actually hunting. Thought it would look good to show the grandkids one day. And yes, I have to take the wife, I made her take the course so she can buy me nice guns also LOL.
Worked for me. She always surprises me at Christmas.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by msguns View Post
P&D, P&D, P&D!!! 10552 115St, phone: (780) 420-6419
Best prices around, and all around professional. Every weird thing I find that I want on other dealer's sites, I call P&D for a quote and they are ALWAYS CHEAPER. Some things you have to wait on for an indefinite period of time- but that's true anywhere if you're ordering something they don't have in stock. P&D has managed to find everything I've asked for so far.... not stuff they normally carry. Definitely go see them on customer appreciation day- no tax and free grilled burgers, busy but awesome.
Got a horse in this race?

I like P&D as well but anyone who claims they have the best prices in town... needs to get out more.

Their rifles are almost always about 20% more than WSS or Cabellas.

Their customer service is tip top though.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:44 PM

i was at p&d today, they had quite a few rossi ranch hands in stock,i though about one for a minute or two but 550 bucks seemed like a waste on that thing.
Old 03-26-2013, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesky672 View Post
Got a horse in this race?

I like P&D as well but anyone who claims they have the best prices in town... needs to get out more.

Their rifles are almost always about 20% more than WSS or Cabellas.

Their customer service is tip top though.
Nope, no horse. Don't know anyone there on a personal level. They've just been great to deal with for us. I don't like WSS or Cabelas- I find them expensive. Maybe it's what I buy? P&D had the best price on the Ruger takedown, Kel-tec PMR30, Norinco JW-20, Henry H001TM, and some others. I shop around heavily online but not so much physically store to store anymore.

As for attitude, it's Phoenix I don't like. Too bad, used to like them and have bought there, but not anymore.

So other than WSS and Cabelas- what do you recommend in/near Edmonton?
Old 03-26-2013, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msguns View Post
Bashaw Sports down in, guess where- Bashaw, is also great. Hit the local diner/restaurant for some Dexter beef- awesome.
X2 skip edmonton and go to bashaw hard to find em cheaper. If not an option I am a big fan of P and D enterprises as well not the cheapest but great selection and Ive had good service.