Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-15-2013, 12:15 AM

Default Registry question

So my grandpa has a 303 and a 22 that he wants to pass down to me but in order to do so he needs to transfer them over to my name.

His pal expired so he is renewing it but he told me that he talked directly to the department in new brunswick and they sent him papers to re-register the guns in my name.

I was under the impression that that whole ordeal was done with and maybe there was just some miss communication between me and my grandpa but I'm just a little confused on what we have to do. If anyone could shed some light on what might be going on here that would be great.

Thanks
Old 03-15-2013, 12:20 AM

There is no registry. Therefore nothing to transfer to your name. All you need to do is go pick up your guns
Old 03-15-2013, 12:20 AM

If you have your PAL already then just pick up the guns and bring them home...Done deal
Old 03-15-2013, 12:22 AM

If you have a valid pal. Take possession of the NR firearms. Done. No paper work involved. If they are restricted you will need a RPal and have to get firearms transferd.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:23 AM

I understand that. Im just wondering what the firearms department is telling my grandpa. He is almost 90, pretty old school and does what the law tells him so how can i go about telling him otherwise?
Old 03-15-2013, 12:27 AM

Go over to his house and give them a call together that way you know for sure what they are telling him...Then take your guns home
Old 03-15-2013, 12:34 AM

That was my plan, just wanted to make sure i had my facts straight before doing so
Old 03-15-2013, 08:24 AM

It sounds like your grandfather is confusing the renewal forms for his PAL, with registration forms, for the firearms.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:56 AM

You have your PAL. Go to grandpas. Pick up guns. Shoot guns. Have fun. Done deal.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickT View Post
So my grandpa has a 303 and a 22 that he wants to pass down to me but in order to do so he needs to transfer them over to my name.

His pal expired so he is renewing it but he told me that he talked directly to the department in new brunswick and they sent him papers to re-register the guns in my name.

I was under the impression that that whole ordeal was done with and maybe there was just some miss communication between me and my grandpa but I'm just a little confused on what we have to do. If anyone could shed some light on what might be going on here that would be great.

Thanks
My uncle (ex-RCMP, by the book guy) had my grandfather's winchester in NB. We talked, he said it should be mine. Transfer was me showing him a copy of my valid PAL and paying him for shipping.

Or in short

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound2Fish View Post
You have your PAL. Go to grandpas. Pick up guns. Shoot guns. Have fun. Done deal.
Enjoy the 303 ... sporterized?

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:56 AM

No he is not confusing forums, He had both and filled out the right one and the rcmp sent him other forums to re register the guns. I'll just have to wait till i can make a trip down there to find out.

The 303 is a jungle carbine. Have never seen it, didn't even know he had guns till he told my dad he wanted to get rid of them and i jumped on it lol.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:20 AM

Somebody is misinforming him the long gun registry is gone if you have a valid PAL go pick up the guns and enjoy. Get him to call the RCMP if he is worried so he will know its OK.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
No he is not confusing forums, He had both and filled out the right one and the rcmp sent him other forums to re register the guns.
Someone is very confused, even when long guns had to be registered, transfers between individuals did not require forms to be filled out by the firearms owner. You simply called the CFC, and it was done over the phone.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickT View Post
No he is not confusing forums, He had both and filled out the right one and the rcmp sent him other forums to re register the guns. I'll just have to wait till i can make a trip down there to find out.

The 303 is a jungle carbine. Have never seen it, didn't even know he had guns till he told my dad he wanted to get rid of them and i jumped on it lol.
Firearms center is still in Mirimichi if he's local to it. Might be worth chatting someone up there as well.

Stupidity is taxable and sometimes I get to be the collector.