Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-08-2013, 09:06 PM

Default Squashing the upgrade bug?

With this recent rifle build I find myself spending every penny I can on a new this or that, and I am really wondering, how do some of you stop this madness?
I keep kicking myself for not getting a .338, for not getting a S&B PMII, for not buying a new barrel... I could go forever!
Old 03-08-2013, 10:00 PM

Go more to the range
Old 03-08-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps View Post
Go more to the range
I got 1-2 times a week. It succeeds at making it worse. Every time I pull the trigger I think "what could have made that better". And... Now I have a Timney on the way...
Old 03-08-2013, 10:57 PM

It never really ends... There is always another upgrade, a different caliber, a better stock, a crisper trigger, a better barrel, stock inletting, action bedding...

.....now compound that with reloading... Bullet/case compairators, concentricity gauges, neck turners, neck die bushings, powder scales, powder throwers, uniforming tools, reaming tools...

At least 2-3 powders per caliber, magnum primers, bench rest primers, 5-10 different bullet types, 2-3 bullet weights per bullet manufacturer...

....of course some of us just build a rifle around the bullet we intend to shoot so that evens the playing field, a powder we know works well in "most" rifles of the same caliber, primers are obvious for the powder we select, of course we all know jewel triggers are excellent, Kreiger/Shilen/PAC-nor and many others make excellent tubes, remmy or salvage actions are affordable, Hogue/McMillan etc for a stock...

........never mind.... There is no end to it.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:57 PM

Adding up your next two years of living cost and tuition ought to do it. Worked for me!
Old 03-08-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverado04 View Post
Adding up your next two years of living cost and tuition ought to do it. Worked for me!
My tuition is already covered thank god. Rent is a whole different ballgame though...

It kills me that right now my R700 is worth more then my car... And I drive a fairly nice car...
Old 03-09-2013, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToXicXxX View Post
My tuition is already covered thank god. Rent is a whole different ballgame though...

It kills me that right now my R700 is worth more then my car... And I drive a fairly nice car...
Either your definition of a fairly nice car and mine are very different or you have WAY too much money tied up in that gun. Beyond a certain point, no matter what equipment you have, the groups won't get better till you do. Once you have about $4000 into a gun built by a top smith in your chosen shooting game, anything more is not going to improve the outcome, only the shooter will.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToXicXxX View Post
With this recent rifle build I find myself spending every penny I can on a new this or that, and I am really wondering, how do some of you stop this madness?
I keep kicking myself for not getting a .338, for not getting a S&B PMII, for not buying a new barrel... I could go forever!
Just shoot the danged gun!
A lot of the stuff sold these days to upgrade rifles does nothing to improve their accuracy, more trigger time will however, but that's just my opinion.
If you want to build a high dollar rifle however, fill your boots.
be prepared to find another rifle you like more one day and then take a bath on your custom build!
Cat
Old 03-09-2013, 07:57 AM

Doing carefull research and consulting ones gunsmith before buying is much cheaper than buying twice. Having said that Iam sure there is plenty of factory guns that would out shoot my custom 243AI any day.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Just shoot the danged gun!
A lot of the stuff sold these days to upgrade rifles does nothing to improve their accuracy, more trigger time will however, but that's just my opinion.
If you want to build a high dollar rifle however, fill your boots.
be prepared to find another rifle you like more one day and then take a bath on your custom build!
Cat
Exactly,you can spend a lot of money adding things to a rifle, that do little or nothing to allow you to shoot it any better, and when you decide to sell the rifle, they add very little to the resale value. Spend your extra cash on ammunition, spend time shooting the rifle, and improve your shooting skills, and you will accomplish far more than you would by purchasing more add ons.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:02 AM

Go shoot next to a guy with a butt ugly old Savage who outshoots you and your expensive whatever all to hell. That should do the trick.

If that doesn't work, get married and have kids quickly. For sure that will work.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
go shoot next to a guy with a butt ugly old savage who outshoots you and your expensive whatever all to hell. That should do the trick.

If that doesn't work, get married and have kids quickly. For sure that will work.
x 100 000!
Old 03-09-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Go shoot next to a guy with a butt ugly old Savage who outshoots you and your expensive whatever all to hell. That should do the trick.

The thing is, not all the savage rifles are ugly, and their match rifles are just as good looking as the rest - but looks are not something i even consider when buying a competitive match rifle.
Cat
Old 03-09-2013, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
The thing is, not all the savage rifles are ugly, and their match rifles are just as good looking as the rest - but looks are not something i even consider when buying a competitive match rifle.
Cat
I was more agreeing with the getting a wife and kids part, lol. That definately puts the brakes on things.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie135 View Post
I was more agreeing with the getting a wife and kids part, lol. That definately puts the brakes on things.
Yup, that will put the brakes on almost ANY extracurricular activity !
Cat
Old 03-09-2013, 09:54 AM

My missus and I enjoy being a couple of DINKS, Duble Income No Kid's.

And now with her getting a little more into the hobby I have suddenly found extra resources available to feed the addiction...
Old 03-09-2013, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Cat
I was thinking along the lines of a beat up old 111 with a bit of rust for character, not some of their more attractive models
Old 03-09-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwheels81 View Post
My missus and I enjoy being a couple of DINKS, Duble Income No Kid's.

And now with her getting a little more into the hobby I have suddenly found extra resources available to feed the addiction...
the joy of being a DINK
Old 03-09-2013, 11:17 AM

Realize that all that money you are dumping into is lost...you wont get it out of if you were to sell it, kinda like car. Your rifle wont be worth what you spent on it, probably not even close.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
Realize that all that money you are dumping into is lost...you wont get it out of if you were to sell it, kinda like car. Your rifle wont be worth what you spent on it, probably not even close.
From what I've seen the AICS stock sells around what it's worth, as does nightforce glass. I'm sure the action won't be worth near as much but it's just an R700.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Either your definition of a fairly nice car and mine are very different or you have WAY too much money tied up in that gun. Beyond a certain point, no matter what equipment you have, the groups won't get better till you do. Once you have about $4000 into a gun built by a top smith in your chosen shooting game, anything more is not going to improve the outcome, only the shooter will.
Well my car is a long story... It's worth a lot more then when I paid for it! Just had to do my share of work, timing belt had broken and destroyed the engine for the previous owner. I paid 2k, it's worth about 8 now. The joys of stupid car owners. I'd call a 2002 Audi A4 a nice car though until I can afford the C300.